6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Joined the CAC failure club

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:23 AM
GT4point6
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never mind, I figured it out...

Good info, will be picking up a replacement, now to determine which one I want to get.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:34 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,200 Likes on 574 Posts
Kevin, what you just posted is not the kit for the 17+. The pic I posted is. The M is for motorsports. (There is an M on the 11-16 kits too. It's under the H&S on the aluminum end.) H&S shut down after they ceased tuner production years ago and the remaining employees started H&S Motorsports selling hard parts instead of tuning. They 17+ kit can be found here on their website...

https://hs-motorsports.com/collectio...=7149513015353

Old 07-22-2018, 12:32 PM
wbigcount
5th Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine blew up a few weeks ago on my 2011.

I was stranded at the lake so i drove my wife's car to the closest dealer ( Olathe ford) they charged me 300$ for the part, sells for 150 most places on line.

I know one dealer I will never buy from again.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:21 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,434 Likes on 4,685 Posts
Replaced mine at 23400 miles. I didn't wait for it to blow. I went with a Rudy's kit. No P/S reservoir relocation required like what's been said.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:09 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Slightly off topic but I need to install my Mitsi CAC but am wondering if there is a video on how to do it?
thanks.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:52 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
No video on here that I am aware. Check Youtube. I did do a write-up for the Rudy I installed. Yous should be similar.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:10 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by smlford
Slightly off topic but I need to install my Mitsi CAC but am wondering if there is a video on how to do it?
thanks.
I know a video would be nice but really is not necessary. Only thing you need to know about the Mishimoto Kit is what order and orientation the parts go together in.

I copy and pasted the following into a notepad document and printed it out to use during installation. Thanks to whoever originally posted it here.

Start by putting the aluminum pipe on the throttle body, then move to the bottom and work up.
Finally, slide the last rubber piece away from the throttle body, slip the 4" clamp on the aluminum pipe, then position the rubber piece onto the throttle body adapter.
The first time, I took my 4" clamp apart and lost the spring. Doing it like above, you won't have to take any clamps apart and risk losing parts.

R&R done, was amazingly easier to install the 2nd time around. Re-cleaned all connections with rubbing alcohol to remove any oily residue that could cause the hoses to blow off. I feel better with confirmation from Mishi on the proper install.

BTW, the photo diagram Mishi sent, it a little misleading. The bung for the sensor is probably an inch or more away from the Throttle body boot connection, pretty much the same location as the stock application, just on top instead of the bottom. In their photo, the pipe is just pushed all the way in.

Another important fact I found necessary for the Mishimoto Kit was the torque specs for the Mishimoto clamps. Image below to save you the time searching for it.

Edit: Another bit of advice, the Mishimoto sensor bung has a tighter tolerance than the factory fitting. I tore my factory o-ring trying to force it into the Mishi bung and had to replace it with a new smaller diameter o-ring. I was lucky to have a metric o-ring assortment kit on hand so I didn't have to make a run to the parts store.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:34 PM
L3dford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meant to post this last week..

Installed! I think I'll keep the spare I had with me in the truck. You never know if you'll come across someone that's also had this unfortunate issue and is stranded.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:05 AM
MKrenn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 364 Likes on 249 Posts
Me too

im a new powerstroke owner. I heard about this issue on my 2015 so, I asked the dealership to check it and they replaced it. I still have warranty so no cost to me. I'm still going to carry a spare.....

Old 08-14-2018, 10:55 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I proactively replaced mine with a Mishi at 60,937 miles. No PS relocation, the Mishi's and Rudy's look almost identical, both have the MAF hole in relatively the same place and neither require a PS relocation. Counting on this not requiring a spare - although I could throw the original in the truck someplace as it hadn't let go yet.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:40 PM
Doonz
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh wow wish I woulda seen this thread awhile ago lol.

So this past May Long i was heading out to our campsite in the bush with my 5th wheel. Going up a hill there was a huge BANG (I probably shoulda changed my shorts) but the only thing I lost was my turbo pressure... But My truck was gutless, I was in the middle of no where so I figured I would just make it to where we were camping set up and have a few and deal with it the next day.

Well once I was all set up and heavy in to the cold drinks I figured I should maybe take a look under the hood to see what I was dealing with. Yeah that Plastic fitting had shattered. Well I was in luck cause when my friends would show up I only had an hour drive to the nearest dealership to get what I was thinking would be just a new fitting....

I was horribly wrong. $410 for the assembly only..... Needless to say when I got back to camp I fixed it then proceed to finish alot of cold ones.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:51 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Doonz

I was horribly wrong. $410 for the assembly only..... Needless to say when I got back to camp I fixed it then proceed to finish alot of cold ones.

This kind of stuff really pisses me off. Full MSRP on the part is around $150. You can get them from online dealers for $100. To gouge an out of town buyer in need for an additional $250+ over full price is criminal.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:12 PM
Doonz
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
This kind of stuff really pisses me off. Full MSRP on the part is around $150. You can get them from online dealers for $100. To gouge an out of town buyer in need for an additional $250+ over full price is criminal.
Yeah but I should preface that by saying im a canuck so there's the canuck tax as well

Old 08-14-2018, 03:44 PM
System
Prolocutor
Ah, Canadian Pesos. Not quite as bad then...LOL

Old 08-15-2018, 10:32 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go Mishi or Rudy's and never worry again

Quick Reply: Joined the CAC failure club