1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Navigator no power, nothing happening at all year 2004

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 09:10 AM
Ammy2213
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition switch

Ok, so last night it happened to me again. When the truck lost all its power when i was inside the truck in the parking lot.

How it happened:

i parked the truck and decided to sit in.

i turned off the engine and left the ignition in ACC position, the same position it usually go, when you turn off the engine.

It was dark so turned on my lights on the top

Later after 10-15 minutes i turned the ignition to ON position, as i was about to leave, the moment i turned the key to ON position, i lost all its power. Like nothing at all again. No dash lights no head lights no Anti theft blinking all system dead. Then later on, it started working again. Could it be a bad ignition switch?

Old 08-08-2018, 09:34 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by Ammy2213
Could it be a bad ignition switch?
Certainly it could. It could also be a bad battery or battery cable intermittently going in and out.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:14 AM
Ammy2213
New User
I am gonna go to the mechanic again, i will post back with results

hope it works

thanks buddy

Old 08-09-2018, 10:35 PM
Ammy2213
New User
Replaced Positive terminal Connector and negative connector

hello

i left my truck to mechanic, so that he can figure out something. But the truck never went bad when he drove it, unfortunately or fortunately it worked well for him. But i was surprised because he kept it for 48 hours and no problem at all. Still i insisted him to change battery terminals coz they seemed weak to me.

He finally changed them for me. BUT, after 3 hours of continous driving where i only turned the engine off to check, if it is doing good or no, it finally showed up the problem back again.

So here’s whats eliminated so far:

Battery is Good
terminal is good
wiring is good
grounds are good
ignition switch is good
alternator is brand new

so these all seem to be working fine.

Also, i got it working again somehow, i dont know how.
i was working with some fuses and checking connections randomnly. And i got the power back. Seems like the fuse box is dying. Its just working momentarily. I checked all the fuses they are good. I replaced the pcm relay with the working Fog lamp relay just to double check, but both working absolutely fine. So can it be a fuse box? Should i replace the fuse box, what do you say ? Any help is greatly appreciated..!

Thanks for reading

Old 08-16-2018, 11:21 AM
Ammy2213
New User
Found the problem

hello
just updating my fix if someone is curious or following this post

I found out that the fuse box needed replacement. I got a used one $150 from a wrecker. And also. When i was replacing the fuse box, the wire that was giving power to the fuse box was a bit loose.

The truck died on me several times when i tried to move that wire, even after putting the new fuse box. So, i tightened it up. All connections neat and clean. My truck runs great. BUT, it still sometimes dies at Hard speed bumps. I dont know what is causing that now, otherwise the no power issue is gone now. It always starts when i get in. Even when it dies, it starts right after.

Thanks for help,
please ket me know if someone can help.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:56 PM
molliemcguire
New User
I began to have the exact same issues yesterday in my 98 Expedition XLT. A week ago, I was going down the road and quickly the engine cut out, lights out, everything and thankfully, all came back on as quickly as I lost it. I thought perhaps a bit of bad gas caused the hiccup but in the back of my mind worried about electrical.

A week later, here I am sitting at the grocery turning the ignition , no lights, no bells, no noises. This can never come at a good time, but things have been very stressful in life lately and it made me feel like I just couldn't take any more.
Approx. 20 minutes later while I was waiting for help to arrive, I heard a faint "click, click" and quickly I thought to turn the key and she started. I got her home, turned it on and off few times, she started. This morning? No lights, no power, no start, no nothing.
Battery is good, terminals always clean, alternator good, no show of crappy/popped fuses. I figured to start investigating from the battery to relays or fuses, but I'm considering a relay would make a click click sound, not a fuse?

My 98 has 147,000 original miles, is clean under the hood and even the fuses are shiney clean, hasnt been beaten on at all. The only odd thing I can add to all this is, over a year ago, my aftermarket rear suspension airbag compressor went out. Before it went out, it would toot on and off as I was going down the road. Otherwise this rig has been a starter even at -40F without a hesitation. I need advice. PLEASE

Old 10-14-2018, 04:22 PM
Ammy2213
New User
Fuse box or fuse box wire

There are two things, that are culrpit.

Either the red wire that leads to fuse box from the positive of the battery, or the fuse box itself.

Replace both problem solved

thanks

Old 10-14-2018, 06:03 PM
molliemcguire
New User
The fuse box....

Inside underneath the dash to the right of the e brake? I seem to have at least 3 fuse boxes, 2 under hood. Silly question maybe, but I'll never know if I dont ask And thank u for responding, this is my main rig , my 78 is 300 miles away and has some issues. I'm in a pickle.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:33 PM
Ammy2213
New User
Underneath dash

Start from the one underneath the dash, replace the red colored wire for all three fuse boxes. Are your dash lights working whenever you have this issue?

I am pretty sure about some things here.

your battery is good
your alternator is good
your starter is good
the only thing i would worry about is fuse box or fuse box wiring.
wiring i refer to as the red wire that connects to the positive terminal of the battery, on the other side, it gives power to fuse box.

Next time whenever you lose power, check your power connection to fuse box. Try to move that red wire back and forth, towards right or left, try and see if you get your power back. Repeat this with all of your fuse boxes, if it doesn’t help, try tapping gently on your fuse box. It will most likely help. If the moving the red wire, brings you the power, replace the wire. If you get it back when tapping the fuse box, replace the fuse box. If neither works, try checking your PCM relay. The one that powers up the computer system of the truck.

Also, how to know if the red wire is the problem, even when your truck is running fine?

Drive it for more than 30 minutes, even if it stops, in the road, it will turn on again, keep driving, later on touch and feel the red wire where it connects to fuse box, if its hot, you got it, replace the wire and you are good to go.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:11 AM
molliemcguire
New User
I will try this and I cannot thank you enough for helping me try to figure this out. I knew it would be electrical and all I can see is $ signs. Yes, all my dash lights go out when this occurs. No ding ding for key in ignition notification, no interior lights, not a thing lights up or makes noise. Now this last time it went out in the driveway, I sat there awaiting the faint 'click click' sound and it never happened. It also has not started. I was just thankful I got it home and began to dig for answers.

A few more questions off the top of my head:
Is it difficult to remove the fuse box if that is the culprit?
When the fuse box needs to be replaced, how do I know which one? (Will it be the one underneath the dash or all?) Which one did you replace?

I hope you continue to watch this thread, as I may come up with more questions. I wonder why a fuse box costs so much even second hand, good heavens. I'm out of work right now, so I am hoping its the wire. *cross fingers*

I absolutely adore my Expy, I would hate to watch her parked because of a freakish issue that popped up while I'm attending interviews. Always the worst times, it's life, I should know by now! Thank you again!

Old 10-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Ammy2213
New User
Hard to say

Its hard to say which fuse box is the culprit. But 95% its the one that controls the ignition switch, the fuel pump, and the anti theft device. In most lincoln or ford, these devices are powered by the fuse box under the dash, also, fuse box is an easy replacement. It has a bunch of wires, and with plugs, just unplug them, and connect to the new one. Watch for the power wire, i mean the red wire, that has a bolt on it. Make sure you remove it gently, otherwise you might end up breaking the circuit.
Good luck

Old 10-15-2018, 01:41 PM
molliemcguire
New User
I'll let you know how it goes. Probably wont go out and mess with it until it warms a bit...right nippy out there for October!

Old 10-16-2018, 06:21 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
Your experience with an '04 is NOT directly transferable to a 98. It's of a different generation and the wiring is quite different. For example, there is no "red wire" that supplies power to the fuse box under the dash on a 98. The 04 has only the under-dash fusebox, the 98 has one under the hood as well which eventually feeds the one under the dash.

Do not jump into replacing any fuse boxes as the symptoms as presented do not point in that direction. They point to a faulty battery, battery connection or primary battery cable fault (either one).

Old 10-16-2018, 08:26 AM
Ammy2213
New User
Could have been a faulty battery, but the person has already instated that battery is good. Also, i had two of the similar projects, 98 and 00 Navigators, i wokred on them, one of them belongs to my uncle, they were hving the same problem. As this Navigator. 2004 Is a different model, but first Gen nav’s are almost same.

if it comes to battery it could lead to so many things,

like ground connections, as well. But thats not the case. Because most navigators had a windshield leak. Yes, First Gen, had them too. But it was most common in second gen. nav’s. The problem is that, the water, enters the inside, from the winshield seals, which i consider as hard to find, and it directly gets on to Fuse box, symptoms - wet carpet inside, that’s why fuse boxes often go bad. I know it coz, i replaced a lot of things to come to this. People say it’s MAF sensor, but no. Nothing helps.

thanks

Old 10-16-2018, 12:12 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
Could be a lot of things.. There's a reason that troubleshooting is always recommended as it avoids guessing.

...has already instated that battery is good
A component is only "good" when it's PROVEN to be good, not when it's assumed to be so. I learned a long time ago (the hard way, of course) not to make assumptions about electrical circuits that were not backed up by testing.
like ground connections, as well. But thats not the case.
How do you KNOW that for a fact? Have you done any testing to prove or disprove the grounding system as a suspect on THIS PARTICULAR VEHICLE?
Because most navigators had a windshield leak. Yes, First Gen, had them too. But it was most common in second gen. nav’s. The problem is that, the water, enters the inside, from the winshield seals, which i consider as hard to find, and it directly gets on to Fuse box, symptoms - wet carpet inside, that’s why fuse boxes often go bad.
I'm EXTREMELY familiar with the symptoms that result from windshield leaks. None of the symptoms associated with that condition have been presented.
People say it’s MAF sensor, but no.
Anyone who might have said that was not versed in how the system works.
I know it coz, i replaced a lot of things to come to this.
That suggests a lot of guessing and not much troubleshooting.

Look, I know you're trying to be helpful for the new poster, but giving them ideas and experiences that are not applicable to the vehicle they actually have isn't likely to be very helpful.

Quick Reply: Navigator no power, nothing happening at all year 2004