Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injector Cup Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 07:56 PM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Injector Cup Replacement

I have my Excursion in the shop after getting diesel fuel smell and found out that there is fuel in the coolant. Its been that way for a month. The Ex has 240000 miles and have owned it since 28000 miles. Here is what they told me that will need to be done: Compression check, Injector cup replacement, replace all injectors (since they haven't been done), flush the cooling system, replace all hoses, radiator professionally flushed, replace up pipes (needs it), flush the fuel system and probably a few other things. The shop told me that it will probably cost over 5 grand and then some.

I don't have the time or resources at this point to do all this work. Thoughts on the process? Is this standard operating procedure?

I have not made a decision yet as to have it repaired or work on getting another vehicle. I'll visit the shop in the morning to really go over all of the costs etc. We will pray about it and see where it goes.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:18 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can turn wrenches, you can do the cup job yourself because it is not that difficult? If so, you can do the job for about $300-400 and that includes: cups $100, glow plugs $80 (Motorcraft ZD-11 ONLY) and injector o-rings: $60 for Alliant (ONLY), tool rental $50 from Riffraff, and about 8 hrs of work that will be spread out over 2 days. This includes cup sealant and a couple of brushes. Then about $80-100 for coolant and distilled water.

How well was the truck running prior to this happening? There are members here who have 300k+ miles on their original injectors. How easily did the truck crank and run this last winter? If it cranked and ran without issues, then you most likely don't need injectors. New injectors can be purchased for about $1600 and yours can be rebuilt for around $1000. Up pipes, Dorman or equivalent are about $130, which is probably what the shop will use, are a pain to do but still doable and simple: you'll also need pedestal o-rings $6. Compression check is not necessary in my opinion if the truck cranks easily, has a steady crank, and a steady idle. The cooling system needs to be flushed post cup replacement: Cascade dishwasher detergent $5 and about 2 hours = done. Flushing the fuel system is not necessary IMO due to the fact that the coolant almost never makes it into the fuel system due to fuel pressure being around 60 PSI and the coolant pressure being around 16 PSI. They should know that.

"Probably a few other things" = scary. I'd grab my Ex and I would not go back there. You could easily do all of this to include NEW injectors for around $2000 or $1400 using remans which is what the shop will probably use. What is the additional $3000+ going towards, LABOR at $350+ per hour?

The brotherhood can guide you through this whole process successfully.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:16 AM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
The Excursion ran great and had no problems starting. The only recent thing that I've noticed is that I would get some white smoke at start up. I don't have the time to do the repairs myself. The shop that it is at has a pretty good reputation, they do diesels only and run Motorcraft parts.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:43 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Time to do the repairs is the sticking point. If you don't have the time, you are going to have to spend the money. It is a pretty straight forward job. Is your time worth the extra $2,500-$3,000?

Old 05-16-2018, 11:43 AM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
They guy I talked to yesterday gave me ball park numbers so that had me freaked out. They are working up a solid estimate and I can pick and choose what I need done.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:46 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Sky
The Excursion ran great and had no problems starting. The only recent thing that I've noticed is that I would get some white smoke at start up. I don't have the time to do the repairs myself. The shop that it is at has a pretty good reputation, they do diesels only and run Motorcraft parts.
I understand your issue with time but $3k for labor is ridiculous IMO. Telling you that you need injectors when they are running fine and that they have to flush the fuel system is completely bogus, then add the "few other things" into the equation, all of which would call their reputation into question for most of us.

So, another option is to ask them for the itemized bill prior to the repair and once you get it, then tell them that you don't need injectors just NEW Alliant o-rings (based upon your answers about them) and tell them to skip the fuel system flush as well. See how much that knocks off the cost of the repair. You can do the injectors later for the above prices in about 2-3 hours.

The white smoke, which could be injector related, could also be several things other than injectors. Does it clear up when the truck is warmed up? Is the truck tuned?

Old 05-17-2018, 02:55 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Just replaced my injectors. Not difficult but it is time consuming. My o-rings were going but the injectors were still running great at 305K miles. I had the money and wanted to only go in there once so I went with new injectors. I've read of people going 400K+ on the original injectors. Just because the o-rings are on the outs doesn't mean you have to go all in with injectors too. If they are running good you can put in new cups, (Alliant) o-rings, and keep chugging. I would recommend new glow plugs, UVCHs, and valve cover gaskets though (OEM of course). They have been heat cycled for 240K miles and there's a new design that holds the connector together better.

Just my .02

Old 05-18-2018, 04:53 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did cups at 315000 miles. Replaced o rings on factory injectors, and shed still running strong now. Like others have said no need to replace injectors if they run good