Gooseneck vs 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 10:19 AM
kurthb
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gooseneck vs 5th wheel

Just curious the difference in application of goose-neck vs 5th wheel? Why do RV's use 5th wheel type and horse trailers use goose-neck, why not just one or the other, or why not RV's use goose-neck? Are there advantages to them for their application?

Old 08-02-2018, 10:43 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts
Design-wise terms a 5th wheel hitch will offer better lateral stability on loads that are tall right over the hitch, like an RV with a bedroom over the pin versus a gooseneck that only has the trailer's hitch structure in that location. RVs tend to have much higher centers of gravity than equipment or livestock trailers because of design. Way back when, 5th wheel hitches didn't flex nearly as well as they do today, so the significantly better articulation of a gooseneck ball was important in off-road towing applications (farming equipment, stock trailers, construction, etc), but more modern hitches have pretty well nullified that advantage in places where you can fit a large RV. It's easier to bulk up the pin area of a gooseneck trailer because the majority of the weight is on the load deck, on an RV a lighter pin box construction frees up weight for move RV-stuff. There are locking differences between the two hitch types; a fifth wheel will lock on to a king pin more securely than a gooseneck hitch to a ball, but neither is more or less inherently "safe" when used in appropriate applications.

In practical terms, there's not a lot of meaningful differences between using each with a trailer designed for a particular hitch. The problems come with using gooseneck adapters, those increase the distance from the RV frame to hitching point on the ball (versus mounting at the wheel), which can increase leverage on the pin box and cause the frame to crack. It wouldn't be difficult to build a pin box that can mount the load of a large RV trailer to a gooseneck ball, but it would be heavier so that's not what manufacturers are doing. On a gooseneck equipment trailer you can roll the tractor back a foot and lift weight off the pin, so the heavier hitch structure on a gooseneck can be balanced with the load, whereas an RV is much more fixed in terms of design, such as where storage is build and how water tanks are located and sized. Some warranties can be voided by using a converter.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:11 AM
kurthb
Tuned
Excellent explanation, thank you for clarifying it for me.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:49 AM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Design-wise terms a 5th wheel hitch will offer better lateral stability on loads that are tall right over the hitch, like an RV with a bedroom over the pin versus a gooseneck that only has the trailer's hitch structure in that location. RVs tend to have much higher centers of gravity than equipment or livestock trailers because of design. Way back when, 5th wheel hitches didn't flex nearly as well as they do today, so the significantly better articulation of a gooseneck ball was important in off-road towing applications (farming equipment, stock trailers, construction, etc), but more modern hitches have pretty well nullified that advantage in places where you can fit a large RV. It's easier to bulk up the pin area of a gooseneck trailer because the majority of the weight is on the load deck, on an RV a lighter pin box construction frees up weight for move RV-stuff. There are locking differences between the two hitch types; a fifth wheel will lock on to a king pin more securely than a gooseneck hitch to a ball, but neither is more or less inherently "safe" when used in appropriate applications.

In practical terms, there's not a lot of meaningful differences between using each with a trailer designed for a particular hitch. The problems come with using gooseneck adapters, those increase the distance from the RV frame to hitching point on the ball (versus mounting at the wheel), which can increase leverage on the pin box and cause the frame to crack. It wouldn't be difficult to build a pin box that can mount the load of a large RV trailer to a gooseneck ball, but it would be heavier so that's not what manufacturers are doing. On a gooseneck equipment trailer you can roll the tractor back a foot and lift weight off the pin, so the heavier hitch structure on a gooseneck can be balanced with the load, whereas an RV is much more fixed in terms of design, such as where storage is build and how water tanks are located and sized. Some warranties can be voided by using a converter.
texastech diesel did an excellent job with the explanation. I'll probably draw some fire here, but want to emphasize that it is a VERY BAD IDEA to use a true gooseneck adapter with a fifth wheel RV - especially any RV over 7 - 8K lbs. GVWR. The front of the chassis is just not designed to handle the torsional forces generated by a gooseneck adapter - and in most cases, it will void your trailer frame warranty. Sure, you'll find people who will say "I've done it for years without any problems." You'll also find a lot of cases of failures and not many engineers that will support doing it.

I'll add to this that the Andersen Ultimate hitch and the PullRite equivalent (UltraLite, I think) ARE NOT gooseneck hitches. Some of them attach to the truck bed with an already existing gooseneck ball and they do substitute a ball and socket for the pin and plate, but the forces on the trailer frame are the same as those of a conventional fifth wheel hitch and pin box.

Rob

Old 08-02-2018, 01:53 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It wouldn't be difficult to build a pin box that can mount the load of a large RV trailer to a gooseneck ball, but it would be heavier so that's not what manufacturers are doing.
texastech gave you some good information.

Reese has the Goosebox that is a great alternative to an adapter. I've been running one for several years now and love it. It also has an airbag and shocks built in to the pin box. It is a full pin box replacement. I swapped from a B&W OEM companion to this and wouldn't go back.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:32 PM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I forgot to mention... Andersen, PullRite and B&W all make fifth wheel hitches that attach to the truck using an existing gooseneck ball - no need for rails or pucks.

Rob

Old 08-02-2018, 02:56 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,129 Likes on 1,025 Posts
....provided you are talking a recent model truck. ie: my 2005 requires a set of rails.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:33 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
....provided you are talking a recent model truck. ie: my 2005 requires a set of rails.
FYI - this is a universal version of the Reese Elite series frame rails. This is the same system as the OEM system on the newer trucks, just a different way it attaches to the truck frame. It is not as easy of an install as the OEM kit for the newer trucks but it will work and allow the same functionality.
https://www.reesehitches.com/vehicle...s&group_id=116

There are hitches like the Trailer Saver by Hensley Manufacturing (TS3 and TSLB series, not the BD's) that have an adapter for a gooseneck ball. This would allow the same hitch performance (air ride) with both types of trailers. It would not change the trailer, it is adapting the truck for the trailer you are pulling.

I have heard of people running the gooseneck pin adapters on their RV's. I agree that is not the right method. The replacement of the pin box to one designed for use with a ball would be better, but still may not be appropriate for the type of load.

There was mention about the articulation of a gooseneck ball as opposed to that of a 5th wheel hitch. Watch your 5th wheel hitch selection. There are a lot of lesser-expensive hitches that only have fore/aft articulation - not roll. The ones that do have roll, also, have different ranges - some allow higher roll angles than others. I would not want a 5th wheel head that did not articulate side-to-side/roll, period.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:20 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 259 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I would not want a 5th wheel head that did not articulate side-to-side/roll, period.
Agreed. Definitely do not want a rigid 5th wheel head...unless you like having the camper constantly rocking the truck side to side.

Only a couple of things I can think of that haven't been mentioned is the 5th wheel hitch is usually easier to see and connect to trailer while backing a pickup especially if you have an extended/super cab and a cargo box in the bed. Also, the 5th wheel hitch may be a little more secure and does not require chains. These are small benefits and not enough to make me choose a 5th wheel hitch versus a goose. I can see the benefit of a goose in keeping the bed relatively open when the trailer is not connected.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:28 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Of note - the visual advantage doesn't exist WHEN using the Anderson hitch; nor does the Anderson have the "hitch-up angle" limitation.
Initially I was opposed - but now I'm coming around.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:19 AM
Drisean
Mountain Pass
Great explanations!

The worst way to connect I've seen was to attach a gooseneck trailer to the bumper hitch. That really looked adventurous!

Old 08-03-2018, 09:52 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Originally Posted by Drisean
The worst way to connect I've seen was to attach a gooseneck trailer to the bumper hitch. That really looked adventurous!
Nah man, that's normal. Lift the truck and run big tires, and a gooseneck fits real nice on a B&W Tow & Stow. Not like you could use a a real gooseneck ball because the the trailer can't turn over the 9' tall bed rails on the BroDozer, and what other trailer can you pull 30,000# with?

/s

Old 08-03-2018, 01:12 PM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,600 Likes on 842 Posts
Nah man, that's normal. Lift the truck and run big tires, and a gooseneck fits real nice on a B&W Tow & Stow. Not like you could use a a real gooseneck ball because the the trailer can turn over the 9' tall bed rails on the BroDozer, and what other trailer can you pull 30,000# with?

/s
LOL.... And it looks real cool running nose high with the front wheels in the air and the tail dragging.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:01 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Pre-runner stance, man, all part of the design.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:26 PM
Drisean
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by BowtieConvert
LOL.... And it looks real cool running nose high with the front wheels in the air and the tail dragging.
I thought I could hear the hitch scratching the pavement.

He's got a proper setup now.

Quick Reply: Gooseneck vs 5th wheel