1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Two duallys, our HOA hates us

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 05:41 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Two duallys, our HOA hates us

Warning letter probably coming from the HO Ayatollahs

Old 07-05-2018, 05:53 AM
wiskeyVI
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great...

Old 07-05-2018, 04:33 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Awesome.

I bought an '07 F350 SRW from a friend, back in '08, when his HOA sent him a letter that he was violating the ban on 1 ton trucks. 150s and 250s were fine, but no 350s. Forget that the only difference in a 250 and 350 is pretty much spring rate. He replaced his SRW 350 with a Dodge 250 that had a dually kit on it. Still has it.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:14 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Nothing personal to anyone here, but what’s wrong with just following the rules?
the rules are in place to keep everyone on a reasonable plain (plane?).
My HOA sucks too, and I’ve been guilty of some stupid violations myself. But lately in my neighborhood, street parking is out of control. It’s just a matter of time until someone gets hurt.
And some jack-***** are storing their toys in perfectly good parking spots. Ridiculous.

As mentioned; I’m guilty of the same thing I’m preaching here also. I used to park my 24’ enclosed trailer in the culdesac, and for a while I parked an ugly race car in my main spot.
I grew out of it though.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:50 PM
kgmkgm
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOA is the most ridiculous thing ever when they do anything but mow your lawn and pick up your trash. #1 thing I wouldn't compromise on when we were looking for a house.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:27 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kgmkgm
HOA is the most ridiculous thing ever when they do anything but mow your lawn and pick up your trash. #1 thing I wouldn't compromise on when we were looking for a house.
i totally agree.
I will never again live where there’s an HOA.
never.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:33 PM
wirelessengineer
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree about not living where there is an HOA, but if you make the choice to live there, you don't have the right to break the rules you agreed to follow.

Signing up for an HOA and then breaking the rules is just being a spoiled child.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:08 PM
kgmkgm
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Screw em. Rules are made to be broken.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:28 AM
6door74
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
We made it a point to try and not buy a home with an HOA. Our previous rental had one and the lady would drive around on her little golf cart measuring grass length. She'd also write letters about uncovered vehicles needing license plates but never getting out her cart to see that the vehicle had a rear tag.

I get the issues with unkempt yards, houses, junk cars, etc. But saying you can't have a 1 ton vehicle is ridiculous! Now if it's a big *** work truck with a bunch of racks, signage, and equipment, then maybe.

When i bought a Ram 1500 years ago, the dealer gave me commercial tags. I was too naive and excited to address it right away. Then I was told i had to wait for the title in the mail to get the DMV to correct it. I got a ticket almost every night in front my apartment for parking on a residential street and had to "sneak" on the parkways hoping i wouldn't get pulled over.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:48 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
RenoHuskerDu that is a cool looking van!! Is it a dually rear axle or just adapters?

Originally Posted by 6door74
We made it a point to try and not buy a home with an HOA. Our previous rental had one and the lady would drive around on her little golf cart measuring grass length. She'd also write letters about uncovered vehicles needing license plates but never getting out her cart to see that the vehicle had a rear tag.

I get the issues with unkempt yards, houses, junk cars, etc. But saying you can't have a 1 ton vehicle is ridiculous! Now if it's a big *** work truck with a bunch of racks, signage, and equipment, then maybe.

When i bought a Ram 1500 years ago, the dealer gave me commercial tags. I was too naive and excited to address it right away. Then I was told i had to wait for the title in the mail to get the DMV to correct it. I got a ticket almost every night in front my apartment for parking on a residential street and had to "sneak" on the parkways hoping i wouldn't get pulled over.
It's not just HOA's. I live in a small town and the police( blight patrol ) like to hand out ordinance violation notices on how tall the grass is, where you place your garbage cans, where you park your vehicles on your property, how many vehicles you can have on your property, what kind of vehicles you can park on your property. I have a 91 F-Superduty truck ( 14 1/2' flatbed ) that I got a notice on because it's not allowed on residential lots. So I have to store it at an outdoor mini storage place 20 miles away. It's so bad that they had to bring in cops from neighboring towns to do the traffic patrols/enforcement while the city cop was out handing out yard and garbage can violations. Our tax dollars hard at work.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:24 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
>RenoHuskerDu that is a cool looking van!! Is it a dually rear axle or just adapters?

Adapters. The goal is safety for my fam, not carrying heavy loads. With adapters I didn't have to change the brakes, master cylinder, proportioning valve.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:25 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by wirelessengineer
I agree about not living where there is an HOA, but if you make the choice to live there, you don't have the right to break the rules you agreed to follow.

Signing up for an HOA and then breaking the rules is just being a spoiled child.
They don't like us because there's no rule against duallys so they can't give us tickets. But if your pickup has a company name on it, you can't park overnight. Glad I'm not that poor guy.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:06 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Im50fast
Nothing personal to anyone here, but what’s wrong with just following the rules?
the rules are in place to keep everyone on a reasonable plain (plane?).
My HOA sucks too, and I’ve been guilty of some stupid violations myself. But lately in my neighborhood, street parking is out of control. It’s just a matter of time until someone gets hurt.
And some jack-***** are storing their toys in perfectly good parking spots. Ridiculous.

As mentioned; I’m guilty of the same thing I’m preaching here also. I used to park my 24’ enclosed trailer in the culdesac, and for a while I parked an ugly race car in my main spot.
I grew out of it though.
I fully understand the need for HOAs. The intent is to handle un-acceptable behavior and situations so that people can engage enjoy their homes and property.

The problem is that all governments exceed their intended roles because absolute power corrupts. And people who want to wield that power seek out the positions on the HOA committee for the purpose of using exercising that power over their neighbors.

What the heck difference does it make if the badge on the side of my truck says F250 or F350. Its the same truck. In my example above the owner was forced to sell the truck. This is unreasonable. I know that in the case of his HOA the idea was to prevent home owners from parking service/work trucks (with ladder racks, utility bodies, etc...) in the driveways regularly. In my example above the owner was an accountant and owned a very nice truck that happened to be an F350. No racks, tool box or even business logo. Enforcing the HOA rules against him produced no benefit for the HOA or any other home owner. So why do it?

My personal experience with HOAs was miserable. Can't park a vehicle outside overnight. Period. Never. For no reason. Have family coming to visit for Christmas and you and your wife's cars already occupy the two bays in the garage? Expect to be sited and fined by the HOA for letting your kids or parents car sit in _your_ driveway overnight. On vacation for a week and don't arrange to have somebody mow your lawn? Another fine. My garage door opener failed and the door pulled the tracks away from the frame. I couldn't close the door and it was three days before the Overhead Door company could fix the problem (under warranty). You guessed it: Fined for leaving my garage door open when not in use.

HOAs are full of people who seem to think its their personal mission to enforce the letter of the rules without consideration of circumstances, events of even acts of God. I bought 7 acres outside of the city limits. F the HOAs.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:00 AM
Maillemaker
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Personally, I hate subdivision living. I would rather live out in the woods like a hermit. But, I have young children who need good schools and other kids to play with. So, we live in a subdivision. Our HOA is not militant. I like that we don't allow overnight parking of vehicles on the street. I remember our neighborhood in Atlanta when it got overrun by multiple families living in the same house and so the streets were choked with cars in the evening. We had a guy in our neighborhood who was permanently parking his truck on the street. I emailed the HOA and then the guy put it back in his driveway where it belongs. On the other hand, I needed to replace the radiator in my RV and it took a few days for an undamaged radiator to come in. Technically I violated the HOA rules by having it in my driveway for more than 24 hours. But no one complained.

Ultimately, though, the way to fix your HOA if you have problems is simply take over the board.

Steve

Old 07-10-2018, 11:22 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
We are so tired of crap from our HOA that we are leasing our house out and moving to acreage in the county. We have been following the rules, but they are onerous. Who really reads that 60-page HOA document when you buy your house? Well, you should.

Quick Reply: Two duallys, our HOA hates us