6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

COUNTERFIT MOTORCRAFT FILTERS from Amazon.com: Fuel filter problem - won’t snap into cap

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 01:08 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I guess it also has to do with what I will buy on Ebay also. I tend to buy things I know how to check and am willing to risk the funds.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:11 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
My big dollar failures on eBay were in the audio interest where components were in the several thousand dollar range. There’s nothing like getting a Pre-Amp for $3k and find it’s nothing like the pictures or description. By that time I learned to set up my 8mm video camera so I could document opening the box and showing what was inside. It’s was like here when Asheville got back Anthony’s motor he thought was bogus.

Seller then said he didn’t have the funds to reimburse since eBay froze his sales and wanted me to drop the complaint to unfreeze. PayPal said don’t do that, he has history and if you drop you can’t reinstate. Finally got my money. After that all my audio trades stayed on Audiogon. I haven played with audio since 2008.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:44 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Jack has a good point on the risk.
The things I buy on Ebay all come with 2 types of risk. The loss of the money is the first one but the one that can really bite you is the collateral damage. Can you
aford to replace an engine because some stupid filter was a fake and send all sorts of crap through your engine? I have a few sellers I know and that have a very good
track recoard with me and the things they sell are of the type that can be checked with little effort. That brings us back to "What Are You Willing To Risk?"

One thing I got yesterday has good benefit for the truck and the risk is very low and is easy to verify. It is a turbo oil feed hard line. Before it goes on the truck it will
get well cleaned inside and out. Don't need crud from someones failed engine in my turbo.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:50 PM
Texas Bob
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Like Bismic, I have been buying my filters from https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/ for 15 years. I buy the RACAR fuel and oil filters as I believe they are the manufacturer for Motorcraft. Right stuff, good price and good service - can't ask much more. I also buy the Parker air filter when necessary from them which is not very often.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:54 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
They are having to deal with this type of issue all over the place and in aviation it can be deadly.
The best rule I know of is buy from known sources that will stand behind what they sell.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:33 PM
howardq99
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I too recently purchased a FD-4616 fuel filter off of Amazon and now the very low price of $30.80 seems too good to be a genuine Motorcraft filter.

Does anyone know if the two o-rings (with the paper instructions) for the filter housings come in a separate plastic bag inside the box? I believe that is how they were packaged last time I purchased them from dieselfiltersonline,.

This set of filters has the large HFCM filter o-ring & paper instructions packaged in a plastic bag and then packaged in with the large filter (double bagged so to speak) and the smaller filter has it's own plastic wrapping with the o-ring crammed in the cavity. Also, should there be any patent numbers on the fuel filters like they have on the oil filters?

Thanks!
Howard

Old 06-23-2018, 01:11 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
The fleet bulk packages tend to differ than what you get at the dealer.
I just looked at the ones I have and they are not double bagged.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:20 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I’ve had the packaging both ways from DieselFiltersOnline. When I saw the wrap up I figured they were changing so debris didn’t get into the filter before install.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:51 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
That works until the dirty fingers get dirt on it during install.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:03 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

But it's not in the interior.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:18 PM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Received 452 Likes on 299 Posts
I'm glad I saw this thread. Those low prices are tempting, and it's convenient to buy a filter and Archoil for an oil change at the same time. Never again. I'll commit my rewards coupons to filter discounts at O'Reilly's.

As for Amazon, I've been ordering less and less over the past year. Their prices aren't always so low anymore, and since they set-up shop in Dallas, we have to pay sales taxes too. Also their delivery dates have become consistently unreliable. And I'm not even talking about their politics, their deal with the NSA, or buyout of Washington Post. I use them for product searches and reviews, but these days I almost always order directly from manufacturer or another supplier, even if it costs a little more or takes a little longer.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:07 PM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
I just bought filters from Amazon, Walmart and O'Reilly. All of them were identical except for price, Walmart and Amazon were $12.50, O'Reilly was $23.99. I'll continue to buy from Amazon as long as the price is right and they don't send a knock-off. It costs nothing to send it back.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:11 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
I bought a Motorcraft hose from Wal-Mart using Google Express, cheaper than Amazon and shipped just as fast. Using discount codes and SpeedPerks I bought a Motorcraft 6.0L Donaldson air filter from Advance Auto, also cheaper than Amazon. I also buy fuel filters this way.

Wal-Mart has a good price on off the shelf Motorcraft oil filters and usually has the best price on Delo 5W-40.

If you shop around it is easy to find parts at good prices without sacrificing quality.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:00 AM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I buy my filters from autozone or advance auto parts. An extra $10 for fuel filters every 2-3 years and I don't have to worry or deal with any problems.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:19 AM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Amazon's quality control sucks,period. They allow Chinese knock off to be sold on everything. The problem is, the Chinese have no standard except cheap and inferred products thus putting the American public at risk. I don't know how many of you heard about the family that was killed in the accident in Delaware from a out of control F 350. The investigation has not said why,but I'm betting it was parts bought off Amazon. If you get a knock off, return it and call the Attorney General of your state,that's the only way we can keep our roads and family's safe.

Quick Reply: COUNTERFIT MOTORCRAFT FILTERS from Amazon.com: Fuel filter problem - won’t snap into cap