1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Filling the dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 03:33 PM
Xchamp
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job! U will be very happy with the end project. They look so much cleaner without the pad!

Old 06-21-2018, 03:46 PM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
Originally Posted by Xchamp
Nice job! U will be very happy with the end project. They look so much cleaner without the pad!
Okay, you have some explaining to do! lol

What is that you have covering the floor? Looks like Dynamat kind of stuff. I love the integration of the vents in the dash too. Mustang vents? Also, while I (hopefully) have your attention, what carpet are you using? I do not want to use the rubber firewall pad. I'd like carpet that goes up the firewall and keeps the insulation hidden underneath if possible.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:10 PM
LACzar
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks like ice and water barrier to me. I have used it on a roof, but not as a sound/insulation membrane.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:24 PM
Xchamp
Senior User
Yes it's asphalt based ice guard. Very similar to dynamat at about 1/4 the cost. I'm also going to use a foil heat barrier. The center vents are from the 13 mustang GT that I used the drivetrain from. The vent on the right is actually from a chevy Cruze.. really didn't care for the cheap under dash vents that came with the classic a/c kit. But the duct work to make the center vents work was very labor intensive. I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow. I'm just using standard truck carpet without the fuel tank and going to use a color matched piece for the upper firewall and back wall where the tank was.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:48 AM
72CC428
Posting Guru
I think you guys just made up my mind about dash pad or not. Awesome work.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:06 AM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
Here's the full video

Old 06-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Xchamp
Senior User
Great video!! Here's some more photos of my finished dash.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:01 PM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
Great video!! Here's some more photos of my finished dash.

OH MY! That's gorgeous! I need to use a fill primer on mine next and get the interior painted. I think I may still have some work to do. I'm a borderline perfectionist. I found a little low spot and that dent that cannot stay there.

I'm going to look into the Ice Guard stuff. Dynamat is so expensive.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:04 PM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
xchamp, I meant to ask; how much of that stuff do I need and how do I adhere it?

Old 06-22-2018, 04:25 PM
LACzar
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
OH MY! That's gorgeous! I need to use a fill primer on mine next and get the interior painted. I think I may still have some work to do. I'm a borderline perfectionist. I found a little low spot and that dent that cannot stay there.

I'm going to look into the Ice Guard stuff. Dynamat is so expensive.
They sell it @ Lowes and Home Depot or something similar to it there. They may call it by a different name than Grace. It is a peel and stick product. The product may come in two different textures - rough and smooth. I would try the smooth one.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:30 PM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Do not get the Frostking stuff at Lowes ! I used it on my wifes El camino . the foil back comes right off . total waste of time and $$

Old 06-22-2018, 05:47 PM
emeraldcoupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
man, excellent video. turned out great. I have to patch my dash above the glove box ( friggin squirrel **** rotted it out ) , I just may have to do this also since my pad is shot anyway.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:58 PM
Xchamp
Senior User
Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
xchamp, I meant to ask; how much of that stuff do I need and how do I adhere it?
it comes in a roll, I think 100' for around $100. Enough to do 4 trucks. Yes it's just peel and stick. I'm sure it's not as good as dynamat but for the price it's worth a shot. It's gotta be better than nothing. You could do two layers if you wanted. I used rubberized spray undercoating in hard to reach areas and the inside of the doors. The doors sound solid when slammed.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:12 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

it comes in a roll, I think 100' for around $100. Enough to do 4 trucks. Yes it's just peel and stick. I'm sure it's not as good as dynamat but for the price it's worth a shot. It's gotta be better than nothing. You could do two layers if you wanted. I used rubberized spray undercoating in hard to reach areas and the inside of the doors. The doors sound solid when slammed.
Thanks for letting everyone know about using that Ice and Water Guard mat, I rep'ed you for it.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:41 AM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
Originally Posted by MIKES 68 F100
Do not get the Frostking stuff at Lowes ! I used it on my wifes El camino . the foil back comes right off . total waste of time and $$
I have heard bad things about some of these products so your warning comes with more bite, so to speak. I'll avoid that product. I'll look specifically for this Grace stuff.
Originally Posted by emeraldcoupe
man, excellent video. turned out great. I have to patch my dash above the glove box ( friggin squirrel **** rotted it out ) , I just may have to do this also since my pad is shot anyway.
I have a donor with a decent dash, or at least what I can tell without taking the pad off. Just in case... Get to yours and see how bad it is and if you need sheet metal.
Thank you so much. I'm within a couple weeks of needing to do that stuff. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but the goal this weekend is to get the interior blocked and painted as well as the firewall. Then the cab goes back on the frame.

Quick Reply: Filling the dash