2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Fresh out of warranty... Check Engine...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 08:56 PM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Received 2,339 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Fresh out of warranty... Check Engine...

Almost like they planned it. Not a single issue with this truck in almost two years and 60k miles. I did my 60k oil change, checked things over, had the tires rotated and balanced and set off on a 500 mile trip to Kansas. About 4 hours into the drive I get a check engine light. No change in running, no change in fuel consumption so I finish the trip, cruise set just under 85. We get to our son's place and I use his code reader.

The code that cause the check engine light to come on is for low coolant temp. Right.... after 4 hours of driving in the mountains. I reset the code and have driven the truck 30-40 miles since with no issue. What kind of stupid code is "low coolant temp"? I mean really low and you could wash the cylinders and do some damage but otherwise, seriously? Never heard of such a thing. Almost certainly a conspiracy by Ford to get me to waste money at their dealer network... perfect timing and not really a problem to be fixed. Just found it ridiculous... I despise electronics in my vehicle and this is a prime example of why. I think what I really need is a '76 hi boy

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-26-2023, 09:28 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Engines have to run fairly hot in order to meet emission requirements so possibly why it triggered a CEL. Could be a fluke or perhaps a thermostat may need to be changed.

I do agree with your hi boy solution.

Old 05-27-2023, 04:41 AM
pdumpbody
Mountain Pass
Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by RidgwaySD
Almost like they planned it. Not a single issue with this truck in almost two years and 60k miles. I did my 60k oil change, checked things over, had the tires rotated and balanced and set off on a 500 mile trip to Kansas. About 4 hours into the drive I get a check engine light. No change in running, no change in fuel consumption so I finish the trip, cruise set just under 85. We get to our son's place and I use his code reader.

The code that cause the check engine light to come on is for low coolant temp. Right.... after 4 hours of driving in the mountains. I reset the code and have driven the truck 30-40 miles since with no issue. What kind of stupid code is "low coolant temp"? I mean really low and you could wash the cylinders and do some damage but otherwise, seriously? Never heard of such a thing. Almost certainly a conspiracy by Ford to get me to waste money at their dealer network... perfect timing and not really a problem to be fixed. Just found it ridiculous... I despise electronics in my vehicle and this is a prime example of why. I think what I really need is a '76 hi boy
edited out criticisms, turning over a new leaf

The following 2 users liked this post by pdumpbody:
Old 05-27-2023, 05:04 AM
GAZZILLA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,073 Likes on 589 Posts
My temp sending unit on ‘04 Silverado when bad at 110k miles and 15 years. Might be that or a stuck open thermostat.

Old 05-27-2023, 02:01 PM
twobelugas
Cargo Master
Received 1,372 Likes on 849 Posts
Originally Posted by pdumpbody
In a controlled environment, with the big 3 colluding under the watchful eye of the federal government, the customer's alternatives will be reduced or eliminated, and now the firm can treat its customers like possessions to be exploited. Warning lights are just one means. I think if customers were aware of the full degree of exploitation now taking place in US auto markets, including political, things might change.
why think for one's self when they can get life instructions from youtube and tiktok?

I saw the new ad for the GMC assisted cruise control where grown a** people sit in their pickup on the highway going down the road and clapping to the Queens song. This is where we are now, where pick up owners are too lazy to keep their hands on the steering wheel, open the tailgate, figure out what gear to be in, or use their mirrors and backup camera to figure out where they are, and yet people keep taking on longer and bigger payments to get more "tech".

The following 2 users liked this post by twobelugas:
Old 05-27-2023, 02:20 PM
OverheadCram
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,085 Likes on 650 Posts
Just be glad its not a GM. Ive had GM trucks come in the shop in limp mode with overheating dash message and DTC codes... thermostat is stuck open.

At least our Ford's knows the difference between below operating temp, at operating temp, and overheating.

Old 05-27-2023, 02:34 PM
shawnee1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 435 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by twobelugas
why think for one's self when they can get life instructions from youtube and tiktok?

I saw the new ad for the GMC assisted cruise control where grown a** people sit in their pickup on the highway going down the road and clapping to the Queens song. This is where we are now, where pick up owners are too lazy to keep their hands on the steering wheel, open the tailgate, figure out what gear to be in, or use their mirrors and backup camera to figure out where they are, and yet people keep taking on longer and bigger payments to get more "tech".
Interesting that you included a piece of "tech" in your list.

Old 05-27-2023, 03:12 PM
Pbergmann
Cross-Country
Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts
I think your suspicions are well placed. Auto manufacturers have indeed been using electronics to increase revenues, by compromising their customers. As we all know, this kind of behavior is characteristic of controlled "markets" or central planning.

In a competitive environment, a firm that compromises its customers will lose the customer. Since the customer has other choices. The big 3 oppose this and have opted to collude with the government instead.

In a controlled environment, with the big 3 colluding under the watchful eye of the federal government, the customer's alternatives will be reduced or eliminated, and now the firm can treat its customers like possessions to be exploited. Warning lights are just one means. I think if customers were aware of the full degree of exploitation now taking place in US auto markets, including political, things might change.
That's why I always wrap my head in aluminum foil when I drive. It's all a conspiracy!!

The following 4 users liked this post by Pbergmann:
Old 05-28-2023, 06:52 AM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Doesn't seem to have been of any consequence as of yet. Codes cleared and I put about 200 miles on it yesterday, nothing unusual at all.

I think it was just upset I was taking it out of the mountains...

The following 2 users liked this post by RidgwaySD:
Old 05-28-2023, 08:14 AM
110 Motorsports
Mountain Pass
Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts
I think your suspicions are well placed. Auto manufacturers have indeed been using electronics to increase revenues, by compromising their customers. As we all know, this kind of behavior is characteristic of controlled "markets" or central planning.

In a competitive environment, a firm that compromises its customers will lose the customer. Since the customer has other choices. The big 3 oppose this and have opted to collude with the government instead.

Exactly, why it makes my skin crawl to see response on these forums, if you don’t like something don’t buy or get something else. When they collude, limit barriers to entry, you really don’t have much of a choice anymore.

Old 05-28-2023, 03:12 PM
twobelugas
Cargo Master
Received 1,372 Likes on 849 Posts
Originally Posted by shawnee1
Interesting that you included a piece of "tech" in your list.
The blind spots on the new trucks due to the much higher height is a real problem and back up camera has been standard on trucks for close to a decade now.

if that’s your best “aha gotcha”, well, congrats.

Old 05-28-2023, 07:33 PM
Power_Stroking
Tuned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
You set a p0128. It’s not a conspiracy. If the engine doesn’t reach operating temp in a calibrated amount of time you set that code. The conspiracy won’t seem as so when you have luke warm heat in the winter because your not running warm enough . 😂. Change your thermostat. They are a dual thermostat and the rubber around them breaks down. When you take the old one out pay attention to orientation as it needs to go back in the exact same way. Takes about 25 mins tops to replace.

The following 3 users liked this post by Power_Stroking:
Old 05-28-2023, 08:15 PM
Bigfin
5th Wheeling
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Interesting that I had my first trouble code a couple of weeks ago. P0128 was what was indicated (coolant temp low). I reset it and just got back from a 200 mile trip hauling the TT, no reoccurrence. We shall see???

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-28-2023, 08:47 PM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Power_Stroking
You set a p0128. It’s not a conspiracy. If the engine doesn’t reach operating temp in a calibrated amount of time you set that code. The conspiracy won’t seem as so when you have luke warm heat in the winter because your not running warm enough . 😂. Change your thermostat. They are a dual thermostat and the rubber around them breaks down. When you take the old one out pay attention to orientation as it needs to go back in the exact same way. Takes about 25 mins tops to replace.
Never looked like it was running cool on the gauge and this was 4 hours into a trip, not anywhere near after start up. Put another 300 miles on it today and no issues. The rubber has "broken down" in 18 months time? Doesn't seem real plausible to me...

Old 05-29-2023, 09:43 AM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,770 Posts
What was the code???

Quick Reply: Fresh out of warranty... Check Engine...