2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Dirt Curtains installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 07:22 PM
FastTaurusSHO
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got lucky and found some rock tamers that were on craigslist. I thought 150 was reasonable. When I showed up to buy, the guy was including the Equal-i-zer hitch the rock tamers was mounted on. Major score. I brought it all home, sold the Equal-i-zer a few days later for 250. I did go ahead and buy the 2.5" rock tamer hitch piece, So I'm about at free for the rock tamers. Hope they perform well.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:01 AM
joshjohnson93
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rb40racing

That's looks like an awesome idea!

Old 07-25-2018, 12:45 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by FastTaurusSHO
I got lucky and found some rock tamers that were on craigslist. I thought 150 was reasonable. When I showed up to buy, the guy was including the Equal-i-zer hitch the rock tamers was mounted on. Major score. I brought it all home, sold the Equal-i-zer a few days later for 250. I did go ahead and buy the 2.5" rock tamer hitch piece, So I'm about at free for the rock tamers. Hope they perform well.
congratulations!
I'm installing the Rock Tamers now. Can see right off there's going to be a problem with the back up sensors.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:48 PM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
Quick update... The dirt curtains have been on for about a month now as I recently took a trip with the camper in-tow. They do work as intended keeping rocks/debris off my toy hauler. During the install, I thought I carefully planned where to put them. Not too far back, and not too far forward- happy medium. Well, it seems I made a an error in judgment- the passenger side was baked by the heat of the exhaust and is now cracking. I will be replacing that mud flap and moving the whole set up back & away from the exhaust tips. I think I'll add some stainless steel trim shimmed out from the new mud flap to further keep it from baking again.

Rev #2 pics coming when I have time to re-fab...

Old 07-31-2018, 04:53 PM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
Originally Posted by wrvond
congratulations!
I'm installing the Rock Tamers now. Can see right off there's going to be a problem with the back up sensors.
^^^ That's one of the reasons I elected to fab my own. I also plan on adding auxiliary back-up lights, but don't want to cut into the bumper (recessed) like I did on my previous SD. These dirt curtains should fend off things that may destroy them.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:55 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by AK-AlumADuty
Quick update... The dirt curtains have been on for about a month now as I recently took a trip with the camper in-tow. They do work as intended keeping rocks/debris off my toy hauler. During the install, I thought I carefully planned where to put them. Not too far back, and not too far forward- happy medium. Well, it seems I made a an error in judgment- the passenger side was baked by the heat of the exhaust and is now cracking. I will be replacing that mud flap and moving the whole set up back & away from the exhaust tips. I think I'll add some stainless steel trim shimmed out from the new mud flap to further keep it from baking again.

Rev #2 pics coming when I have time to re-fab...
Yeah, those exhaust gasses can get pretty darn hot! Looking forward to viewing the results of DC 2.0.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:49 PM
Brother_Bluto
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rb40racing

Are those custom made? I am about to pull the trigger on Rockstar's, but that looks like an awesome way to go.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:08 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey AK, do you have any side pics on the exhaust side?

Old 08-01-2018, 07:32 PM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
Not with me, but I'll try to get one sherpa

Old 08-02-2018, 09:19 AM
rb40racing
Junior User
Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto
Are those custom made? I am about to pull the trigger on Rockstar's, but that looks like an awesome way to go.
yes i made these.. i used 2.5 outside dia tube and a piece of 1/4 in flat on the bottom side to take up the rest of the room/to fit tight cause the receiver hitch was 3in dia i think! flaps from NAPA

Old 08-02-2018, 01:28 PM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User

Originally Posted by xxxsherpa
Hey AK, do you have any side pics on the exhaust side?
I don’t, but my buddy who welded the brackets for mine does. Our set-up is identical, but when you look at the pic you can see how the heat has caused cracking on the flap. Mine are also warped a tad more than my buddies in the pic. Again, planning on replacing the mud flap & moving both sides back about 6” with some stainless shimmed off the flap on the exhaust side. That should work long term. I have about a week before I can get sto them; I’ll post pics of D.C version 2.0 when complete.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:06 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep, that's pretty close. I look forward to version 2.0 as I am also looking for something similar. I have the 6.2 so my exhaust tip is a little different.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:14 PM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 548 Likes on 307 Posts
I wonder how much they'll reduce your fuel mileage . . . .

Old 08-02-2018, 07:53 PM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
Originally Posted by acadianbob
I wonder how much they'll reduce your fuel mileage . . . .
MPG? Say what... lol

They’re more like the big ears on a Beagle flapping in the wind. It’s a 350 tow truck w/35s & 3.55s. What’s another point off the MPGs at this point

Old 08-25-2018, 01:51 PM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
UPDATE

So, I haven’t had the time to completely re-fab, however, I did add a heat shield to the mud flap. It’s kind of an experiment to see if that reduces the temps off the flap...

More to follow...

Last edited by AK-AlumADuty; 08-25-2018 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: Dirt Curtains installed