Sponsored by:

5.4 vs 6.8 vs 7.3 vs 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 12:52 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5.4 vs 6.8 vs 7.3 vs 6.0

I'm starting to look at 4x4 Excursions for my next truck since I can't fit all seven of us in anything I have now. My only hang up is which engine option would be best. I've had 5.4L in F150s, I've driven 7.3s, and I had a 6.0L in an F350. Loved the 6.0L and the 20mpg highway, except they really don't leave you any room to work on it; that sucks because I work on everything myself. The 5.4Ls ran good, especially my '97 F150 with the Lightning blower on it. Decent towing lightly. The consensus on the 5.4L in these seems to be too under-powered without a supercharger on it to move it around. The V10 I've never actually had any experiences with in all my years playing with Fords. I drive about 60 miles a day highway, seven days a week for work, plus running around for the kids, etc. Occasional towing, but mostly loaded with crap/kid stuff and or tools. I would really like to get some semblance of fuel economy, and usually drive for it; rarely in a hurry. The gas vs diesel pros/cons are eating me up. I probably wouldn't go with another 6.0L just because it's pretty complex to work on, even though the 5R110 transmission is awesome.

I'm just looking for experiences from someone who uses theirs like I intend too. I'll probably keep it until the wheels fall off (then restore it), so I'm looking for long term advice.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:11 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Anyone of them will serve your purpose of driving 60 miles a day and hauling kids with the occasional towing.

since fuel milage seems to be your biggest concern maybe think of it terms of overall expense.
a nice $6000 v10 even with its poor mpg will likely still cost less then a better mpg of the 7.3 when you factor in purchase price.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:17 PM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
I've test-driven all 4 of the engines when I was buying mine, and the 6.0 shines above all in terms of pep-in-the-step. I own the 5.4 and while it's adequate, it makes a geo metro feel like a rocket. I don't like my odds of towing a lot with the 5.4. I'm certainly seeing better MPG than any sellers were claiming on their v10.

The V10 seems to be the best meeting point of maintenance cost, reliability, and power.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:41 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Anyone of them will serve your purpose of driving 60 miles a day and hauling kids with the occasional towing.

since fuel milage seems to be your biggest concern maybe think of it terms of overall expense.
a nice $6000 v10 even with its poor mpg will likely still cost less then a better mpg of the 7.3 when you factor in purchase price.
That's absolutely true, and if a comparable Diesel powered one is $15k, I now have a $9k fuel allowance to burn off. And I know it's four tons of Ford fun and I'm not looking for 30mpg (if I was I'd buy a convoy of Ford Foci), but if I could get close to 18-19 highway with some modifications, I'd be really happy. Also the cost of parts, which is another thing that puts the 6.0L below the 7.3L on the chart, but them both below gasoline powerplants. Lot cheaper to rebuild a Modular then an IH.

Originally Posted by 96firephoenix
I've test-driven all 4 of the engines when I was buying mine, and the 6.0 shines above all in terms of pep-in-the-step.
My '04 F350 4x4 with the 6.0L hauled. Bone stock and had power, first time I was ever happy with any engine's output box-stock.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:59 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by fiftyfordfloored
My only hang up is which engine option would be best....I drive about 60 miles a day highway, seven days a week for work, plus running around for the kids, etc. Occasional towing, but mostly loaded with crap/kid stuff and or tools. I would really like to get some semblance of fuel economy, and usually drive for it; rarely in a hurry.
Based on your experience and what you are wanting, I'd say you've narrowed it down to a 7.3L rig.

I say this because you want economy, and drive with that in mind. To me, that eliminates the 5.4L and the 6.8L gas engines. Also, since you've owned a 6.0 and are familiar with diesel engines, I'd guess you won't like the way the V10 moves its own weight. The power curve is very different from the other 3 engines. I thought a V10 would be like the 2V 5.4's in the F150 I've owned, just with two more cylinders, but that wasn't the case. Personally, when I was trying to find a V10 F250 to buy a few years back, I couldn't get used to how the torque curve built with the V10, so I ended up getting another 7.3L PSD rig....then I bought yet another rig with a 7.3...and finally a 6.0L PSD last year.

Since you don't want the complexity of the 6.0, that leaves the 7.3 engine.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 07-24-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:28 PM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I say this because you want economy, and drive with that in mind. To me, that eliminates the 5.4L and the 6.8L gas engines.
I did a quick dirty cost analysis when I was searching for mine, and I forget the exact details of it, but the return on your money for the premium purchase price comes at around 60,000 miles or the minute you start running homemade veg-oil diesel.

That was assuming an average of 13 mpg gas vs 20 mpg diesel, and whatever the prices were that particular day.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:45 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Based on your experience and what you are wanting, I'd say you've narrowed it down to a 7.3L rig.

I say this because you want economy, and drive with that in mind. To me, that eliminates the 5.4L and the 6.8L gas engines. Also, since you've owned a 6.0 and are familiar with diesel engines, I'd guess you won't like the way the V10 moves its own weight. The power curve is very different from the other 3 engines. I thought a V10 would be like the 2V 5.4's in the F150 I've owned, just with two more cylinders, but that wasn't the case. Personally, when I was trying to find a V10 F250 to buy a few years back, I couldn't get used to how the torque curve built with the V10, so I ended up getting another 7.3L PSD rig....then I bought yet another rig with a 7.3...and finally a 6.0L PSD last year.

Since you don't want the complexity of the 6.0, that leaves the 7.3 engine.

Stewart
I know exactly what you mean, the low end grunt of 5.4L 2V is awesome, my '97 F150 had ***** off the line.

I do really love the torque curve and low RPM operating range of the Diesel. Both my past 6.9 and 7.3L IDIs ran great and the non-turbo 7.3L/E4OD F250 would pull 20mpg all day cruising. No it didn't have much horsepower, but it would pull anything, and once you got it up to speed it would hold it just fine. I really don't like to run anything at high RPM for any length of time. Something my Dad told me when I started working on cars years ago and that was... an engine has so many revolutions in it's service life; the slower you spin it, the longer it lasts. I remember towing my buddies Explorer up a grade on a trailer in 2nd gear at around 3500 rpms with my F150... pulled it, but I was waiting for the bang followed by a metallic clanking noise.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:28 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Could always do a cummins conversion, just saying LOL

Old 07-24-2018, 06:38 PM
dethpulse
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyfl
Could always do a cummins conversion, just saying LOL
MAN I wish I bought the one you sold Oldguy!!

Old 07-24-2018, 07:03 PM
Cocky EX
Cross-Country
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by fiftyfordfloored
That's absolutely true, and if a comparable Diesel powered one is $15k, I now have a $9k fuel allowance to burn off. And I know it's four tons of Ford fun and I'm not looking for 30mpg (if I was I'd buy a convoy of Ford Foci), but if I could get close to 18-19 highway with some modifications, I'd be really happy. Also the cost of parts, which is another thing that puts the 6.0L below the 7.3L on the chart, but them both below gasoline powerplants. Lot cheaper to rebuild a Modular then an IH.

My '04 F350 4x4 with the 6.0L hauled. Bone stock and had power, first time I was ever happy with any engine's output box-stock.
I love my 6.8 but cant see any scenario where I get 18-19 mpg. Anyone else see that?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:48 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
A conversion would be nice, but I have never been a huge Cummins fan. Not because they came in Dodge trucks or anything. Good engines, but I've always liked the way the cornbinders run. Maybe a DTA360. Same size and close in weight, but stronger bottom end. If I were to do a swap with a Cummins, 6.7L all the way. Those things are animals. That's something way on down the line though.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:53 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by Cocky EX
I love my 6.8 but cant see any scenario where I get 18-19 mpg. Anyone else see that?

Nope, not with my 6.8. When mine was still 100% stock with 3.73 gears it used to get 14-ish MPG with my combined 50/50 city/highway daily use with about a 35 mile work commute. It did deliver a 15.5 MPG tank while on vacation on a hot day in Maine with 6 adults onboard, mostly highway but with several small coastal towns thrown in. If you drive with a conscious effort to get better MPGs I think that 14/15 should be very achievable with a 6.8 in good shape. 5Star does offer an Economy tune but I never really saw much, if any increased mileage with it loaded, but their tunes do make the 4R100 behave waaay better than stock!

Old 07-25-2018, 06:58 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With stock tires and 3.73`s with a good economy tune you can get 15.5 out of a V-10 X. I`ll bet even a bit better if it was 2WD.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:58 AM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
downhill with a tailwind?

Old 07-25-2018, 10:13 AM
Jaynen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My rust free v10 ex 4x4 was 5k with 180k on it just flushed the trans and added the dorman cooler. It has a few niggly issues like central locking and powered vent windows don't work but its solid an AC blows cold. Not sure about where you are but around here 12-13k is the going rate sometimes all the way up to 15+ for a 7.3. 87 octane or whatever the cheap stuff is 2.50 here while diesel is 3.09 so thats a 20% difference in fuel cost.

According to https://www.edmunds.com/calculators/gas-guzzler.html it would take 50 months of diesel ownership at 2k miles per month to make up the difference of 13 vs 20 mpg. (24k miles a year is more than most people do) don't get me wrong I love diesel my daily is a diesel and I have owned them for years but the cost argument rarely wins out.

Quick Reply: 5.4 vs 6.8 vs 7.3 vs 6.0