Sponsored by: Moser

Frekin DipStick Tube!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 02:58 PM
Jpegg01
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frekin DipStick Tube!!!!

Just got new motor in and running, take for test drive down highway and frekin dipstick tube fail to seal and blows oil out every where, pressure dropped down to 20lbs and I shut it down and found oil blown everywhere. Hopefully no damage done. So this is the oil pan I bought and put on. So assuming my engine isnt screwed can someone give me advice on dipstick tube options? I have looked some up but am struggling to understand how they can mount to my oil pan?

Ford Performance Parts Oil Pans M-6675-A460

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6675-a460

Old 06-17-2018, 05:00 PM
flatbedfordguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe I am wrong but on most dip stick tubes there's an upper mounting bracket that attaches to the block/head that would prevent the tube from "blowing out".

Old 06-17-2018, 05:38 PM
Jpegg01
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by flatbedfordguy
Maybe I am wrong but on most dip stick tubes there's an upper mounting bracket that attaches to the block/head that would prevent the tube from "blowing out".
Yes and mine was attached, but where is attaches to the pan was just not a snug fit and oil would shoot out around it with high rpms

Old 06-17-2018, 05:52 PM
flatbedfordguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jpegg01
Yes and mine was attached, but where is attaches to the pan was just not a snug fit and oil would shoot out around it with high rpms
That should be a pretty tight friction fit, maybe use some RTV silicone? or Teflon tape?

Old 06-17-2018, 08:30 PM
jakeharp
Fleet Mechanic
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
rtv

Originally Posted by flatbedfordguy
That should be a pretty tight friction fit, maybe use some RTV silicone? or Teflon tape?
No sure what a new one needs for assembly, but I seems like RTV or some kind of sealant would be necessary, I used RTV when I re assembled my old one...

Old 06-17-2018, 08:41 PM
flatbedfordguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by jakeharp
No sure what a new one needs for assembly, but I seems like RTV or some kind of sealant would be necessary, I used RTV when I re assembled my old one...
Ditto. I always put a dab of RTV on the tube end, just a precautionary measure.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:04 AM
speedfreak78
Cargo Master
Received 423 Likes on 338 Posts
Are there suppose to be o-rings or a gasket on it? Make sure you're crankcase vents are clear and your not building pressure. That shouldn't be coming out because of the mounting tab, even if it was a loose fit.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:28 AM
Jpegg01
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by speedfreak78
Are there suppose to be o-rings or a gasket on it? Make sure you're crankcase vents are clear and your not building pressure. That shouldn't be coming out because of the mounting tab, even if it was a loose fit.
Well the oil system has pressure which going 65 down highway is 50lbs plus, mine has been showing upwards of 70lbs That alone will blow oil out somewhere if not sealed and since it mounts in the pan and not the timing cover makes it all the more easier to blow out.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:35 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
your crankcase should not be subject to high pressure. It should ideally have a slight vacuum. You may have excessive blow by, i.e. rings not seated. etc.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 AM
Jpegg01
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by beartracks
your crankcase should not be subject to high pressure. It should ideally have a slight vacuum. You may have excessive blow by, i.e. rings not seated. etc.
So your saying that my oil pressure it to high? Even the motor I had in before this one had 80pis when cold and dropped down to around 50psi when warm?

Old 06-18-2018, 09:42 AM
Jpegg01
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Jpegg01
So your saying that my oil pressure it to high? Even the motor I had in before this one had 80pis when cold and dropped down to around 50psi when warm?
At idle no oil comes out the oil pan dipstick tube hole, but when I rev engine oil starts shooting out the hole, I assumed this is normal if the hole isnt sealed properly. Am I looking at this incorrectly?

Old 06-18-2018, 10:03 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
Something is not right. Too much oil or too much pressure in the crankcase.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:09 AM
EQCMCAT
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Jpegg01,
What engine do you have? I have the 351M/400 in my 77 F-150 and my dipstick tube fitting going into the side of the oil pan leaked. If you have the same style, I'll gladly share what I had to do to get mine from leaking.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Jpegg01
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by EQCMCAT
Jpegg01,
What engine do you have? I have the 351M/400 in my 77 F-150 and my dipstick tube fitting going into the side of the oil pan leaked. If you have the same style, I'll gladly share what I had to do to get mine from leaking.
mine has 460 but cant imagin there is much difference. however attempting to modify the tube I broke the end off and now I was looking at aftermarts tubes but the dont appear to have mounting end like mine and I didnt know what kinda modification the pan required to use one.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:42 AM
EQCMCAT
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Jpegg01,
I'm not familiar W/the 460 dipstick tube, so I'll do the best describing mine and what I did to get mine to get it from leaking on my 77 F-150 4x4 W/the 351M/400 engine. I had to remove the oil pan to get access to the dipstick tube fitting. The actual dipstick tube fitting was riveted to the side of the oil pan and is cast iron. Appeared my oil dipstick fitting was leaking due to the gasket between the oil pan and fitting was old, brittle and very thin, and had become loose over time. I cleaned the inside of the oil pan once I had it removed, ground off the rivet head and removed the rivets. I cleaned, the oil pan mounting surface with emery cloth, did the same with the cast iron dipstick tube fitting and used Permatex Right Stuff Gasket maker. I also got four stainless steel screws and nylon lock nuts; instead of re-using rivets. My dipstick tube has a brass fitting that tightens the tube onto the actual dipstick mount, that mounts onto the side of the oil pan. I used high pressure sealant on the threads of brass fitting and that was back in November of 2016 and it has not leaked since. I performed that repair during the rear main seal replacement, while I had the oil pan removed.
Don't be surprised if you have to remove your oil pan which you might have to jack your engine up to get clearance to remove your oil pan. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Frekin DipStick Tube!!!!