Modular V10 (6.8l)  

2005 3v v10 in 1965 Mustang Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 06:54 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangrehab
I own the car. The MAF is hidden behind the elbow. The CAI is two part. The exterior basically is form. The interior is 80mm with sweeping 90. All custom built by me. Functionless...... I wish you would have seen my face when I picked it up yesterday. Crazy power. 1st 2nd 3rd didn't matter it leaves rubber any time and fun to drive. If you have any questions I can answer. I spent 8 years building this car and the guys at #5startuning got it running like it's supposed to.
Jason
What's your exhaust system comprised of? That is by far the best sounding 6.8L V10 I've heard.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:09 PM
redavis460
5th Wheeling
Sounds like the cams are non-stock; if so, do you mind revealing your cam grinder?

Old 05-19-2018, 10:30 PM
Mustangrehab
New User
Originally Posted by maticuno
What's your exhaust system comprised of? That is by far the best sounding 6.8L V10 I've heard.
Thanks.....
I built the headers and exhaust myself. The headers have 1.625 tubes with the exhaust is 2.5in with H-pipe and 40 series flowmasters. I know x pipes are supposed to be better but an H always sounds better to me.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:32 PM
Mustangrehab
New User
Originally Posted by redavis460
Sounds like the cams are non-stock; if so, do you mind revealing your cam grinder?
They are stock. I looked into getting new cams but the price was just too much at the time. Comp Cams said they could do it but 1500 bucks was a little much.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:34 PM
Mustangrehab
New User
Originally Posted by Diamnd1
Did that thing wind up quick or what??
It is so fun to drive. It pulls the whole time. It is gonna get me in trouble.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:40 PM
Mustangrehab
New User
Originally Posted by billybobofkf
I've been a Mustang guy for 34 years. I bought my 1st Mustang when I was 19, another Mustang sometime after wrecking the 1st one, and have owned my current mustang for 23 years. I still wait at the mailbox for my Mustang Monthly magazine every month. I've been driving V10 pickups for about 5 years now. You combined two of my favorite machines. The V10 Mustang is an idea that never even occurred to me! What an adventure! I've never seen another one like it. Great job and awesome ingenuity! Love it!!! Thank you for sharing.
Thanks for compliment. I dreamed this up back in late 2005. I bought the car and engine but then life happened. Flash forward to 2010 I finally got started on the build. I has been a fun and challenging to say the least.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:43 PM
Mustangrehab
New User
Originally Posted by billybobofkf
I've been a Mustang guy for 34 years. I bought my 1st Mustang when I was 19, another Mustang sometime after wrecking the 1st one, and have owned my current mustang for 23 years. I still wait at the mailbox for my Mustang Monthly magazine every month. I've been driving V10 pickups for about 5 years now. You combined two of my favorite machines. The V10 Mustang is an idea that never even occurred to me! What an adventure! I've never seen another one like it. Great job and awesome ingenuity! Love it!!! Thank you for sharing.
Thanks for compliment. I dreamed this up back in late 2005. I bought the car and engine but then life happened. Flash forward to 2010 I finally got started on the build. It has been fun and challenging to say the least.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:09 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Please disregard my previous posts; they werent meant to troll. Especially after the replies proving me wrong

but I have to ask. What’s the downside/trade off? Because putting a 3valve V10 in a 60’s mustang is like a 8lb human exiting a vagina: sure it’s the greatest thing in the world, but there must be drawbacks.
reduced steering range/turning radius?
Exhaust pipes dragging on the ground?
oil pan scrapes the ground?
Engine mounts haphazardly connected to a nonstructural area?

theres gotta be something(s)

again; no negativity intended. Very cool project.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:58 AM
Mustangrehab
New User
Originally Posted by Im50fast
Please disregard my previous posts; they werent meant to troll. Especially after the replies proving me wrong

but I have to ask. What’s the downside/trade off? Because putting a 3valve V10 in a 60’s mustang is like a 8lb human exiting a vagina: sure it’s the greatest thing in the world, but there must be drawbacks.
reduced steering range/turning radius?
Exhaust pipes dragging on the ground?
oil pan scrapes the ground?
Engine mounts haphazardly connected to a nonstructural area?

theres gotta be something(s)

again; no negativity intended. Very cool project.
To say installing the engine was a breeze....I would be telling a story. Nothing can be bought off the shelf. Everything took planning and lots and lots of assemby and disassembly. There was definately days I second guessed the idea but the challenge is what I thrived on. Lots of people told me it would not fit and it is a waste of my time. To address some of your thoughts/concerns. The exhaust does not sit any lower than the crossmember. Actually when I built the headers I designed them to be installed on the engine before the engine is installed in the car. The turning radius is not hurt. I installed the mustang II suspension and I can actually hit the steering lock. The front wheels are 17x7 with custom offset so the wheels are as close to the fender lip as possible. The oil pan took three tries to get right. It sits at the same elevation as the crossmember. The motor mounts are connected to the crossmember which is fully welded to a full length sub frame that connects to the rear torque boxes. The weight....well yes some heavier but not as much as you think. Composit intake, aluminum heads, magnesium valve covers all reduce the weight. Coupled to the aluminum Tremec it is no more than 200lbs heavier than the 289/C4 automatic it had stock. Would I do it again?....Probably so. It is fun to see everyone's reactions to it.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:13 PM
Mustangrehab
New User
3valve V10

If anyone needs a nice set of exhaust manifolds for a 3V V10 or the oil cooler set up let me know. The engine had less than 10k miles when I purchased it. Did not use the manifolds or cooler.

Jason

Old 05-24-2018, 01:22 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangrehab
If anyone needs a nice set of exhaust manifolds for a 3V V10 or the oil cooler set up let me know. The engine had less than 10k miles when I purchased it. Did not use the manifolds or cooler.

Jason
Take any discussion of that to PMs, please

Old 05-25-2018, 07:05 AM
Sancho
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did the tremec come with a bellhousing, or did you have to fabricate one?

Old 05-25-2018, 10:06 AM
Mustangrehab
New User
Originally Posted by Sancho
Did the tremec come with a bellhousing, or did you have to fabricate one?
I used a Tremec 3650 transmission, flywheel and clutch/pressure plate out of a 2003 Mach1 Mustang. It bolted right up.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:57 PM
no_dice6
Freshman User
Would you mind sharing what engine mods that you have to make that kind of power? All I have seen listed so far is custom headers and a tune. Is there more than that?

Old 06-18-2018, 06:29 AM
Mustangrehab
New User
The engine is stock. The cold air intake is a custom build and 5Star calibrated the MAF to it. The exhaust is 2.5" with H-Pipe and 40 series Flowmaster exhaust. The car really responded to the changes they made in the computer. It runs great and has all kinds of power.
Take Care,

Quick Reply: 2005 3v v10 in 1965 Mustang Fastback