Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold start noise

Old 09-07-2018, 07:01 AM
acf6
Post Fiend
acf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputation
Cold start noise

Good morning, I have a 15 6.7 with 49k on it, bone stock engine. Oil changes every 5k wth valvoline 5-40 and motorcraft filters.

Upon cold starts (cold engine, does it if itís 95* outside) I am getting a tick that happens about every 2 seconds, for roughly 15 seconds. Sounds like itís coming from rear of engine/transmission area. It does it the entire oil change interval, and only does it when the engines cold for 15 seconds...then itís gone. Fairly loud tick, you can very easily hear it from 10-15 feet from the truck, although Iím having a hard time capturing it in a video.

Everything Iíve read about the typewriter tick says itís mostly when warmed up, not cold, and that itíll start to diminish as you accumulate miles on your oil change. This tick is constant for the whole 5k. Once the engine is warm I donít have any ticks. Curious if anyone has experienced anything similar, or what they think this could be. Thanks

Old 09-10-2018, 02:28 AM
golfmedik
Post Fiend
golfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputation
Hmmmm....I wonder if it would do it with conventional oil in it? Just something to think about trying.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:36 PM
Boaterguy
Senior User
Boaterguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by acf6 View Post
Good morning, I have a 15 6.7 with 49k on it, bone stock engine. Oil changes every 5k wth valvoline 5-40 and motorcraft filters.

Upon cold starts (cold engine, does it if itís 95* outside) I am getting a tick that happens about every 2 seconds, for roughly 15 seconds. Sounds like itís coming from rear of engine/transmission area. It does it the entire oil change interval, and only does it when the engines cold for 15 seconds...then itís gone. Fairly loud tick, you can very easily hear it from 10-15 feet from the truck, although Iím having a hard time capturing it in a video.

Everything Iíve read about the typewriter tick says itís mostly when warmed up, not cold, and that itíll start to diminish as you accumulate miles on your oil change. This tick is constant for the whole 5k. Once the engine is warm I donít have any ticks. Curious if anyone has experienced anything similar, or what they think this could be. Thanks
There is nothing wrong with your truck, but possibly with your oil choice. The tick you describe is not a new issue with these engines, as well as diesels from other manufacturers.

Research Ford TSB 10-19-2

The noise has to do with the relationship between your camshaft, other internal engine parts, and your oils film. A 5W-40 synthetic is perfect for your engine, but I would try a different brand from Fords approved list. A good replacement would be Shell Rotella T6, but just remember to buy the oil marked only CK-4, not multi vehicle since those oils have lower phosphorus levels.

I would be curious to see if that solves your problem or changes the noise since many on here have had great results with Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme. But it is noteworthy to say that I have used T6 in my truck since day 1 (2015 powerstroke) and have never heard a tick noise.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:11 AM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
I haven't thought about (or heard) the tick in a long time. Mine must have stopped with the switch to Rotella T6 within the 50k range. Previous oil was Motorcraft 15w-40.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: