2019 - 2023 Ranger Everything about the new 2019-2023 Ford Ranger.

New Ford Ranger preview

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 05:43 PM
CJ455
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Ford Ranger preview

Check out this preview by CarConnection.com: https://www.thecarconnection.com/ove...rd_ranger_2019

Gets me excited about the Ranger.. And to be honest, I really like the bronze-y gold color in the article. Here's a quick summary of the Car Connection's preview:
  • High strength steel frame
  • 2.3 litter turbocharged 4 cylinder
  • 10 speed automatic transmission
  • Horsepower + torque TBA
  • Max towing capacity TBA (see other thread for max towing capacity discussion)
  • Standard rear drive or four wheel drive + low range gearing option
  • 5 passenger seating
  • Apple Car Play / Android Auto + Amazon Alexa
  • Offered in chrome and sport appearance packages
  • Offered in FX2 and FX4 off road packages
  • Standard forward collision warning
  • Automatic emergency brake
  • XLT and Lariat models get rear park assist, lane departure warning, active lane control, and blind spot monitors (help with towing as well)
I really like that they made forward collision warning and automatic emergency brake standard on all models. What do you guys think about the new Ranger so far?

Old 08-09-2018, 05:59 PM
Johnny Mayday
FTE Town Crier
The gold color is awesome. I really like the Lightening Blue too! All the specs sound good, but I think this would be a great opportunity to bring back the Lightening. Give how most people don't take their trucks off road, I think it would be an even bigger hit than the Raptor.

Also? When the heck is Ford going to confirm Ranger Raptor availability? Jeez....

Old 08-10-2018, 06:44 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
When I look at a vehicles color, the first question that I ask is: How well will it age and what will it look like in 5 years. These questions commonly bring me back to the core colors.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:07 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice stuff although not too much of it is really surprising. I am guessing Ford is rushing to get the big volume mass market versions onto sales lots and into showrooms and will announce the Raptor (if they decide to offer one in the US) later, maybe with other engine options.

After all, they killed the F150 Raptor after the 2014 run, introduced the aluminum F150 in 2015, and waited fully until 2017 to reintroduce the new F150 Raptor...

I'm waiting for the Bronco myself--that will sell more units than a Ranger Raptor, I would think, and would hope that Ford has its engineers working on that.

Edit--As for color, I agree that trendy and bright colors are not my thing at all (no orange/gold, neon green, purple, etc)....I actually like good old Oxford White, or silver, because they keep a vehicle cooler inside and because they don't show dirt as much... Dark colors look great when freshly washed but not with a couple days of dirt or dust on them.

George

Old 08-10-2018, 05:39 PM
CJ455
Freshman User
Good point about the color. I tend to lean towards the dark side of the spectrum for that very reason. Although I cannot help but admire vehicles with unique coloring when done well (works with the design + style of the vehicle).

Hoping Ford impresses us with both the new Raptor and the Bronco!

Old 08-10-2018, 09:00 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
Better dead, than no Ruby Red!!!

Old 08-11-2018, 08:19 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I can only speculate at the price But I would be willing to bet a stripped out 2wd with no options is going to be at least $25k

Old 08-14-2018, 05:29 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I messed around on Ford's website today and built up a Ranger Scab XLT with the chrome package that looked really sharp in the flame red. I went with the 302A package just so I could get the sliding rear window. I would do that with the tan interior.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Johnny Mayday
FTE Town Crier
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I can only speculate at the price But I would be willing to bet a stripped out 2wd with no options is going to be at least $25k
And you were right! $25,395, to be exact. I think it's hilarious that the 24k price that everyone talking about last week was for one without a bed. I just imagine someone looking at the front approvingly, then going for a side view and going, "wait a minute..." Ha ha ha!

And a little wild that the bed is only a $300 option?

Old 08-15-2018, 04:54 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday
And you were right! $25,395, to be exact. I think it's hilarious that the 24k price that everyone talking about last week was for one without a bed. I just imagine someone looking at the front approvingly, then going for a side view and going, "wait a minute..." Ha ha ha!

And a little wild that the bed is only a $300 option?

And considering a F150 starts out @ $27k then the ranger is priced too high

Old 08-15-2018, 07:48 PM
Johnny Mayday
FTE Town Crier
And considering a F150 starts out @ $27k then the ranger is priced to high
Good point. Seems on par with stuff in its class, at least.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:43 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
And considering a F150 starts out @ $27k then the ranger is priced to high
An F150 Supercab starts at $33,285 when you include destination which puts the comparison on more of an "apples and smaller apples" basis. The $25,395 Ranger is a Supercab and includes destination. Looks like the Ranger also has power windows and maybe some other basic options included where the F150 does not...

Americans are accustomed to thinking that vehicles should be priced "by the pound" or by the "cubic foot" instead of their sophistication and content. It's not all about raw materials...

Old 08-16-2018, 05:41 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Based on the article that George was nice enough to share a few days ago, the Ranger is coming standard with the Ford 360 safety suite as will the 2019 Fusion and Edge. The may allude that as Ford updates each new vehicle that the safety suite will be included. Currently only Subaru, Honda and Toyota offer this similar system across their line ups.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:31 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
I'm all for safety, don't get me wrong, but that 360 package is $735 that I'd rather spend elsewhere on a new truck. I feel like it's being jammed down my throat. It's like Ford is trying to make money on Darwin Award candidates, and passing it off as a safety concern that all will recognize and fall in line with hands raised to the sky.
They've bundled stuff in the packages that makes it pretty expensive to get the things you want, and including mostly stuff that makes no difference, to this guy.
Try to get something as simple as remote start on a stand alone option as an example.
At least, for the most part, on my '17, options were a little more sensible in the way they were packaged. True, I got a couple things I really don't care about.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:48 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tseekins
Based on the article that George was nice enough to share a few days ago, the Ranger is coming standard with the Ford 360 safety suite as will the 2019 Fusion and Edge. The may allude that as Ford updates each new vehicle that the safety suite will be included. Currently only Subaru, Honda and Toyota offer this similar system across their line ups.
Hey Tim:
Although that is what the article said, the XL version of the Ranger will only have the forward pre-collision assist auto braking and pedestrian detection. You will have to move up to the XLT (another $3 grand) to get the full 360 suite with blind spot detection, etc.

That said, with both the F150 and Ranger, VERY few private individuals (as opposed to fleets) are gonna buy XL's. Dealers always have a huge stock of the higher trim lines on their lots, and buyers will almost always choose the nicer truck with alloy wheels, bigger tires, and nicer interior trim when they are actually putting down their money.

The number of people who buy a regular cab F150 XL, outside of municipal and commercial fleets, is REALLY small--but they clearly are the best value "by the pound". My local dealer has 238 F150's in stock right now. And exactly TWO trucks are XL's. They are regular cab but 4WD and the 101A trim and sticker at $37k. The "$27,000 F150" does not exist in the real world.

Of the 238 trucks, only 2 are regular cabs, 3 are Supercabs, and the other 233 are Supercrews. The cheapest Supercab is an XLT at $47,000. The cheapest Supercrew is an XLT with a $48,000 price sticker. In the real world of dealer lots, F150's basically start at 50 grand and go up from there....although rebates and discounts are fairly generous.

George

Quick Reply: New Ford Ranger preview