Sponsored by: DP Tuner

The Unfortunate Happened

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 12:35 PM
Mazookie
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Unfortunate Happened

Well after almost 6 years, 108,000 miles and plenty of memories the unfortunate happened. Thankfully everyone involved was okay. Initial estimates for the repair is $8,400 and have a feeling the insurance company isn't going to pay up that amount......

Waiting to hear back the final say and go from there. Have a good day everyone!

-Kyle

Old 05-03-2018, 12:38 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
If it's only the bed you should be OK and it would be great if the cap escaped unscathed. Don't let them push you around and accept their first offer, you can dicker with them on its value.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:47 PM
Mazookie
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
If it's only the bed you should be OK and it would be great if the cap escaped unscathed. Don't let them push you around and accept their first offer, you can dicker with them on its value.
From what I can tell it's just the bed with minor damage done to the cap. Thank you for the advice.... if they end up totaling her I will "buy it back" from salvage or however that works. First time going thru this so all new to me.

-Kyle

Old 05-03-2018, 12:58 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Should be able to get a complete bed, lights, tailgate, bumper etc for 1500-3000

Old 05-03-2018, 01:20 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't comment on the damage estimate but looks very fixable. Walleye Hunter is right ... you can "negotiate" with the insurance company. I kept possession of one vehicle (no change to title) and fixed it right as rain and also had money left over in my pocket. The second time was a negotiations over the value of a true write-off. I made my case and received an extra 30% for hanging in there. Since it looks like only bits and pieces to remove and replace, I'd fight for it if the rest of the truck is worth it..

Old 05-03-2018, 01:20 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd let insurance total that badboy out and start trolling craigslist for a new bed. Or, flatbed. If the frame isn't bent that is an easy fix. If it is bent, as long as its behind the axle, I would still drive it. You'd very likely come out ahead +$$.

A lot of companies will do an "owner retainage" total loss valuation, this shouldn't involve a salvage title. My other Ducati was a "total loss" last year at $10k. Rather than give the bike up for $10k, I kept it and they cut me a check for $6800 instead. No salvage title, fixed it myself for $800 (still had some scratches here and there). I definitely came out ahead.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:24 PM
Mazookie
Mountain Pass
Brandon,
I would say that is an accurate statement. I did a quick search earlier and that is the price range I was seeing.

Sunuvabug,
That gives me some confidence that this will all work out. I'm not sure the differences between Ontario & Michigan when it comes to a "Salvage" title and keeping it as is. I will stick to my guns and get what I can.

Beeftits,
Thanks for the input. I feel a lot better seeing some common themes going on here.

Thanks fellas!

-Kyle

Old 05-03-2018, 01:34 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure about the titling thing either. I know here in Ontario, they simply said the repair costs were higher than the value of the car. I said OK, give me the money for the car's value and I'll fix the car myself. They did give me a check and did not "salvage" or "brand" the title in any way. In fact, they kept insuring that car for the next 5 years with us after I fixed it. I then sold it to my neighbor and he drove it for another 5 years or so.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:09 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad everyone is ok! I've only dealt with a motorcycle being totaled, and it was a complete total. No help there.

If it was mine I'd be going with beef **** suggestion and replacing the bed with a ranch bed.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:13 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Look at the bright side, now its a perfect time to find a rust free bed.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:46 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Get on the internet and find comparable vehicles with the 7.3, with that low of mileage. Print out the ads as the vehicles might sell before you get to show them.

And keep an open mind. I totaled my 99 in 01 and was trying to buy it back since the damage wasn't that bad I thought. The insurance company offered me so much money that I drove straight over there, handed them the spare keys, and signed the paperwork and took my check to the Ford dealer for my 02. They even let me pull off most of the aftermarket stuff and keep it.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:21 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
Should be able to get a complete bed, lights, tailgate, bumper etc for 1500-3000

tails I can find you for about $30 a pair, bed (you are motlikely looking at replacing the side with panel only as per my truck experience with similar situation) around $500-ish (trying to recall off memory here so pricing may be different)and new bumper at best may be about $500 (again if going ford OEM, after market will be a lot less) total cost may be ball park of $1k....and im not even attempting to do the lok up for parts, im just going off what I know I can generally find parts for.

your results and mileage may vary however.

here is a set of tails that I have ear marked on for my truck for $18 and change

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ford-99...19.m1438.l2649

Old 05-04-2018, 06:03 AM
Mazookie
Mountain Pass
Thank you for all the input fellas. If they deem it a complete loss and give me a check, I plan on keeping her as long as it remains a "clean" title. May put a flat bed or if I find a descent box over the summer, I could do that too. She may turn into a plow truck..... the lady and I have been talking and it is probably time to look at something "newer" or rust free. Could be a blessing in disguise that I got hit.

Side note to Jaime: Initially they were going to do just the side of the box with damage for $500.... after further inspection the whole box needs to be replaced according to the shop.

I'll give an update after I hear from the insurance company, just to put it on the record for anybody searching the threads down the road.

Thank you again guys!

-Kyle

Old 05-04-2018, 01:04 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
How much do you like the truck?
If you choose to buy it back, be sure the title remains clean.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:08 PM
Sheldon Plankton
Senior User
Chin up, this is a golden opportunity. I can take the bed off my truck in about 45 mins. - 1 hr. I've done it several times. I'd kill to have a nice aluminum flatbed with an auxiliary fuel tank, built-in tool boxes, etc.

Last edited by Sheldon Plankton; 05-04-2018 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Edited for spelling.

Quick Reply: The Unfortunate Happened