1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Help replacing the weird rat trap throttle linkage.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 12:27 AM
Missin'A Gear
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help replacing the weird rat trap throttle linkage.

So I have a stock 69 f100 with 302 and the really weird contraption of a throttle linkage. It’s bent out of shape and some of the pins are ragged out and I have to adjust the carb by hand to get it to run, making it undrivable. Some research says that you can replace it with a traditional ball end and rod set up. I don’t have access to right now to measure because I’m currently overseas, and my time home is limited so I need help with what length I need to order before hand. My understanding is all I need is just the rod and ball ends. So what you gentleman could help me with is length I need and if any additional parts are required. I apologize if it seems I’m asking a lot but I really couldn’t find much online about this. Thanks I’n advance!

Old 09-17-2018, 05:15 PM
lilorbie
Laughing Gas
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Missin AGear you need to go to you-tube and type in TheCraig909. he has a 71 f-100 with a 302.he has a complete video on what you are wanting to do. you don,t need to pre order anything. watch his video and it will tell you everything that you need to know.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:01 AM
tpdaniels
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lilorbie
Missin AGear you need to go to you-tube and type in TheCraig909. he has a 71 f-100 with a 302.he has a complete video on what you are wanting to do. you don,t need to pre order anything. watch his video and it will tell you everything that you need to know.
He has a 159 videos on YouTube, do you happen to know which one your talking about

Old 09-18-2018, 06:21 AM
lilorbie
Laughing Gas
tpdaniels yes i do. the one you need to look for , the title is Custom Throttle linkage. it would have been nice if he had numbered his videos like some do. but he did not. you do not need to special order any thing for this. the Extremely small town that i live in population just over 10k. had every thing that i needed to do this on my 67 Mustang. i bought enough stuff to do the swap on my 67 f-100 when i swap in my 302/c4.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:15 PM
Missin'A Gear
Junior User
That’s perfect gentlemen! Thank you so much. I’ll post photos when I get back stateside next month.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:56 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
A length of steel or aluminum rod, two small rod ends, and a die... that's all ya need to make a custom linkage.

Okay, add a small vise, hacksaw, and tape measure.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:50 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
A length of steel or aluminum rod, two small rod ends, and a die... that's all ya need to make a custom linkage.

Okay, add a small vise, hacksaw, and tape measure.
You got any pics by chance?

Old 09-18-2018, 04:59 PM
lilorbie
Laughing Gas
HIO Silver just make sure that the tape measure does Not come from harbor freight.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:39 AM
sxgriff
Cross-Country
I made this one for my 66 mustang that I found on a mustang forum back then. 2 rod ends and a piece of 3/16 rod I believe. 2 1/4x20 allen head screws and elastic stop nuts.
There is 4 tapered hard rubber washers that are for plumbing used for mounting and centering the and mounting the rod ends to the linkage.
Works like a charm.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:14 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lilorbie
HIO Silver just make sure that the tape measure does Not come from harbor freight.
Ugh, don't get me started with those POS things. Guys at my work seem to LOVE them since they are cheap(or free?). I get pissed just seeing one laying around(hard to miss being bright green or orange).
Oh, did I mention I work at a machine shop? Ya, a place where it counts to be some what accurate?

Old 09-19-2018, 05:59 PM
lilorbie
Laughing Gas
Freightrain don,t sugar coat it . tell us how you really feel about harbor freight tapes measures .lol. that,s why the tape in my tool box is at least 45 years old . it,s a Stanley. made in the U.S.A. still has the og. tape in it. now having said that, the next time i use it the tape will break.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:36 PM
Thipdar
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Missin'A Gear
So I have a stock 69 f100 with 302 and the really weird contraption of a throttle linkage. It’s bent out of shape and some of the pins are ragged out and I have to adjust the carb by hand to get it to run, making it undrivable. Some research says that you can replace it with a traditional ball end and rod set up. I don’t have access to right now to measure because I’m currently overseas, and my time home is limited so I need help with what length I need to order before hand. My understanding is all I need is just the rod and ball ends. So what you gentleman could help me with is length I need and if any additional parts are required. I apologize if it seems I’m asking a lot but I really couldn’t find much online about this. Thanks I’n advance!
As I've mentioned before, that "trapeze" arrangement was made that way for a reason. It helps stabilize the operation of the carb when the engine's vibrating or shifting under load.

I can understand the desire to replace it. I feel the same way. But whatever you do, make darned sure that you aren't adding unforeseen problems when you modify your machine!

With a straight rod replacing it, if you break a motor mount and add some acceleration, you've got a recipe for a run-away throttle condition that could be fatally catastrophic.

If I were forced to change from the "trapeze" arrangement, I think I'd go with a throttle cable (like the later trucks are reported to have) instead of a solid rod.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:01 PM
1browski
Fleet Mechanic
Received 221 Likes on 192 Posts
When I swapped to a four barrel carb on my 70 f250, I made a straight throttle linkage. I found it on a mustang forum as well. It works good. I kept all original parts for the truck just in case but Im not planning on switching back.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:03 PM
RichS2659
Cargo Master
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Thipdar
As I've mentioned before, that "trapeze" arrangement was made that way for a reason. It helps stabilize the operation of the carb when the engine's vibrating or shifting under load.

I can understand the desire to replace it. I feel the same way. But whatever you do, make darned sure that you aren't adding unforeseen problems when you modify your machine!

With a straight rod replacing it, if you break a motor mount and add some acceleration, you've got a recipe for a run-away throttle condition that could be fatally catastrophic.

If I were forced to change from the "trapeze" arrangement, I think I'd go with a throttle cable (like the later trucks are reported to have) instead of a solid rod.
Don't plan on buying a Dent as Ford outfitted them with a simple rod system. I'm sure that if there was a real problem with straight rods, Ford wouldn't have used them in the millions of them that they built.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:13 AM
Thipdar
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RichS2659
Don't plan on buying a Dent as Ford outfitted them with a simple rod system. I'm sure that if there was a real problem with straight rods, Ford wouldn't have used them in the millions of them that they built.
I don't plan on buying a dent.
I would be really interested in learning about the change in Ford's design philosophy, why they built the 'trapeze' arrangement to begin with (especially if it was something other than that throttle runaway condition I mentioned) and then why they decided it wasn't needed any more.

Quick Reply: Help replacing the weird rat trap throttle linkage.