Sponsored by: Moser

running boards

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 09:14 AM
wharthog
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
running boards

I just can't find a running board that works like I feel it should for my "14" F-150 super crew. I have the oval tube type now they are useless while getting out of the truck. Even my wife agrees they are too narrow or tucked under the cab too far to be useful. I have been looking for a step like I had on my Super duty, a wide flat step that runs from the front of the front door to the rear of the rear door. Even the Raptor steps are too narrow. I just saw a pair at the grocery store, got out and checked them out up close. They are a little better than the tube I have but only in the front door area. I even asked at the aftermarket place near me, the guy could only show me more tube steps.
Help! I can see the seat will be ruined in short order from sliding off while getting out of the truck.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:43 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here's what I have on my 2013 F150 Super Crew. They're aftermarket, and fit like a glove, you'll see in the pictures that they actually go to the front of the rear wheel well. And unless your off road and really have that frame twisting (and I don't) that should never be an issue.
Mine have been on the truck for a couple of years, and have had zero issues.
I've included a link from my purchase if you want to see more.
Amazon Amazon

Unk Bob

Front side view

Left side view

Top View

Old 06-23-2018, 11:18 AM
rbentnail
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Do an Amazon search for 'ford truck nerf bars'. The ones I put on an '01 Scab were very nice width & length. Even my petite wife could manage with them.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:53 AM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Amp power steps. They are lower than other styles, they extend farther away from the door, and are out of the way when you are driving. They are expensive but nearly everyone that I know that has them loves them and won't go back to other styles.

I have the ford factory version and won't ever have a truck that doesn't have them again.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:16 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
x2 on the AMP Research Power Boards

Old 06-25-2018, 07:43 PM
wharthog
More Turbo
OK, I hate to say it but the fold up ones look like they might be what I have to get. Man, I didn't want to spend that kind of money. King-bRanch, can you post a top view pic and or a side view with the steps out?

Old 06-26-2018, 11:28 AM
calvynandhobbs
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see you're in Michigan. Are you anywhere near Kalamazoo? You could stop into JCR Offroad and they could probably build whatever you want. They did some rocksliders/steps for my Bronco years ago.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:38 PM
Lone Wolff
Cross-Country
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
These are what came OEM on my 2010 Lariat SCREW. Flat and about 6" wide.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:13 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the stainless steel, powdercoated Aries steps on here since the first week or so of owning this truck, so ~75,000 miles with little noticeable wear. I like the them because they don't ruin my ground clearance because they go further out than down and as a side benefit, they make the ultimate in parking lot door ding prevention! I can't count the times I got to have a good chuckle as someone bounced their door off my steps instead of my expensive sheet metal. Leaves a nice dent in their door and nothing on mine

Old 06-27-2018, 09:05 AM
wharthog
More Turbo
Originally Posted by zxwut?

I've had the stainless steel, powdercoated Aries steps on here since the first week or so of owning this truck, so ~75,000 miles with little noticeable wear. I like the them because they don't ruin my ground clearance because they go further out than down and as a side benefit, they make the ultimate in parking lot door ding prevention! I can't count the times I got to have a good chuckle as someone bounced their door off my steps instead of my expensive sheet metal. Leaves a nice dent in their door and nothing on mine
Quick question for zxwut. How wide is the bracket that hold the tube up? With just two arms to hold up the tube it would make me think they would flex a bit with my crippled fat **** stepping up on them. Now at 230# after surgery, what I dont need is another fall. I do like how far they are from the door sill.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:56 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wharthog
Quick question for zxwut. How wide is the bracket that hold the tube up? With just two arms to hold up the tube it would make me think they would flex a bit with my crippled fat **** stepping up on them. Now at 230# after surgery, what I dont need is another fall. I do like how far they are from the door sill.
Aries (Curt) lists them with a 250lb weight limit. I've had heavier people than that in and out on them routinely, but that's what they advertise. I work with some large people.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:38 PM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
I had OEM ones. After 7 yrs the paint started blistering. After thinking about it, I thought it would be better in the long run to replace them rather then sand/prime/paint.
I thought the OEM ones were nice but they were slippering when we or detailed.

I really wanted the AMP steps but I just couldnt justify spending that much, especially when my neighbor with a newer F150 with them gripes about how winter caused some issues with his OEM power ones.

I went with Luverne omega 2, which I thought were reasonably priced, looked pretty good, and the grips are really solid. I'll have to add pics later, I dont have any right now.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:50 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Check out the many options offered here. https://runningboardwarehouse.com/sh...supercrew.html I have the Ionic Factory Style Running Boards. Much better footing when entering and exiting the cab; especially when you have to open the door slightly in tight places.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:12 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by wharthog
OK, I hate to say it but the fold up ones look like they might be what I have to get. Man, I didn't want to spend that kind of money. King-bRanch, can you post a top view pic and or a side view with the steps out?
Sorry for the delay, but I've been too busy lately to be on here....
Here's a pic as requested, the boards are perfectly flat & over 6 inches wide.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:57 AM
Olytlr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can afford the amp steps that is the way to go. I personally love my Raptor running boards. They are nice and wide, have tons of grip and tuck up tight against the body.

Quick Reply: running boards