Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2018 10 speed Drive Modes

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:20 AM
howler4x4
More Turbo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 10 speed Drive Modes

Anyone know of any tech info regarding the 5 "Drive Modes" available for the 2018 10 speed automatic?

The text in the owners manual is useless marketing babble:
"Normal ... This mode provides an engaging drive experience and a direct connection to the road without sacrificing any of the composure demanded from your vehicle."

The other mode descriptions are better, but vague, no empirical information at all.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:35 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
Eco
Normal
Sport- changes shift points to give a little more aggressive/sporty feel
Tow/haul- changes shift point to better suit towing or hauling, I believe it will also downshift though each gear to let the engine help slow the truck down(at least it does on my gas powered super duty)
Manual- allows you to manually shift through the gears with the button on the shift handle.

I believe this is what Ford is talking about.

Also, in Sport and tow/haul the auto start/stop will be deactivated.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:01 PM
tuckr2
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by howler4x4
Anyone know of any tech info regarding the 5 "Drive Modes" available for the 2018 10 speed automatic?

The text in the owners manual is useless marketing babble:
"Normal ... This mode provides an engaging drive experience and a direct connection to the road without sacrificing any of the composure demanded from your vehicle."

The other mode descriptions are better, but vague, no empirical information at all.
think of normal mode as your everyday driving experience in say every year truck prior. My 2011 only had normal and tow/haul modes. Normal in a 2018 with either the 5.0 or 3.5 easily can handle almost any issue. Sport is when you want to go fast and embarrass the Ram next to you, although normal will embarrass them as well.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:35 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by tuckr2

think of normal mode as your everyday driving experience in say every year truck prior. My 2011 only had normal and tow/haul modes. Normal in a 2018 with either the 5.0 or 3.5 easily can handle almost any issue. Sport is when you want to go fast and embarrass the Ram next to you, although normal will embarrass them as well.
I was surprised how much of a difference Sport mode makes. I shifted into sport mode while accelerating and the trans downshifted and the truck shot forward like it gained more power. It defiantly upped the fun factor.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:40 AM
tuckr2
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by fordman19762003
I was surprised how much of a difference Sport mode makes. I shifted into sport mode while accelerating and the trans downshifted and the truck shot forward like it gained more power. It defiantly upped the fun factor.
yes, you got it. My transmission was a bit clunky in sport mode when I first got the truck. Hard shifts both up and down but after about a thousand miles it has now become very smooth. The sport mode really helps put instantaneous power to the ground. Also, the Eco mode truly helps with fuel mileage management. Typically see 1-2 mpg improvement in mixed city/highway driving.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:39 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Seeing how the various mode experience could be subjective, I can't imagine the manufacturer offering a detailed description of each mode and how it works. Just saying!

Old 07-23-2018, 10:07 AM
tuckr2
Mountain Pass

Knowing Which Ford Drive Mode to Select

Normal: Meant for normal road conditions and is the default mode.

Grass/Gravel/Snow: Activates 4×4 auto and adjusts shift points for more confident handling.

Sand: Locks the 4×4 system for better traction on loose surfaces. Optimizes shift points by holding gears longer.

Mud/Ruts: Locks the four-wheel-drive system for better traction on uneven terrain off-road. Also allows for wheel spin.

Tow/Haul: Reduces upshifts and downshifts when in traffic or going up/down a hill.

Sport: Provides a more spirited drive with better traction. Holds gears longer to increase throttle response.

ECO: Adjusts the transmission and engine to maximize fuel efficiency by monitoring driving actions

There are other sites online that break down the experience a bit more. The mustang has similar modes with a more fun/detailed information. They have both a sport and track mode. The modes above control not only transmission shifting and shift points, traction control as well as throttle and steering responses.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:12 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Knowing Which Ford Drive Mode to Select

Normal: Meant for normal road conditions and is the default mode.

Grass/Gravel/Snow: Activates 4×4 auto and adjusts shift points for more confident handling.

Sand: Locks the 4×4 system for better traction on loose surfaces. Optimizes shift points by holding gears longer.

Mud/Ruts: Locks the four-wheel-drive system for better traction on uneven terrain off-road. Also allows for wheel spin.

Tow/Haul: Reduces upshifts and downshifts when in traffic or going up/down a hill.

Sport: Provides a more spirited drive with better traction. Holds gears longer to increase throttle response.

ECO: Adjusts the transmission and engine to maximize fuel efficiency by monitoring driving actions

There are other sites online that break down the experience a bit more. The mustang has similar modes with a more fun/detailed information. They have both a sport and track mode. The modes above control not only transmission shifting and shift points, traction control as well as throttle and steering responses.
I don't know where in the world you are getting all those modes, because the F-150 doesn't have that many, and the 4-wheel drive does nothing in combination with the transmission. *At least on my XLT. *Is this a unique feature on higher trims? *The owner's manual certainly is identical across all trim levels and speaks none of this.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:13 AM
tuckr2
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by smokewagun

I don't know where in the world you are getting all those modes, because the F-150 doesn't have that many, and the 4-wheel drive does nothing in combination with the transmission. *At least on my XLT. *Is this a unique feature on higher trims? *The owner's manual certainly is identical across all trim levels and speaks none of this.
if you own an f150 with the 10 speed transmission then yes it does have all these modes. The button to change modes of driving is on the end of stalk of the auto trans shift lever. If you own an older model with 6 speed you would have on,y tow/haul.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:25 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master

if you own an f150 with the 10 speed transmission then yes it does have all these modes. The button to change modes of driving is on the end of stalk of the auto trans shift lever. If you own an older model with 6 speed you would have on,y tow/haul.
https://youtu.be/ilAZCBGuP-4
My dispute is the increased variety you added to options, with an operational explanation, like they existed individually... sand, gravel, mud, ruts, etc.
There are ONLY five standard options to select... normal, tow/haul, snow/rain, economy, and sport.
Im not trying to be a smarty. Only interestedif you found a way to push a button somewhere while selecting on the stalk to get a submenu or additional options. Then, again, to find where 4WD is affected by the stalk selection, which to my knowledge (supported by the owner's manual) is not operated by the drive mode. Maybe in the Expedition, Explorer type rotary button controls it is, but not the F150 that I can find.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:49 PM
tuckr2
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by smokewagun

My dispute is the increased variety you added to options, with an operational explanation, like they existed individually... sand, gravel, mud, ruts, etc.
There are ONLY five standard options to select... normal, tow/haul, snow/rain, economy, and sport.
Im not trying to be a smarty. Only interestedif you found a way to push a button somewhere while selecting on the stalk to get a submenu or additional options. Then, again, to find where 4WD is affected by the stalk selection, which to my knowledge (supported by the owner's manual) is not operated by the drive mode. Maybe in the Expedition, Explorer type rotary button controls it is, but not the F150 that I can find.
This is not a political argument so believe what your comfortable with. Enough internet searches produce the information and yes, some of the explanation I provided did not come verbatim from Fords website. Search’s of the internet brought some of this to light through automotive websites. Any additonal changes in the system are as a direct result of pushing the button on the stalk and do not produce a submenu to my knowledge for additional selections.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:33 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master

This is not a political argument so believe what your comfortable with. Enough internet searches produce the information and yes, some of the explanation I provided did not come verbatim from Fords website. Search’s of the internet brought some of this to light through automotive websites. Any additonal changes in the system are as a direct result of pushing the button on the stalk and do not produce a submenu to my knowledge for additional selections.
Relax. No argument. Just trying to find if the other two modes you listed were available on my XLT and I couldn't find them, or if they are available on other trims levels. It looks like there are only the five, so it's a dead question. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:07 PM
howler4x4
More Turbo

Originally Posted by shortride
Seeing how the various mode experience could be subjective, I can't imagine the manufacturer offering a detailed description of each mode and how it works. Just saying!
Our reactions would be subjective, but the mode parameters are set at the factory. I'm looking for the various settings that comprise each mode. I can't imagine why they would not tell us. Vive la difference. Cheers.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:16 PM
howler4x4
More Turbo

I know what the modes are for (the names are descriptive) and when to use them. I was hoping for a list of the various parameters controlled and how they are modified at least relatively, if not empirical data.
I guess most people are happy knowing their coffee is "Venti"; I want to know that it is 20 fluid ounces.

The River City Ford video had some info, thanks!

Old 07-25-2018, 12:47 PM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 314 Likes on 151 Posts
All the modes are used in my truck. Normal is the go to. When I want to hot rod it goes into Sport. Tow mode for towing. Love how tow mode will downshift when going down steep hills and keep the speed in check without overheating the brakes.

Quick Reply: 2018 10 speed Drive Modes