Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

1979 f250 crew cab project

 
  #46  
Old 01-17-2019, 06:11 PM
maddogjohnson
maddogjohnson is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Santa Clarita
Posts: 430
maddogjohnson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It's nice to see the updates. Maybe it's just me and my penchant for following crew cab builds, but the forum seems to have been less active of late with build thread activity. I know I haven't had too much to say on my thread recently other than my first FiTech installation attempt.

Keep making progress and posting it up. I find it encouraging, so thank you!

 
  #47  
Old 01-17-2019, 09:42 PM
nzirbel
nzirbel is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: IOWA
Posts: 456
nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Meridian_Mike View Post
Can you tell me what you are doing to your frame before applying the POR?
Are you wire brushing or anything?
(hand or tool cleaning)

Thanks
Mike
Technically, you should knock the scale off, degrease it, metal prep it, then paint it. Since I'm not doing a frame off, I'm just descaling it with a wire wheel, sandblasting, or brush, depending on the area. Then just por15 it. Not as good I know, but working underneath sucks and what I'm doing is definitely better than nothing.
 
  #48  
Old 01-17-2019, 09:44 PM
nzirbel
nzirbel is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: IOWA
Posts: 456
nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.
I did manage to get to a salvage yard today and picked up some super duty front springs and a sliding rear window and gasket out of mid 80s truck. Just throwing money at it I guess!
 
  #49  
Old 01-17-2019, 09:47 PM
nzirbel
nzirbel is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: IOWA
Posts: 456
nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by maddogjohnson View Post
It's nice to see the updates. Maybe it's just me and my penchant for following crew cab builds, but the forum seems to have been less active of late with build thread activity. I know I haven't had too much to say on my thread recently other than my first FiTech installation attempt.

Keep making progress and posting it up. I find it encouraging, so thank you!
Knowing that people follow the progress actually helps keep me motivated also, so it's a win win. I'm to stubborn to quit, so I'm digging my heels in and going to finish it no matter what.
 
  #50  
Old 01-18-2019, 06:59 AM
Meridian_Mike's Avatar
Meridian_Mike
Meridian_Mike is online now
Built Ford TOUGH
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 650
Meridian_Mike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by nzirbel View Post
Technically, you should knock the scale off, degrease it, metal prep it, then paint it. Since I'm not doing a frame off, I'm just descaling it with a wire wheel, sandblasting, or brush, depending on the area. Then just por15 it. Not as good I know, but working underneath sucks and what I'm doing is definitely better than nothing.
Well.... the reason I ask was I am about to do the same to my truck. There is a heavy scale of rust on the frame and underneath so, Yep, I think I might get a cup brush and put it on my angle grinder to knock the scale off.
I have always done a "body off" restoration in the past, so this is my first vehicle to do while I drive it.

Thanks for your reply.... I ask because I like the way your frame looks so I want to get that look for mine.

Mike
 
  #51  
Old 01-18-2019, 07:35 AM
somethingclever's Avatar
somethingclever
somethingclever is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SW PA
Posts: 1,970
somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.somethingclever has a great reputation on FTE.
Air needler also an option.
 
  #52  
Old 01-18-2019, 07:42 AM
Meridian_Mike's Avatar
Meridian_Mike
Meridian_Mike is online now
Built Ford TOUGH
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 650
Meridian_Mike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
Air needler also an option.
Good point..... That should get into some closer areas real well.
Thanks!
Mike
 
  #53  
Old 01-18-2019, 08:18 AM
Aaron-71's Avatar
Aaron-71
Aaron-71 is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 4,164
Aaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Meridian_Mike View Post
Well.... the reason I ask was I am about to do the same to my truck. There is a heavy scale of rust on the frame and underneath so, Yep, I think I might get a cup brush and put it on my angle grinder to knock the scale off.
I have always done a "body off" restoration in the past, so this is my first vehicle to do while I drive it.

Thanks for your reply.... I ask because I like the way your frame looks so I want to get that look for mine.

Mike
Don't be afraid to do very small portions at a time when it comes to the cup brush.

If you do end up cleaning a large part of the frame all at once, be prepared for the aftermath.... a giant cloud of rusty dust in your work space.

I'm still finding areas that have a layer of brown dust on them in the garage... 2 years later... lol
 
  #54  
Old 01-18-2019, 08:30 AM
Meridian_Mike's Avatar
Meridian_Mike
Meridian_Mike is online now
Built Ford TOUGH
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 650
Meridian_Mike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Aaron-71 View Post
Don't be afraid to do very small portions at a time when it comes to the cup brush.

If you do end up cleaning a large part of the frame all at once, be prepared for the aftermath.... a giant cloud of rusty dust in your work space.

I'm still finding areas that have a layer of brown dust on them in the garage... 2 years later... lol
LOL.... Yep, I recon that is right..... Thanks for that heads-up!
I probably will be doing small portions at the time (when I get a few minutes to get out there). There is a LOT of frame and under-body to do.

Mike
 
  #55  
Old 01-18-2019, 11:25 AM
nzirbel
nzirbel is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: IOWA
Posts: 456
nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.
I've got one of the cheap gravity feed sandblasters that's working good for getting a lot of it. It makes a mess, but it's a lot nicer getting into cramped areas. I wouldn't want to do a large area with it, but it's fine on the frame, small brackets and parts.
 
  #56  
Old 01-18-2019, 10:27 PM
Jchet729's Avatar
Jchet729
Jchet729 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 546
Jchet729 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by nzirbel View Post
With as much junk that I could see in the radiator, I
The block looks ok, but I'm going to flush the heck out of it anyways,
The clip is still on, so I'm not touching the freeze plugs, but I'll definitely keep an eye on them.
When I got my Scab, it was running really warm. I flushed it with the hose a couple times, still ran to warm. It was springtime, so I put (I think) 2 gal of white distilled vinegar (to break down rust & gunk) in & filled with water. I started it & let it warm up once a week for a few months as I could allow it to set.
That first flush after that was disgusting, but after a couple good flushes and a new thermostat it's right on the o in normal. Heater works great aside from the cable being broken but that's a fix for later.

Some people might not agree with the vinegar method but it worked for me & I dont have any leaks so my freeze plugs must've been ok....
 
  #57  
Old 01-19-2019, 03:33 PM
nzirbel
nzirbel is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: IOWA
Posts: 456
nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Jchet729 View Post
When I got my Scab, it was running really warm. I flushed it with the hose a couple times, still ran to warm. It was springtime, so I put (I think) 2 gal of white distilled vinegar (to break down rust & gunk) in & filled with water. I started it & let it warm up once a week for a few months as I could allow it to set.
That first flush after that was disgusting, but after a couple good flushes and a new thermostat it's right on the o in normal. Heater works great aside from the cable being broken but that's a fix for later.

Some people might not agree with the vinegar method but it worked for me & I dont have any leaks so my freeze plugs must've been ok....
​​​​​​The trouble I have is I want to have it all flushed out before I put the new stuff on. I'd hate hate to plug up a new aluminum radiator! I've got to ponder my options for a bit.
 
  #58  
Old 01-20-2019, 12:55 PM
jimmystoys's Avatar
jimmystoys
jimmystoys is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 411
jimmystoys is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jimmystoys is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great build nzirbel. I'm following you. Can I ask what an air needler is?
 
  #59  
Old 01-20-2019, 08:26 PM
nzirbel
nzirbel is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: IOWA
Posts: 456
nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.
It's an air powered tool with steel needles on the end that act like a chisel taking rust off. It's kind of a lousy description, YouTube is probably better, see them in action.
 
  #60  
Old 01-22-2019, 10:34 AM
Aaron-71's Avatar
Aaron-71
Aaron-71 is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 4,164
Aaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to beholdAaron-71 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nzirbel View Post
It's an air powered tool with steel needles on the end that act like a chisel taking rust off. It's kind of a lousy description, YouTube is probably better, see them in action.
It's basically a tattoo gun, but with multiple needles that come down at different rates/times. Think of a tattoo gun that has a dozen needles that move up/down at a similar rate/frequency to how our motors' pistons move up and down. Each needle goes up/down at a different time, but does so quite rapidly.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1979 f250 crew cab project


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.