Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate wiring harness

Old 07-07-2018, 09:35 PM
cbrrobrr
New User
cbrrobrr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tailgate wiring harness

Hey everyone. I am the new owner of a 1990 XLT 5.8 E40D. I like it a lot. It was well loved by someone else and has a list of small problems I am working through. First, the tailgate wiring loom was rubbed/ pinched between the tailgate and severed some wires. The rear power window doesn't function. Where should I get a new wiring loom/ rear wiring harness?

Old 07-07-2018, 10:09 PM
13Bronc
New User
13Bronc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wiring harness

when I fully built my new tailgate (all new internals as well) the harness for the motor came with it but you might be able to find one on LMC truck if your lucky. As far as the other harnessís for the safety switch and the window key youd probably have to order whole new units, but before doing any of that why not just try to cut the wire, buy some butt-end connectors and be done with it. No need to replace the whole thing unless you just want to spend money on new wires

Old 09-21-2018, 02:12 PM
benshere
Elder User
benshere is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just went through tailgate motor and latch assembly relacement. Somehow in process I pulled the 2 wires that power the motor in half. I suspect they were already almost separated. I am not a big fan of crimped butt connectors unless they are readily accessable. My wires were under the inner panel slightly close to the key switch and latch. Warning ! it is a big PIA and you should have plenty of skin and flesh to donate to the sharp edges ! I removed the yellow insulator from each butt connector leaving just the tinned copper barrel. I reskined the insulation from all wires to be rejoined with a proper tool. If you can stand on your head and stack BB's this is easy------I cant ! I did my best to clean the copper (untinned) strands in each leed. They had quite a bit of tarnish. I have an old "soldering iron" from my working days and was able to get all leeds soldered back together in the barrel connectors. I then took some pieces of old vaccum hoses and made insulators which I taped on. By this time my arms are about the size of a 5th grader....
I am now trying to chase down info on the latch safety mechanism that allows power to go through these wires to operate the motor. Can the plastic insulators on the body studs cause enough slop to allow the safety feature to release. I see no adjustment on that side latch. Hopefully this will give some help------