Water Heater Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 10:29 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,718 Likes on 2,755 Posts
Water Heater Maintenance?

While buying something for my truck on Amazon this popped up: http://a.co/1NVYZmS

I drain my water heater as part of my winterization process. Should I be cleaning the tank more thoroughly? The wand shown above appears to be a good way to do that. Reviews of the wand also said to do a 50/50 mix of vinegar/water to complete the process.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:36 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I see that as a very handy tool to have. I've noticed on mine that there is a bunch of sediment at the bottom of the heater that I can't flush out. This year I hooked up the hose and let the water flush out of the drain on the heater and poked around carefully at the bottom to stir up the sediment so that it could get flushed out.

handy indeed ... I think I'll order one!

awesome find!

Old 07-25-2018, 11:46 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,502 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Whether it's needed who knows folks been flushing tanks letting water flow out with no issues for along time, does it hurt to clean above and beyond certainly not. If it makes you feel better why not.

Making sure the rod is good and having clean threads when reinstalling is possible just as important.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:52 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Not necessary.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:36 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Not necessary.
And doesn't really work.
We have a lot of sediment in our water. So much that the lower element of my household water heater was buried!
So, I thought one of these would be good for the campers. The problem is, when you turn on the water, the pressure causes the tube to bend backwards so that the end of it ends up spraying straight ahead anyway. The only possible advantage it could have is to allow you to place the spray at the back of the tank, vs. merely spraying water into the opening.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:46 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
If this is something you really want it is easy enough to fab with copper tubing and a few brass fitting, but again in my opinion it serves not useful purpose. For a longer rinse, just drain the water heater and turn the water hose back on with the plug out.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:12 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
If this is something you really want it is easy enough to fab with copper tubing and a few brass fitting, but again in my opinion it serves not useful purpose. For a longer rinse, just drain the water heater and turn the water hose back on with the plug out.
Exactly.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:23 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
How do I get the sediment out of the tank that resides below the drain plug?

hooking up the hose and letting it run doesn't get it. And letting the tank fill under some pressure and letting it rush out under garden hose pressure/flow didn't get it either.

is that an acceptable level of sediment in the tank?

Old 07-25-2018, 07:42 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Put a nozzle on and stick it in the drain if it bothers you, but it will cause no problem.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:23 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by meborder
How do I get the sediment out of the tank that resides below the drain plug?

hooking up the hose and letting it run doesn't get it. And letting the tank fill under some pressure and letting it rush out under garden hose pressure/flow didn't get it either.

is that an acceptable level of sediment in the tank?
The sediment wont hurt you or the system it settles at the bottom and if it does get in the water line your faucets should catch it in the screens and possibly notice a lower flow coming out . Do you clean your faucet screens? If you use hard water they'll be possible mineral build up.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:32 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by scraprat
Do you clean your faucet screens? If you use hard water they'll be possible mineral build up.
Wonderful. Another maintenance item to add to my list.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:52 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Wonderful. Another maintenance item to add to my list.
That's what I was afraid of, folks thinking this is something that has to be done routinely. It most often takes literally years for screen to load up enough to slow water flow at the faucet and the one place I have seen it actually lead to service calls is folks who live off their pump and forget there is a sediment screen there. And it is still no big deal because you just clean off the screen when it becomes an issue. For folks who feel this is an issue they want to add to their worry list, it might be useful to add an inline filter to their hose and filter all the water that goes into their camper.

For folks who never thought about this and have never had a problem, my suggestion would be to go back to what you were doing before.

Steve

Old 07-26-2018, 10:08 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
If all you have to worry about is sediment life is good.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:13 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
My trailer has a house filter system. It had no filter in it when I got it. I don't think the prior owner even knew there was a house filter system. When I fill up at home I don't use an external filter. When I fill up at a remote location I do use the external filter. So the water in my system gets filtered as many as two times. But I'm sure there are sediment deposits in the system from the house filter system not having the filter in it. I'm hoping that explains why the sink faucet has less flow than the bathroom faucet. Is there usually a screen inline before the water pump? Getting to that could be really interesting.

Cleaning the screens on faucets isn't that tough as long as the threads haven't become corroded. In the house I do it once every 10 years in the bathrooms. In the kitchen I never do it because faucets don't seem to last that long in our house.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:10 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by HRTKD
My trailer has a house filter system. It had no filter in it when I got it. I don't think the prior owner even knew there was a house filter system. When I fill up at home I don't use an external filter. When I fill up at a remote location I do use the external filter. So the water in my system gets filtered as many as two times. But I'm sure there are sediment deposits in the system from the house filter system not having the filter in it. I'm hoping that explains why the sink faucet has less flow than the bathroom faucet. Is there usually a screen inline before the water pump? Getting to that could be really interesting.

Cleaning the screens on faucets isn't that tough as long as the threads haven't become corroded. In the house I do it once every 10 years in the bathrooms. In the kitchen I never do it because faucets don't seem to last that long in our house.
Yes, there is virtually always an inline screen right on the pump. You will know it is getting filled up the same way you do with a faucet when water flow slows.

Quick Reply: Water Heater Maintenance?