Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What are the vents for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:47 AM
Handy1
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are the vents for?

My truck was a dually and I changed it to singal rear wheel. When I had the bed off I discovered there are vents in the back of the cab.. The only thing I can think of, is these were added to let the pressure out of the cab when closing the doors. Are they still putting these in the newer trucks? This seems to me just a place to let more noise in the cab. This just might be one of Fords better ideas .ha ha. I am planning to take these out and bolt an panel in there place to seal out the noise that may be coming through .I also have some X-matt ( made by Eastwood)that I am going to cover the inside of the cab with.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:02 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
If you do embark on that voyage, make sure have a window cracked when closing a door. I want to say, better have 1 cracked all the time..aka, running a/c..etc.

GM had a hellofatime figuring out on how to get the rear glass to close automatically. There was more pressure accumulated in the cab that it did not allow the glass to close securely. The fix, was for the front windows to come down automatically about an inch..

Old 06-23-2018, 11:51 AM
Handy1
Senior User
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
If you do embark on that voyage, make sure have a window cracked when closing a door. I want to say, better have 1 cracked all the time..aka, running a/c..etc.

GM had a hellofatime figuring out on how to get the rear glass to close automatically. There was more pressure accumulated in the cab that it did not allow the glass to close securely. The fix, was for the front windows to come down automatically about an inch..
I can't see how the cab is sealed up so tight that the doors won't close.i know air gets down through the cab corners and the heater- A/C controls the vent in that system.A/C will cool outside air and bring it into the cab or receircalate the air inside the cab. Maybe I am wrong ,but this truck is 18 years old and I can't see it being air tight. I am sure it won't float if put in water.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:48 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 189 Likes on 131 Posts
Really, that loud 7.3 sitting right in front of you and your worried about noise coming through those vents. I wish that was I all I had to deal with, or that my hearing was that good. I truly feel that is a non issue, but good luck.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:04 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
They're also there to let the farts out, you'll have to open a window to fart if you close them off.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:54 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
I thought that was part of the cross flow ventilation built into all motor vehicles to prevent carbon monoxide buildup.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:54 PM
268Fords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try gently closing your doors with the windows shut vs. closing them with a window cracked open. The door won’t close fully.
I was always under the impression that these were there for when you closed your door normally to allow the pressure to escape.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:45 PM
Handy1
Senior User
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
Really, that loud 7.3 sitting right in front of you and your worried about noise coming through those vents. I wish that was I all I had to deal with, or that my hearing was that good. I truly feel that is a non issue, but good luck.
I agree that it is a non issue,and the 7.3 is loud. Since I have the bed off again to do some paint matching,I thought it was a good time to see if I could get some of the noise gone.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:52 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Since I have the bed off"

Good time to do H&H mods if not done already. No dropping tank and fighting with other stuff.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:00 PM
Handy1
Senior User
The newer trucks are so much quieter than the old ones. I know the 7.3 does a lot more hammering up front than the newer Diesel engines. Even the 6.0 is quieter when running. But there is more to it than that. Insulation has came a long way over that last 20 years as well. That technology was not available when when these trucks were built. So that is my direction. I know it won't be quiet like a new truck ,but maybe I can make it better than it is now. I pulled the back seat out and the back of the cab below the window was bare metal. I covered that with X-Mat and while I was this far ,I rolled the carpet forward and covered the floor from the back of cab to the back of the front seatswith X-Mat. That is all I can get to with out pulling the front seats. If I find that I need the vents for the cab to breath, it's just a matter of putting them back in.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:02 PM
Handy1
Senior User
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
"Since I have the bed off"

Good time to do H&H mods if not done already. No dropping tank and fighting with other stuff.
what is H&H mod. And how does it help.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:11 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hutch & Harpoon search will show you how. It is basically removing the internal filter in the tank and replacing with a straight pick up tube. Also eliminates the quick disconnect hose fittings which are known to leak air into the suction side of the fuel pump. It requires a new filter set up pre pump. The other mod is just shorting the filler tube inside of the tank for faster and more complete fill-ups.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:05 AM
Handy1
Senior User
I removed the vents and covered the back of the cab and floor with the X-Mat sound deadening material. This sealed off the wholes where the vents were. The doors shut fine. I can tell that there is a little air pressure inside the cab as the door closes,but I doubt anyone else will notice,as I was checking for it. The truck has not been out of the garage yet,but I am convinced it will be fine without the vents ,so I will make a coulple bolt in panels to seal these wholes up.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:50 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Handy1
The truck has not been out of the garage yet,but I am convinced it will be fine without the vents
Ford, and damn near everyone else, installs vents. It doesn't take much to convince the average guy that they've done something better than the teams of engineers that have been designing vehicles for decades.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:16 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Handy1
...I removed the vents...
...I can tell that there is a little air pressure inside the cab as the door closes...
From this point forward, do not have children or pets inside the cab...ears/hearing.

Quick Reply: What are the vents for?