Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

still no signal with new ecm

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 03:47 PM
Hanks other son
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
still no signal with new ecm

I'm stumped, this truck is an 87 f150 with a 5.0 from an 89 lincoln. I swapped out the intake and plenum rebuilt the injectors, have the firing order set 13726548 and was not getting a ground pulse signal from the ecm on bank 2 of the injectors { 6-7 on drivers side and 2-3 on pass. side } as it idled "very ruffly" I pulled the plugs of the injectors to confirm this, there was power at the plugs, so I hooked test light to battery and checked the ground, nothing so i then checked pin #59 on the ecm plug still nothing. So I replaced the ecm with the exact same thing ford had installed from the factory double checked the part #. today I installed the new ecm and i have the same problem. So today I pulled the injector harness off the engine tested the entire harness for continuity everything tests out great, i moved it wiggled it still good so i plugged it into the main harness and unplugged the ecm and again tested for con. to the inj. plugs and same thing I moved it wiggled it still works perfect. Now I find it Impossible to believe that this new ecm is bad and has the same problem as the old one. So what do I do next? what am I missing? It started and ran real bad and after checking the new spark plugs just to confirm the center plugs on both sides are dry as a bone. I have tested my fuel pressure at idle it's close to 40 shut it off it doesn't drop. Please if you have any idea's throw them out there any suggestions on what I have over looked, what and how i can further test

Old 09-12-2018, 02:14 AM
Hanks other son
Mountain Pass
Hey subford, are you still out there? from what I've read your a genius when it comes to elec on these rigs, and from everything I've seen it must be there but damn if I can figure it out. And what about you conanski you were the one who schooled me on changing the intake and plenum, do you think it could possibly be a mechanical problem of some sort. This is killing me guy's I have put so much time effort and money in this truck it's killing me. I'm going to try and upload some pics but with my limited skills I'll be lucky to get this posted. Please Please HELP!!!!

Old 09-12-2018, 06:01 AM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm having a hard time finding a wiring diagram for your truck, so here's a couple of general questions/suggestions.

1) Have you checked terminal tension and condition at the ECM plug? You want to inspect to see if any of the terminals (in particular the ones you need for injector control) are spread out or corroded which could be affecting connection to the ECM.

2) Verify ALL primary power and ground inputs to the ECM. Any terminal that provides battery positive, ignition voltage, or ground to the ECM needs to be verified.

3) When you were checking the wiring harness for continuity, what was the meter reading for ohms? Anything more than 0.5 ohm is suspect.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:23 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Seems like I read the same scenario on here about maybe 6 years ago.
It was something odd but do not remember for sure what it was.
For some reason the VSS (over speed) comes to mind.
Also check the IDM.
Have you ran a KOEO electrical test?
Have you checked for stored codes?
Have you ran the solenoid test?
I think the 87 or 89 could run the solenoid test by using the throttle.

EDIT
Sorry the Relay and Solenoid Test (Output State Check) will not check the Fuel injectors.
The fuel injectors and fuel pump are not energized during this test.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Hanks other son
, have the firing order set 13726548
Wrong firing order, should be 15426378

Old 09-12-2018, 09:47 AM
Hanks other son
Mountain Pass
the engine is an 5.0 ho from a 89 lincoln, and I thought the firing order was the one thing that was to remain the same 13726548

Old 09-12-2018, 09:52 AM
Hanks other son
Mountain Pass
I didn't think that there would be any stored codes as I only ran it long enough to verify that it wasn't fixed. also what is the idm you mentioned

Old 09-12-2018, 10:23 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
If it was a HO motor then that is correct, but the only Lincoln to get a HO motor was the LSC, towncars and other 4 door sedans got the regular 5.0.
When you say you have the firing order set you are referring to the plug wires correct? You didn't change any of the injector wiring did you?

Old 09-12-2018, 02:26 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Hanks other son
I didn't think that there would be any stored codes as I only ran it long enough to verify that it wasn't fixed. also what is the idm you mentioned
Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM): Monitors operation of the ignition system.
I was thinking the computer might be seeing an engine over speed through the IDM and is trying to slow the engine by cutting off one bank of injectors.

There is no time limit on engine run time when setting stored codes that I know of.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:28 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
I suspect the pin connector on your main ECM plug may be a bit worn/loose/corroded. Try cleaning the PCM connector.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:06 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
These type problems is where a BreakOut-Box (BOB) comes in handy to find out what is going on.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:58 AM
Hanks other son
Mountain Pass
Sorry I had to go back to work, baled hay all night then had to turn around and wrench all day. I pulled this engine out of an 89 mark 7 it is an ho motor of that I'm sure, original dizzy with the same firing order I rebuilt the injectors from a newer f250 and installed them using the stock wiring harness from my f150 , i hooked everything up as though it were the stock 5.0 that originally came in the truck only thing different was the firing order. shouldn't be a problem right, but this one sure is. thank you Paul, I'm sure some how we'll figure this out, as soon as i get a couple free hours I'm going to start checking out the ecm plug and all wires coming in and out. i'll keep you posted and if anything else comes to mind please say so and I will check it out or go over what I have done. Again Thank you Brian W.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:10 AM
Hanks other son
Mountain Pass
See I just learned something new and now I have a direction in which to go, I'm going to be real busy the next couple of days but as soon as I get some time I am going to check to see if there are any codes set. And if there isn't any on the new ecm do you think that the old ecm would still have them? Also I found one of you old posts in which you were helping someone wire up his 89 460 swap, in the post you showed a bulkhead pinout and I was wondering if that would be the same for my 87 5.0. Thank You Bill, Thank you very much. Brian W.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:15 AM
Hanks other son
Mountain Pass
Do you have any suggestions on what I could use to clean it? like electromotive cleaner ? That is a good idea though I never really considered it as being the culprit. Thank you Lead Head I will certainly clean and inspect it. Brian W.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:19 AM
Hanks other son
Mountain Pass
Hey Bill what is a break out box and how much $ I have never minded spending money on tools, it just frosts my *** when i waste it on ecm's that I don't need.

Quick Reply: still no signal with new ecm