1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New big cables make a big difference! With VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 11:38 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,485 Posts
New big cables make a big difference! With VIDEO

In another thread I hijacked over a week ago, I relayed how my 54 started hard, especially after it was warmed up. This had been happening for several years but has gotten worse the last year. About 3 years ago I took the starter to the local auto electric shop to get checked. He was the same guy that rebuilt it back in 1999. He said it was in great shape. I thought when I put new heads on it last year it would start easier, but no.

I knew my cables were good since I had new ones made when I fixed Old Betsy up...... back in...... 1999. Then I did some simple math in my head and figured that the cables are almost 20 years old! I took them off and took them to the local auto electric shop, now owned by the original owners former worker. He made 00 gauge cables for my 55 last summer. I told him to make me 00 cables. He cut the old cables open. They were corroded inside and had signs of some heat damage, maybe from jumping it with a 12 volt vehicle.

I go to pick them up and they are skinny. They were 2 gauge. I told him I wanted 00 gauge but he promised me they would be OK. I paid $30 and left disgruntled. I though about it overnight and with some advice from this forum I took them back the next day and said I wanted 00 cables. He said he'd have to order cable and he'd have them next week.

Today I pick them up. They were 0 gauge. Still not what I wanted but I figured close enough. He didn't charge me anymore for them. I put them on tonight. I pumped the gas a couple of times since it was sitting for so long and Varoom! I let it run a little and turned it off and then hit the starter button and it popped right off. So no more letting it run while I make a short stop or parking it on a hill in case it wouldn't start.

I took a video but I can't seem to post it here. How do I do it?

Old 07-07-2018, 12:23 AM
Bluediesel250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm on the farm and work on lots of equipment and vehicles. I like to buy 00 gauge cable in bulk from a welding supply place because it is the fine wires instead of the course ones as they carry the juice better than course wire. Then i get copper cable lugs and crimp them on and then put heat shrink on that to make my own battery cables to whatever length I need them. Heavy cables make a world of difference in how things start up!

Old 07-07-2018, 05:52 AM
1954wrecker
Senior User
Abe - thanks for the follow up, I was wondering how you made out with your cables.

when you had hot Stratton’s issues - was the truck cranking very slow or at normal speed?

I have a local truck shop making me some 0/2 AWG cables as we speak. Hopefully they will be done on Monday.

-Chris

Old 07-07-2018, 06:24 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 733 Likes on 262 Posts
Abe, +2 on 00 cables... they will make a difference

also for video you probably have to put the video up on youtube then post the link. you'll have to make a channel then upload your video then post the link like this

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El0e6HfCS7c" leave off the quotes

john

Old 07-07-2018, 08:55 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Here is a video of my truck starting easily with just a touch of the stater button.

Here is a video of the truck starting after I drove it for a while. It still starts easily when hot.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:32 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Here is a video of my truck starting easily with just a touch of the stater button.

Here is a video of the truck starting after I drove it for a while. It still starts easily when hot.
Abe, No video just an image. You have to setup a YouTube account (easy and free). Login to it, upload the video then once it uploads and publishes it will give you a link that you can copy and paste into FTE.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:08 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by petemcl
Abe, No video just an image. You have to setup a YouTube account (easy and free). Login to it, upload the video then once it uploads and publishes it will give you a link that you can copy and past into FTE.
Thanks. Even YouTube says my video is in the wrong format. What format must they be in?

Old 07-07-2018, 06:36 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Thanks. Even YouTube says my video is in the wrong format. What format must they be in?
From YouTube:
"
  • File format: YouTube prefers the original, 1080p HD broadcast format that you have in your digital content library, as well as DVD-compliant MPEG-2 program streams saved with a .MPG extension. If you cannot submit videos in MPEG-2 format, then MPEG-4 is the preferred format. The following specifications provide optimal playback of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 videos:
    • MPEG-2

• Audio codec: MPEG Layer II or Dolby AC-3
      • Audio bitrate: 128 kbps or better

• MPEG-4

• Video codec: H.264
      • Audio codec: AAC
      • Audio bitrate: 128 kbps or better

• Minimum audio-visual duration: 33 seconds (excluding black and static images in the video channel as well as silence and background noise in the audio channel)
  • Framerate: Videos should be in their native frame rates without resampling. For film sources, a 24fps or 25fps progressive master yields the best results. Typically, frame rates are set at 24, 25 or 30 frames per second. Please do not use resampling techniques since they can cause images to shudder and often result in lower quality video. Examples of undesirable techniques include upsampling and transfer processes such as Telecine pulldown.
  • Aspect ratio: Videos should be in their native aspect ratios, and uploaded videos should never include letterboxing or pillarboxing bars. The YouTube player automatically frames videos to ensure that they are displayed correctly, without cropping or stretching, regardless of the size of the video or player. For example, the player frames 4:3 videos with vertical bars (pillarboxing) when those videos are played in a widescreen (16) player. Similarly, the player frames 16 videos with horizontal bars (letterboxing) if those videos are played in a standard (4:3) player. See Advanced encoding for visual examples.
    • If the video's native aspect ratio is 1.77:1 and the total frame size also has a 1.77:1 aspect ratio, use 16 matting with square pixels and no border.
    • If the video's native aspect ratio is 1.77:1 and the total frame size does not have a 1.77:1 aspect ratio, use 16 matting with square pixels and a single-color border with no variations over time.
    • If the video's native aspect ratio is 1.33:1 and the total frame size also has a 1.33:1 aspect ratio, use 4:3 matting with square pixels and no border.
    • If the video's native aspect ratio is 1.33:1 and the total frame size does not have a 1.33:1 aspect ratio, use 4:3 matting with square pixels and a single-color border with no variations over time.
    If theatrical releases have a "pan-and-scan" version as well as the original 16 version, upload both versions separately.
  • Video resolution: YouTube prefers high-definition videos and, in general, you should provide videos in the highest resolution available to provide the maximum degree of flexibility in the encoding and playback processes. For videos intended for sale or rental, you should provide a minimum resolution of 1920x1080 with a 16 aspect ratio. For either free or ad-supported content, YouTube does not set a minimum resolution but recommends a resolution of at least 1280x720 for video that has a 16 aspect ratio and a resolution of at least 640x480 for video that has a 4:3 aspect ratio.You may consider providing reduced quality videos if those videos will not be publicly visible on YouTube and are only being uploaded to serve as Content ID references. These videos can be a typical "one quarter" resolution – i.e. 320x240. However, the videos must be greater than 200 lines to yield effective references.
  • Video bitrate: Since bitrate is highly dependent on codec, there is no recommended minimum value. Videos should be optimized for frame rate, aspect ratio and resolution rather than bitrate. Bitrates of 50 or 80Mbps are common for videos intended for sale or rental.
If you are unable to encode your videos using the preferred specifications, you can still submit your video in .WMV, .AVI, .MOV and .FLV formats. In this case, we recommend that you upload the highest quality video possible. YouTube will still accept your video content and then re-encode your video files as necessary. However, the quality of your videos may not be optimal and could make your videos ineligible for HQ encoding. If you are not able to encode your videos using the preferred specifications, we recommend that you upload a few test videos online to ensure that you are satisfied with the playback quality on YouTube.

Audio file guidelines

The following guidelines are for audio tracks that you provide to YouTube. These guidelines describe the formatting specifications that yield the highest quality for playing audio on YouTube and for matching your audio tracks to the audio tracks of user-uploaded videos. Note that an audio track would only be played back on YouTube if you have opted to include that track in YouTube's AudioSwap program. Generally, we recommend that you upload the highest quality audio possible.
  • Supported file formats:
    • MP3 audio in MP3/WAV container
    • PCM audio in WAV container
    • AAC audio in MOV container
    • FLAC audi
  •  
    • o

• Minimum audio bitrate for lossy formats: 64 kbps
  • Minimum audible duration: 33 seconds (excluding silence and background noise)
  • Maximum duration: None

Old 07-07-2018, 10:04 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Thanks, Bob, for the info. My video was in MPEG-4. I didn't do anything to change my videos but YouTube Accepted them this time..... don't know why. Here they are. nothing spectacular. Just showing how easy the truck starts now, even hot. I think I will drive it more now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pG...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pGTSQvat4&feature=youtu.be

Old 07-08-2018, 01:19 AM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Sweet! Sounds like only one or two revolutions and away!

Old 07-08-2018, 06:26 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 784 Likes on 384 Posts
Boy, I wish my truck started off that smooth. I too have the issue of hard starting after it has been running a while. It's not my cables though, since mine are 00 and only a couple years old.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:52 AM
1954wrecker
Senior User
Originally Posted by Harrier
Boy, I wish my truck started off that smooth. I too have the issue of hard starting after it has been running a while. It's not my cables though, since mine are 00 and only a couple years old.
seems like a lot of people have hard starting issues when the engine is warm. Does yours start after a few extra cranks or requires a few minutes of cranking like mine?

Old 07-08-2018, 06:59 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 784 Likes on 384 Posts
Originally Posted by 1954wrecker
seems like a lot of people have hard starting issues when the engine is warm. Does yours start after a few extra cranks or requires a few minutes of cranking like mine?
I will need to video it sometime. It will take about 30 seconds or so to get her fired up. When cold it starts up pretty quickly, but not near as fast as Abe's truck.
I figure it is a carb issue. Well and with the oil I'm burning, possibly bad rings are causing a problem as well.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:16 AM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Nice job Abe! It's funny how much the simple things gets us excited. Something that we take for granted with our "new" vehicles. Also, I'm glad you figured out the YouTube thing. Before long we'll be seeing full length movies of you driving through the Pennsylvania countryside. LOL I subscribed to your "Channel" so be careful what you put on there

Edit - I just noticed you have idiot lights for oil pressure and battery in your 54'. Was this standard equipment?

Old 07-08-2018, 01:03 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by df85732
Nice job Abe! It's funny how much the simple things gets us excited. Something that we take for granted with our "new" vehicles. Also, I'm glad you figured out the YouTube thing. Before long we'll be seeing full length movies of you driving through the Pennsylvania countryside. LOL I subscribed to your "Channel" so be careful what you put on there

Edit - I just noticed you have idiot lights for oil pressure and battery in your 54'. Was this standard equipment?
Starting in 54 idiot lights were standard in F100s. F250s and up had real gauges like yours. Sometimes when I turn the key in my F350 at night and I don't see 2 little red lights on the instrument panel, just for a fleeting moment I think, Oh no, dead battery or what's wrong now. ThenTh remember I'm in my F350.

Quick Reply: New big cables make a big difference! With VIDEO