Spring Problem.Mustang II ifs - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Spring Problem.Mustang II ifs

Old 05-15-2018, 06:44 PM
Sickler1
Senior User
Sickler1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Spring Problem.Mustang II ifs

Was putting springs in on my mustang II ifs and something just doesn't look right. Looks like the.lower a arm sticks out further then the top spring mount cause spring to sit weird.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:44 PM
burnettd01
Senior User
burnettd01 has a good reputation on FTE.burnettd01 has a good reputation on FTE.burnettd01 has a good reputation on FTE.
Sickler1
The spring does look strange sitting between the upper housing and the lower control arm. I don't have an answer for you as I am more familiar with the Jag IFS that I installed in my 51 F1.

I am sure there are those familiar with Mustang IFS that will get back to you. I just wanted to bump your question to the top. Good luck.
Dan

Old 05-16-2018, 06:43 AM
F100supercrew
Junior User
F100supercrew is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
spring

Have engine installed, bring bottom a-arms up till they are level and and measure spring length needed do not forget when front sheet metal installed will be more weight--

Old 05-16-2018, 11:17 AM
Sickler1
Senior User
Thanks for infoiand pics info. try compressing the spring more.do you know what the correct spring length should be?

Old 05-16-2018, 12:59 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
jrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to behold
Mustang II with small block you need 700 lb springs. I donít think they make 700 lb original springs. I went with Viking coilovers. $1 per pound

Old 05-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Sickler1
Senior User
Originally Posted by jrockdiddy View Post
Mustang II with small block you need 700 lb springs. I donít think they make 700 lb original springs. I went with Viking coilovers. $1 per pound

My springs are rated for 500lbs. Haven't seen where I need 700lb springs.also price of your coilovers...$1 a lb per side or all together?

Old 05-16-2018, 06:11 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
jrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to behold
Actually $500 for a pair. https://www.fabquest.com/viking-perf...shock-kit.html

i called a couple companies and asked what spring rate they used for a total ifs kit. The consensus was around 600-700 depending on your motor

Old 05-16-2018, 06:54 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
My Heidt's superide ll came with 500 lb coil over springs..

Old 05-16-2018, 08:03 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
Guess Iím wrong. How about build the truck with steel tubing mock up shocks that keep lower control arm at ride height, then when front clip is completely assembled try shocks??

Old 05-16-2018, 08:03 PM
Gicknordon
Posting Guru
Gicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to behold
I used 375 lb springs with my big block, and they are a little stiff. Are you sure they werent quoting the rates for coilovers?

Old 05-17-2018, 07:40 AM
Justboy
Senior User
Justboy has a very good reputation on FTE.Justboy has a very good reputation on FTE.Justboy has a very good reputation on FTE.
It can vary a bit depending on the angle of the spring. Vertical would need a higher spring rate. You can roughly work it out. Assuming you have a travel of around 4.0 inches and you want it to compress around 1.5 inches + 1 inch preload. Weight on front wheels is around 2000 lb say or 1000 lb per side. 1000 / 2.75 = 400 lb/in spring. If angle of spring = 15 deg, then factor it down by Cos (15) therefore 400 x 0.966 = 386 lb spring (approx). If you have an adjustable spring seat you can play around with the preload to get the right height Just be sure you get the best possible estimate of weight on the front wheels.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:47 PM
Sickler1
Senior User
So did a bunch of measuring and came up with the spring perches need to be moved outward bout 1/2" on each side

Old 05-20-2018, 03:10 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
How did you come up with that, this units are engineered for the application..

Old 05-20-2018, 03:23 PM
Sickler1
Senior User
Originally Posted by 56panelford View Post
How did you come up with that, this units are engineered for the application..
The directions say that the middle of the T-bolt hole should 32.75" away from the other T-bolt hole.mime almost an inch under that.instructions also to shim the spring perches to accomplish this measurement

Old 05-20-2018, 03:31 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
Okay, surprised you'd have to add material. Yours is a different set up than what I have

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spring Problem.Mustang II ifs

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.