2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Fox 2.0 or Rancho 9000?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 11:27 AM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rancho Suspension
This is a SECONDARY weld. It will hold.
Not sure what you mean by secondary weld. There is not another primary weld as these two welds are the only thing that attaches the mounting ring to the shock body. I should have taken pictures before I mounted them. The welds were not the entire length of the contact area and not filled in correctly (thin string bead). The weld heat (amperage) was to low and the welder moved to fast during welding.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:30 AM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

There is a weld UNDER that one

RS9000?XL Shock Absorbers - Rancho® Performance Suspension & Shocks
Double-welded loopsAdded strength and durability
6575]Not sure what you mean by secondary weld. There is not another primary weld as these two welds are the only thing that attaches the mounting ring to the shock body. I should have taken pictures before I mounted them. The welds were not the entire length of the contact area and not filled in correctly (thin string bead). The weld heat (amperage) was to low and the welder moved to fast during welding.[/QUOTE]

Old 06-20-2018, 11:36 AM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
There is a weld UNDER that one

RS9000?XL Shock Absorbers - Rancho® Performance Suspension & Shocks
Double-welded loopsAdded strength and durability

Great, sounds good. However, the link you provided does not show the weld "under" nor does the wording "double-welded" prove anything as there are two (double) welds visible on the exterior. Hate to be a PITA, but do you have a picture of the construction that shows the weld you are referring too?

Old 06-20-2018, 11:41 AM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
The link was provided to let you know this is what we do.
I do not have a pic of the first weld, sorry.
But as you can see from the pic above and the story the guy told us, the double welded loop holds.
I will run out and look under my vehicles and see if I one is visible.

No luck, I would have to remove the shock
And have an e-mail in, hopefully someone can get me a pic.

Originally Posted by toymaster
Great, sounds good. However, the link you provided does not show the weld "under" nor does the wording "double-welded" prove anything as there are two (double) welds visible on the exterior. Hate to be a PITA, but do you have a picture of the construction that shows the weld you are referring too?

Old 06-20-2018, 11:47 AM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
^^^^ Can you do me a favor, work related, of course. I have the rancho steering stablizer kit RS97488 and want to replace just the stabilizer, what is the part # just for the shock/stabilizer used in this kit?

Old 06-20-2018, 11:52 AM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Loos like
RS5406 is the stabilizer
RS5542 is the bracket

Originally Posted by toymaster
^^^^ Can you do me a favor, work related, of course. I have the rancho steering stablizer kit RS97488 and want to replace just the stabilizer, what is the part # just for the shock/stabilizer used in this kit?

Old 06-20-2018, 12:42 PM
felix4
Senior User

On a 17 the stabilizer should work, on a 18 from what I have heard we are working on a new one, different mounting point.
Looks like it would mount fine but looks way too long.

Last edited by felix4; 06-20-2018 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Photo
Old 06-20-2018, 12:49 PM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
What year by chance?

Originally Posted by felix4

Looks like it would mount fine but looks way too long.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:31 PM
felix4
Senior User
What year by chance?
2017. Guess I'll be returning this one and looking for another brand unless I'm not looking at this correctly.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:45 PM
355spider
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have FOX on the rear of mine and they ride very nice. I just got ICON for the rear and they are a really nice shock. Even nicen than FOX. Adjustable Rancho shocks nearly always leak. They're cheap shocks anyway.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:20 AM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
News to the 10's of thousands that don't leak.

Originally Posted by 355spider
I have FOX on the rear of mine and they ride very nice. I just got ICON for the rear and they are a really nice shock. Even nicen than FOX. Adjustable Rancho shocks nearly always leak. They're cheap shocks anyway.
I would return it. We are readdressing the single setup now.

2017. Guess I'll be returning this one and looking for another brand unless I'm not looking at this correctly.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:08 PM
felix4
Senior User
Yeah, I am returning it. Of course I have to pay to ship it back. Please recommend that the Rancho website is updated so that more people don't buy the wrong product and end up losing money.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:36 PM
felix4
Senior User
Yeah, I am returning it. Of course I have to pay to ship it back. Please recommend that the Rancho website is updated so that more people don't buy the wrong product and end up losing money.
So a guy on the org is using a 7415 on his '17 dually. I said screw it and installed it today. It fits, with no issues as of yet. The paper included with it shows the torque specs for the two nuts on the "spindle" end of the stabilizer but fails to list the torque spec for the other end.

In addition I got my 9000 xl's installed today as well. No issues replacing the rear shocks except both front and rear shocks are a lot more narrow where they bolt up. Fronts were a bit more difficult, especially the passenger side. Not sure what was up with the old shock on the passenger side, I got the nut loosened but then it just wouldn't come off. After trying several things, taking breaks, going back to it, the threaded rod of the shock actually snapped off allowing me to remove the shock. I set the front at 6 and rear at 4. Much, much better ride! I am very pleased with them. I also had to go pick up our new Polaris RZR so hooked up the trailer and towed it home. I'm impressed. Shocks and stabilizer are great!

Old 07-01-2018, 10:23 AM
hobbie1
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbie1
Could someone list the part #'s and where you bought them for a stock F 250 Fox shocks front and rear?

I've been using the #'s from the Fox site and cannot seem to find them

Front - 985-24-154
Rear - 985-24-151
Update for everyone looking for the new Fox shocks for the 2017/2018

Front - 985-24-154
Rear - 985-24-151

CJC Offroad just got them in. Mine will arrive Tuesday and planning to install Wednesday morning.

Looks straight forward - hope I don't need to remove the front tires..... Tips anyone?

CJC had a good price on them.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:22 PM
duckduke
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbie1

Looks straight forward - hope I don't need to remove the front tires..... Tips anyone?
I just changed all 4 yesterday. I went with RS5000X on all 4.

No tires removed. No jack or anything. Simple as getting the correct socket and open end wench for the front. I used a 21mm to remove stock front upper nut. New hardware included a 19mm (3/4") upper nut.
I pulled my Rancho branded FX4 shocks off. I liked the larger diameter stock bushings etc. in comparison to the hardware/bushings that came with the RS5000X's. Plus, one of my hardware kits was missing a bushing. So......... I decided to try and reuse the stock hardware/bushings on the new shocks........ WRONG. The are both 12M thread, but a different pitch. Fought that for a bit before I figured out the problem. The stock nut and attached bushing would not work. I went back to O'Reilly's and got another hardware/bushing kit. All is fine. The tip......... use your new hardware and check to make sure everything is there before you grab a wrench.

P.S. - I am at 25,000+ miles on the stock FX4 shocks. I've read so much here about how horrible the stock FX4 Rancho "branded" shocks are. Many reports here talk about them leaking and lack of compression strength at <1,000 miles, etc. I am certainly not disputing any of those reports. But......... none of mine had any sign of a leak and they all had some power left in them. They were a long way from limp. Granted not as stout as the new ones I put on, but they were not horrible at all.

Quick Reply: Fox 2.0 or Rancho 9000?