7.3L / 6.8L V8 Gasoline Engines Discuss the new 7.3 and 6.8L Gasoline V8s

7.3L gasser CONFIRMED!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 11:22 AM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Realistically, if the DPF/SCR system has a major failure, the cheapest (and best) option is to simply delete. Illegal, but still the best option.
Certainly true, but many folks in many states don't have that option due to the fact that they have to have their vehicles inspected annually (or anally, however you wish to look at it).

Old 09-06-2018, 12:27 PM
Hjabernathy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A big gas engine with 500lb-ft coupled to a 10-speed transmission would do just fine. I've had two gas Super Duty trucks (6.2L engines) and 4 diesel 6.7L trucks including the one I have now. Lifetime average on my 2015 F-350 gas was 10.9mpg. Lifetime on my current 2017 F-250 diesel is only 13.9mpg. Diesel is $0.25/gal more than regular unleaded. I know the diesel pulls easier, but I bet 500lb-ft would do very well. I usually tow about 12,000lbs.

Thought I’d throw out some percentage numbers to think about for those that aren’t tuned into percentages, which IMHO mean more than most things. 13.9 vs 10.9 mpg is a 27.5% increase. To me, that’s BIG. I will be towing about 9500lbs and loading the truck with about 2000lbs as a full time RVer. If I get 14mpg average, I will be far ahead of my current average (which I’m not sure of) in my 2014 5.7L Tundra in which we’re fortunate to get 15 not towing; we get 9.2mpg consistently towing, unless I drive the freeway speed limit in Arizona (75) when I get 7.2mpg.

As for the cost of diesel or gas fuel, I have been paying attention to the variation since deciding to get a diesel. The price difference is typically less than 10% (at $3/ gal for gas, that’s less than $3.30/gal for diesel). From what I’ve read on this forum and from talking about to Ford 250 and 350 owners with diesels, the improved mpg with diesel is on the order of 25% or better over gas, especially while towing. Let’s see - say 7% higher cost for fuel and getting 25% better mpg. Diesel is better by a significant margin hands down. For those who doubt the 25% figure, consider this. While towing, my gas Tundra gets 9.2mpg. If my soon-to-be ordered Ford diesel F-350 gets 12.2mpg, a figure that I’ve heard from several owners, that is a 32.5% better mpg. Until someone can provide conflicting data, I believe diesel is a winner from a net cost standpoint.

My final comment regards the cost of diesel in Alaska. I was looking at Gas Buddy and was surprised to see diesel CHEAPER than regular gas, and the price of both was cheaper than anywhere in the lower 48. Just saying.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Ben Elliott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing to consider , all the “newer” gas engines that have come out recently have some crazy oil they take..my 6.4 hemis take European blend penzoil , my Colorado / suburban take dexos ect. With ford owning master craft expect the 7.3 to take an expensive blend of oil. We put delo in all our diesels which you can get at Costco for cheap and all run without flaw.

Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by roadpilot
Why would they buy an ESP? The SCR/DPF are NOT covered under any Ford ESP.
All the emissions crap is covered for 7 years and 70,000 miles here in California. I'm happy with that coverage, I usually keep my vehicles about 7 years anyways.

nick112288
More Turbo
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Hjabernathy

Thought I’d throw out some percentage numbers to think about for those that aren’t tuned into percentages, which IMHO mean more than most things. 13.9 vs 10.9 mpg is a 27.5% increase. To me, that’s BIG. I will be towing about 9500lbs and loading the truck with about 2000lbs as a full time RVer. If I get 14mpg average, I will be far ahead of my current average (which I’m not sure of) in my 2014 5.7L Tundra in which we’re fortunate to get 15 not towing; we get 9.2mpg consistently towing, unless I drive the freeway speed limit in Arizona (75) when I get 7.2mpg.

As for the cost of diesel or gas fuel, I have been paying attention to the variation since deciding to get a diesel. The price difference is typically less than 10% (at $3/ gal for gas, that’s less than $3.30/gal for diesel). From what I’ve read on this forum and from talking about to Ford 250 and 350 owners with diesels, the improved mpg with diesel is on the order of 25% or better over gas, especially while towing. Let’s see - say 7% higher cost for fuel and getting 25% better mpg. Diesel is better by a significant margin hands down. For those who doubt the 25% figure, consider this. While towing, my gas Tundra gets 9.2mpg. If my soon-to-be ordered Ford diesel F-350 gets 12.2mpg, a figure that I’ve heard from several owners, that is a 32.5% better mpg. Until someone can provide conflicting data, I believe diesel is a winner from a net cost standpoint.

My final comment regards the cost of diesel in Alaska. I was looking at Gas Buddy and was surprised to see diesel CHEAPER than regular gas, and the price of both was cheaper than anywhere in the lower 48. Just saying.
Actual usage also plays a big role in that. So lets say everything works out that in the end I will be saving money by buying the diesel and using it. WOO! Oh wait I only plan on towing 2 MAYBE 3 times a year. How long does that take before it actually pays for itself? Daily drive the diesel to make it happen even quicker? Why, I've got a different vehicle I can drive that gets better mileage?

Again I'm not saying no one should get a diesel, but to claim the mileage pays for itself you would have to do a case by case analysis. If someones reason is they just HAVE to have that diesel because it's a TOTAL BADASS TORQUE MACHINE then go ahead, get it. Get whatever YOU want.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:41 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by roadpilot
Why would they buy an ESP? The SCR/DPF are NOT covered under any Ford ESP.
Things I have had go out diesel related EGR and DEF system are covered by the Ford ESP.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:52 PM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Received 273 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben Elliott
One thing to consider , all the “newer” gas engines that have come out recently have some crazy oil they take..my 6.4 hemis take European blend penzoil ,
One of several reasons I didn't buy a RAM Heavy Duty. The Ford 6.2 called for standard 5w30 albeit recommended Synthetic Blend.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Jack4x
I sold my 8.1 Chevy when I ordered my new F350. Great engine, with a cheap and flimsy truck around it. 8 mpg empty is not even close to true, I would normally get 11 city, 13 highway. 10 mpg average towing an open car hauler across the country, including over the mountains in CO. Not great, but not radically less than people are getting now with gas trucks that are 15 years newer. I'm very curious to see what Ford can do with a modern big block.
Not sure what 8.1 you got but the one in my buddy's suburban sees 8mpg daily. Quick google search pretty much says 11 city 13 highway is farther from the truth. https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/6-...s-6-0-mpg.html

While I really like the Ford V10, it did not easily mop the floor with anything GM and Dodge had at the time. Let's see...in 2001 you could get both the Vortec 8.1 which we already covered, and you could also get the 8.0L V10 from Dodge. At the time, both produced more power or at least torque than the Ford V10.
Again, picking certain years makes the comparison lopsided. My truck was an 08. At the time, it demolished the competition. Pickup Truck Shootout Part 3

But since you brought up the 01 dodge v10... the Ford whuped it back in 98 with the 275hp non pi V10. Once again... rpms. You can imagine how that would look with another 35hp, 15tq and the longer powerband of the PI heads for a 2001... https://www.motortrend.com/cars/dodg...8/f250-vs-ram/

Ford's gas engines have always been great. If there was a forced induction one available in a superduty, because of the altitudes I have to deal with, I'd have one over a diesel in a heartbeat.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:56 PM
h20camper
Logistics Pro
Received 273 Likes on 188 Posts

But you also have to include into this the additional ~$9k in purchasing the diesel. Using your examples:

Gas @ $3.000 @ 9.2 mpg for 100k miles = $32k in fuel
Diesel @ $3.30 @ 12.2mpg for 100k miles = $27k in fuel

So at 100k, you're still down $4k with the diesel. Plus the higher cost of ownership during those 100k miles.

Granted, the diesel would make for a better 'towing' experience if that is the truck's primary use.

(And the higher price of the diesel truck at resale doesn't play into this. You still had to pay for the diesel upgrade to begin with.)

Old 09-06-2018, 12:58 PM
RPFB
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Strokin-A-2010
Looks like they will be getting rid of both the 6.2 and 6.8.

Which plant is this from? It appears to be from OHAP given they talk about upgrading the interiors in all 3 products in 2020. OHAP makes E-series, Chassis Cab F-series and MD F-series. Kentucky Truck makes F-250-F550, Expedition and Navigator. Interior upgrades make much more sense in the former rather than the latter (given F250-F550 would be getting interior upgrades in both plants) than the brand new Expedition and Navigator getting new interiors so quick after launch. And there has been no word of an Expedition and Navigator MCE launching in 2020.

Given the above, and the 6.2L's inclusion on the oil chart it seems to make the most sense that E-series and F-series MD are getting upgraded interiors and the 6.2L is disappearing from the E-series and the 6.8L is disappearing in all applications rather than the F-250/F-350 pickup losing the 6.2L.

Furthermore, F250-F550 plus Expedition and Navigator already have FordPass connectivity (4G LTE). E-series and F-series MD do not.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic

To give you some more numbers to go on: My F350 6.7 DRW was around 13.5-14 empty and 12 towing a 21ft bumper pull camper; 10.5-11 pulling the 39ft 5th wheel I have now. The v10 f350 was 11 around town, 13 hwy... and 7-8 pulling the 21ft camper. The difference when towing is night and day, not just from a $ perspective, but how often you have to stop and fuel up as well.

The 2.7 F150 got 21 empty around town with me driving it like it was stolen, and dropped to 11-12 towing that 21ft trailer. It was one angry little truck. Not needing to rev to the moon is why I think it did way better than the V10. If you go through AZ, you're familiar with the places on both I17 and 87 where they go to 3 lanes because of how steep the hill is. Those separate the men from the boys IMO. Whenever I got to that hill with the V10, it was all "let me sing you the song of my people"... at 5000 rpm lol

If you're getting an SRW you'll see a significant difference with mine empty... that rear axle and extra wheels kill economy.. But I never once regretted buying it, it was a beast when towing. Now the 450 can't get here soon enough...

Old 09-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by h20camper
But you also have to include into this the additional ~$9k in purchasing the diesel. Using your examples:

Gas @ $3.000 @ 9.2 mpg for 100k miles = $32k in fuel
Diesel @ $3.30 @ 12.2mpg for 100k miles = $27k in fuel

So at 100k, you're still down $4k with the diesel. Plus the higher cost of ownership during those 100k miles.

Granted, the diesel would make for a better 'towing' experience if that is the truck's primary use.

(And the higher price of the diesel truck at resale doesn't play into this. You still had to pay for the diesel upgrade to begin with.)
Your calculation is spot on, but what you're basically saying with your last line is, if you sell the truck at 100k you've broken even.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:20 PM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 314 Likes on 151 Posts

BULL. I paid $2.39 for 87 today in Tennessee. The cheapest gas in Alaska is usually in the Anchorage area and today it averaged in the low $3 range for 87. Diesel was about $3.20

Did you just decide to make up these facts? Or pull them out of your butt?

Old 09-06-2018, 01:23 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well for me the gas motors do not perform as well as the oil burners. Never have never will. It is a heat thing. Gas motors do not like to idle with the AC on for hours at a time at the ranch in 115 degree heat. Oil burners blow cold air in those conditions and stay at below normal temps compared to driving down the highway in the same heat empty. I could care less about the $$$$$$$$'s involved.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:26 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
Well for me the gas motors do not perform as well as the oil burners. Never have never will. It is a heat thing. Gas motors do not like to idle with the AC on for hours at a time in 115 degree heat. Oil burners blow cold air in those conditions and stay at below normal temps compared to driving down the highway in the same heat empty. I could care less about the $$$$$$$$'s involved.
Never had issues with the AC in my gas trucks... or diesels. Now, my cherokee... the thing needs to be in a hurricane in the middle of winter in Alaska for the AC to blow truly cold... My gas F150 would put you out of the cab in about half hour here in AZ... was a regular cab so it cooled down stupid fast. My mustang is the same way.

Quick Reply: 7.3L gasser CONFIRMED!!!!