Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From this to this

Pics are not the best ,but here is the change

Old 07-06-2018, 07:48 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,141 Likes on 651 Posts
And here I'm debating going from srw to drw.
looks like a nice job

Old 07-06-2018, 08:17 PM
Handy1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
And here I'm debating going from srw to drw.
looks like a nice job
DRW are good for heavy loads and towing. They are not good for parking,driving on city streets and going off road. I have some property in the mountains,and the road is bad,and the fields get soft in the spring. Many times I would not go there because I was afraid of getting stuck . The truck will now go without giving it a thought. It rides much better and way easier to park . It still tows my toy hauler good,but it was more stable when it was DRW. It works better for me as SRW. I do have everything to convert the truck back if I would ever want to.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:31 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,477 Likes on 2,860 Posts
Wow, huge difference for the better.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:41 PM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a heavy-ish 5th wheel and have had both DRW and SRW trucks. In my experience, the dually would stay a little better planted when battling strong crosswinds. Otherwise, I like a SRW better in every other way.

unless you have a massive 5th wheel or a particularly heavy slide-in camper, I really don't see the need for a dually. They are annoying to park in town and are brutal offroad. They often can't go in the automatic carwash, get less fuel economy, have 2 more tires to replace at a time, with fewer tires to choose from and on top of all that, have less traction on snow and ice.

unless you really need a dually, I'd recommend staying away from them. I sure as hell wont be getting another one.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:04 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
It does look good.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:22 PM
GEugeneS
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dn29626
It does look good.
I was going to say, duallys look so cool, but really, the man has good taste. Those are both beautiful trucks!!! I wonder if Handy1 would let us know what he sold the dually for?

Old 07-09-2018, 05:36 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Eugene, he just converted it to a srw.

He kept the parts.

That's an ample amount of pride in a vehicle to just pull the chain and do what you did. Beautiful rig, beautiful job.

When I first started following this thread I thought you were nuts. Your explanation for the venture is on point and I have the greatest respect for your enginuity and effort to make "yours into yours". (took me 3 shots to get enginuity right, all right I'll have another)

Most people would go the other way. First for me.

I've had both and understand completely that they may be better for a long haul +/-, but in terms of a daily, they are a lil cumbersome.

Well done.

Denny

Old 07-09-2018, 05:42 PM
GEugeneS
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDenny
Eugene, he just converted it to a srw.

He kept the parts.
Denny,

I should have figured that out by the pictures, but because of the work involved I assumed sale and purchase keeping some of the accessories. So rephrased: It was and still is a beautiful truck! And I'm sure he fully thought it out before the conversion.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:10 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
So, to make my SRW to a DRW I just need to find the bed and a few other bips and bops.

Nice work on the conversion.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Handy1
Senior User
Originally Posted by ZachinCO
So, to make my SRW to a DRW I just need to find the bed and a few other bips and bops.

The rear axial is wider on a dually. I think 4" but never measured it to be sure how much. The front hubs just have a spacer that I removed so I could mount regular wheels. The bed has the fender flairs and appears to bed a standard bed under them. I did not want to fill all the holes where the flairs were bolted to the bedside ,so I just replaced it. This also gives me a axel and bed if I would ever have the need to go back to dual wheels. Thanks for the compliment on my truck.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:23 PM
Handy1
Senior User
Thanks ,I appreciate all the compliments,This old truck has been around 18 years, For over 10 years it was never driven in the winter and used to tow with. I never hauled much in the bed because I did not want it beat up so,I would pull a trailer when I needed to haul things. Then I got to a point that I just as well use it up and buy me a new one some day . In the spring I began shopping for a new truck and brought a couple home for the night to check them out. I just could not make myself spend the amount of money it cost for a new truck. I could afford it ,but it's a lot of money and my old truck is still in good shape and only at 120,000 miles on the clock. I dicided to spend a little on it to make it work better for me and keep it. My son was dis appointed because he was going to get it.lol.I am now thinking the old truck will be back inside this winter and I will be drivering and old beater .

Old 07-10-2018, 04:43 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ZachinCO

Zach, there’s always Dually axles on CL, and I’ve seen several beds too.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:46 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350

Zach, there’s always Dually axles on CL, and I’ve seen several beds too.
I've seen some, I've also thought about a flatbed. Make me look more like a rancher.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:57 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice conversion. The only thing that stops me from thinking about getting the 5th wheel I really want is having to drive a dually I really don't want.

I'll get a lighter 5th wheel and stick to a SRW when I pull the trigger. I've driven duallys, and really don't like getting groceries or sight-seeing in them. Do love the stability with a heavy load though.

Quick Reply: From this to this