2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Fox 2.0 or Rancho 9000?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 05:09 PM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
RS999042 (front)
RS999047A (rear)
Stock height

Originally Posted by orion1968
What is the correct part number for the 9000XL fronts?

Old 05-30-2018, 05:23 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rancho Suspension

Save that receipt.

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY (limited to qualifying Rancho® products only)*
Tenneco warrants qualifying Rancho® products against defects in materials or workmanship (except finish) when used under normal operating conditions for as long as the products are installed on, and the original purchaser owns, the original vehicle on which they were installed.
You ain't kidding. I bought mine just a few years ago and they are worn slap out. I knew they had a lifetime warranty on them, so I thought no problem but I'll be damn if I can find that receipt. Well, it looks like after 18 years and 230,000 miles I have to spend $400 on a new set, cheap *** crap!!! (a little sarcasm there)

Old 05-30-2018, 05:26 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
RS999042 (front)
RS999047A (rear)
Stock height
two questions:

1) assuming these part #'s are the same for a F350 PSD?

2) I'll likely be leveling by changing out the rear blocks with shorter ones which most forum members are saying gives about a 1.5" drop of the rear body. Will these still work?

Thanks

David

Old 05-30-2018, 05:30 PM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
1) Correct
2) I haven't heard about "leveling" the rear, just the front. So I can not 100% say "sure" on 47A still working honestly. If stock is working I can only assume these will too...

Originally Posted by davidpacificnw
two questions:

1) assuming these part #'s are the same for a F350 PSD?

2) I'll likely be leveling by changing out the rear blocks with shorter ones which most forum members are saying gives about a 1.5" drop of the rear body. Will these still work?

Thanks

David

Old 05-30-2018, 09:37 PM
surlynkid
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the Fox. Rancho are junk.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:27 PM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by surlynkid
Get the Fox. Rancho are junk.
while you may think that is helpful to the discussion, you’ve offered nothing of substance. Is this based on your personal experience with 9000XLs and Fox shocks, or are you regurgitating what you’ve read on the internet? As much as I hate Rancho for selling out to ford and allowing them to sell crappy shocks branded “Rancho”, it doesn’t change what the 9000XL is. Rancho has a bad name and it’s all because of those choice to license their name for FX4 junk. Now they pay the price on message boards. But... I’ve never known anyone to use Fox, Bilstein, or (real) Rancho shocks and say any of them are junk.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:49 PM
Larrymac52
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyE

while you may think that is helpful to the discussion, you’ve offered nothing of substance. Is this based on your personal experience with 9000XLs and Fox shocks, or are you regurgitating what you’ve read on the internet? As much as I hate Rancho for selling out to ford and allowing them to sell crappy shocks branded “Rancho”, it doesn’t change what the 9000XL is. Rancho has a bad name and it’s all because of those choice to license their name for FX4 junk. Now they pay the price on message boards. But... I’ve never known anyone to use Fox, Bilstein, or (real) Rancho shocks and say any of them are junk.
good post. There was a Rancho 9000 and then there was the 9000xl. They 9000 xl’s made a world of difference to the quality of my ride in my F350 when it was unloaded. I‘m not an off road guy but I like the ease in adjusting the shocks to suit heavy load or no load to make for a far more comfortable ride in my truck. Because of that, I would not label my 9000xl’s on my truck as junk.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:16 AM
surlynkid
Freshman User

Yes I have. I have two rock crawlers with high end dampers. I had a 2005 Cummins 4x4 lifted and a new SD. I have had them all plus Bilstein. I’ll go even further. I race cars and have MCS 2 way adjustable non-remote reservoir on an M3 and JRZ RS Pro 2 way adjustable with remote reservoir on a GT3. I know just a little bit about dampers.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:28 AM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts

Yes I have. I have two rock crawlers with high end dampers. I had a 2005 Cummins 4x4 lifted and a new SD. I have had them all plus Bilstein. I’ll go even further. I race cars and have MCS 2 way adjustable non-remote reservoir on an M3 and JRZ RS Pro 2 way adjustable with remote reservoir on a GT3. I know just a little bit about dampers.
Ok so what makes the Rancho 9000XL junk in your opinion?

Old 05-31-2018, 06:59 AM
surlynkid
Freshman User
Ok so what makes the Rancho 9000XL junk in your opinion?
They fail much earlier than the other top brands. Warranty aside, I don’t have time to mess around with swapping them when they fail prematurely. The high speed compression is not as good, and the rebound is not as good. A single adjustable damper has to valve for some middle of the road compression and rebound. Rancho just didn’t pick that spot as well as others. If I hit a speed bump it felt like I needed dental work. Most folks can get low speed compression right, but not high speed. Most ignore rebound because they don’t think the consumer will notice. Rancho fits into that category. For the same money, there are other dampers that address these two points much better.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:08 AM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Wink

To clarify the RS9000XL **** adjusts for rebound and dampening.
These shocks will benefit 99.9% of the users out there.
Not too many folks are taking their $60K truck prerunning.

They fail much earlier than the other top brands. Warranty aside, I don’t have time to mess around with swapping them when they fail prematurely. The high speed compression is not as good, and the rebound is not as good. A single adjustable damper has to valve for some middle of the road compression and rebound. Rancho just didn’t pick that spot as well as others. If I hit a speed bump it felt like I needed dental work. Most folks can get low speed compression right, but not high speed. Most ignore rebound because they don’t think the consumer will notice. Rancho fits into that category. For the same money, there are other dampers that address these two points much better.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:14 AM
surlynkid
Freshman User
To clarify the RS9000XL **** adjusts for rebound and dampening.
These shocks will benefit 99.9% of the users out there.
Not too many folks are taking their $60K truck prerunning.
That's not a 2-way damper. Rancho is using one **** to adjust compression and rebound simultaneously like a Koni. Compression and rebound clicks have to be adjusted separately to be considered a 2-way damper. They are doing completely different things. Just because I want more rebound, does not mean I want more compression. For those same 99.9%, they would be better off with Bilstein 5100s. They are all just driving down the highway. The better bang for the buck is to replace them more often. Most people would not know a properly dampered vehicle regardless. That is why they keep driving on dampers well past their life expectancy. I get my JRZ rebuilt every 2 race seasons and throw away my Spec Miata Bilsteins after 2 race seasons. People drive dampers until the seals leak thus defeating the purpose of high end dampers.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:18 AM
orion1968
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I like being able to adjust in the 9000XL's for when I am towing. Makes a huge difference in ride quality over stock unloaded and and even bigger difference loaded.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:30 AM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
Talking

Being able to adjust the **** and get the ride you want is way better than not being able to with a non adjustable shock. Be it with one **** or two.
And comparing race cars and rock crawlers to a truck. Different animals, wouldn't you say? I rarely see trucks racing around the track and I have never seen a new truck racing ULTRA4.
Most shock manufacturers say about 50,000 miles is the time to change shocks. So every few years.

That's not a 2-way damper. Rancho is using one **** to adjust compression and rebound simultaneously like a Koni. Compression and rebound clicks have to be adjusted separately to be considered a 2-way damper. They are doing completely different things. Just because I want more rebound, does not mean I want more compression. For those same 99.9%, they would be better off with Bilstein 5100s. They are all just driving down the highway. The better bang for the buck is to replace them more often. Most people would not know a properly dampered vehicle regardless. That is why they keep driving on dampers well past their life expectancy. I get my JRZ rebuilt every 2 race seasons and throw away my Spec Miata Bilsteins after 2 race seasons. People drive dampers until the seals leak thus defeating the purpose of high end dampers.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:30 AM
Rancho Suspension
Former Vendor
So true, world of difference.

Originally Posted by orion1968
Well I like being able to adjust in the 9000XL's for when I am towing. Makes a huge difference in ride quality over stock unloaded and and even bigger difference loaded.

Quick Reply: Fox 2.0 or Rancho 9000?