2009 Explorer trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 08:17 PM
modeltford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Explorer trailer wiring

Hi! I have a 2009 Explorer I'm installing a 7-pin Rv connector on. It has the connector for the brake controller under the dash, and the 4-pin flat connector as part of the rear loom. Where does the Black (power) and Blue (brakes) wires run to from the connector? Only as far as the fuse box? What gauge wire should I run?

Also, checking the 4-wire plug, turn lites work fine unless the brakes are on - then both side just stay on steady. I sit due to the Explorer having separate bulbs for turn and brake? Is there a fix?

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2018, 07:21 PM
wirelessengineer
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by modeltford
Hi! I have a 2009 Explorer I'm installing a 7-pin Rv connector on. It has the connector for the brake controller under the dash, and the 4-pin flat connector as part of the rear loom. Where does the Black (power) and Blue (brakes) wires run to from the connector? Only as far as the fuse box? What gauge wire should I run?
Check for a diagram on etrailer.com. As far as the gauge, that depends on what those wires are powering. How many amps does the circuit draw, and how far is the run?

As for the fuse box, I don't like to get any power from the fuse box. An ignition sense is fine, but if you need actual power, you are much better off going to the battery. Fuse all leads close to the power source, of course.

Originally Posted by modeltford
Also, checking the 4-wire plug, turn lites work fine unless the brakes are on - then both side just stay on steady. I sit due to the Explorer having separate bulbs for turn and brake? Is there a fix!
Since you have separate bulbs for turn and brake you may need a converter. Something like
this Curt 3 wire (left, right, brake) to two wire (left, right) converter this Curt 3 wire (left, right, brake) to two wire (left, right) converter

This one isn't powered, though, and I really prefer the powered kind. These run a separate power lead to your battery and draw power for the trailer from there, rather than from your vehicle's existing wiring. This protects your vehicle from shorts, mis-wiring, and general mayhem in the trailer's wiring.

But you are running a 7 pin. Do you have separate brake and turn signals on the trailer? If you do, you don't need the converter and it's likely something is mis-wired.