Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Current CA smog test question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
One of may ex co-workers has a wife like that. She mentioned once that he had a collection of dozens of guns that had to be worth at least a couple of hundred dollars.
LOL, sound like your ex co-worker has been fibbing to his wife how much he's actually spent on said firearms!

Stewart

Old 05-03-2018, 08:45 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Passing depends partly on the person doing it. The visual inspection requires all smog equipment to be intact. Some techs don't care. Many don't know what's supposed to be present so if there's no obvious stuff it might go unnoticed. For 2000 and newer there's no exhaust sniff, they just plug into the OBD2 and all that matters is that there are no faults and no unset monitors. '97-'99 might get a sniffer, don't know.

My friend has a 2000 that he runs a tuner on. Before the test he just sets it back to stock and no issues.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:07 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 816 Likes on 595 Posts
To add a little to the above: no sniffer test ever, opacity instead, and only in certain counties; if you clear any stored codes be sure to complete the "drive cycle" or the resulting P1000 code will fail you; check the underhood sticker as seen below to verify if you need a cat on there. Keep it looking stock aside from intake and exhaust, it will be ok.

Underhood Cat Sticker

Old 05-04-2018, 01:50 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 189 Likes on 131 Posts
Sorry Brian, that bubble got popped along time ago for me as I waited for the floating year to "free" vehicles I had only to have this jackass state make another dumb rule change that benefited no one but those who charge for the smog test.

I wish Santa delivered parts for me but then again it is my birthday and I give the best presents. 😉

Old 05-04-2018, 08:19 AM
Lumpy81
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys--much appreciated. Basically stock makes sense as far as steering clear of hassles. Pre-smog is sounding better and better for the sake of simplicity. It's just hard finding an older truck that still looks good and hasn't been lifted absurdly sicne I am trying to have a more professional appearance for my business. Personally I like trucks that are beat to hell and back cosmetically, but still have miles and miles of heart. Oh well, sounds like another project truck if I can find one with a straight body. Thanks again.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:02 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"LOL, sound like your ex co-worker has been fibbing to his wife how much he's actually spent on said firearms!"

Yes, it is a tit for tat kind of thing with her horses, but he knows what the horses cost.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:00 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Unfortunately my wife knows that turbos and transmissions are more than $200.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:52 AM
268Fords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’ve yet to have a tech go looking under my hood except to make sure the sticker says non catylyst. As long as no codes are present and your not blowing smoke out of your exhaust, you should pass. If you do clear codes, make sure you drive it at least 100 miles to complete the drive cycle. The only time I’ve had an issue since this started, was last year. I didn’t think about it and cleared a code the morning of my smog and threw a p1000 code. My tech is pretty cool, and said come back in a week and he would only charge me half price. So I payed for 1 1/2 smogs but passed. My budddy who was a smog tech for a long time(recently changed careers) told me that techs shouldn’t be snooping around under the hood since are trucks are only required to check for codes,SES light, and an opacity test. If there pulling that crap, find another shop.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts
I smogged my e99 in San Jose a couple weeks ago. The tech was going through a huge manual that had a page for my truck and he was checking EVERYTHING. My truck is 100% back to stock except for a cat back at this point so it wasn't a big deal and it passed easily.

The reason I took it there is last June I brought my newly purchased from N.C. "49 state" New Mexico Mustang there. Despite being a 49 state car, the tech only plugged in the code reader and gave me the certificate. That was a different tech.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:06 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Sorry but I just have to ask...what are the regulations regarding human releases of methane gas in CA?

Old 05-05-2018, 09:24 AM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Sorry but I just have to ask...what are the regulations regarding human releases of methane gas in CA?
Cows first:

California targets cow gas, belching and manure as part of global warming fight

When I lived in Santa Clara County in CA, had to get smog every two years. Full visual verifying all controls in place, check codes (can not be recently reset), gas cap, and dyno sniff test.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:32 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 69 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I dunno but they sure got all pissy when we had our annual celebratory tire fire for Earth Day this year.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 268Fords
. My tech is pretty cool, and said come back in a week and he would only charge me half price. So I payed for 1 1/2 smogs but passed.
Ouch, that was harsh. The couple times that happened to me, the tech told me to go drive for an hour or so and he'd finish the test for me when I got back. No extra charges.

My budddy who was a smog tech for a long time(recently changed careers) told me that techs shouldn’t be snooping around under the hood since are trucks are only required to check for codes,SES light, and an opacity test. If there pulling that crap, find another shop.
Your buddy who used to be a smog tech is the kind of person some users here are saying they hope to get, because your buddy is completely incorrect. Our diesels (just like gassers) have to pass a visual check too, looking for non-CARB parts on the truck.

Stewart

Old 05-05-2018, 03:28 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Smog guy, on hearing my old Chevy C10 idling when I pulled in:

"(long stare) That got a cam in it?"

Me:

"(not missing a beat) Needs one to run, doesn't it?"

Him:

"Please have a seat in the waiting room."

It did pass, barely. With adjustments I paid for. Got it back with the timing severely retarded and way too lean for the cam it "needed" to run...

He was so glad when I got rid of that truck! The rest of my vehicles never needed adjustments to pass.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:53 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by 268Fords
My budddy who was a smog tech for a long time(recently changed careers) told me that techs shouldn’t be snooping around under the hood since are trucks are only required to check for codes,SES light, and an opacity test. If there pulling that crap, find another shop.
Don't bring your truck to San Diego because the visual inspection is a requirement. This time the tech took at least 10 minutes under the hood with a flashlight.

Quick Reply: Current CA smog test question.