Canadian National Chapter British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan/Manitoba,Ontario and Nova Scotia

CROSS CANADA TRIP – BC to Ontario – 1968 Ford F100 300CID (New to me)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 05:17 PM
David+Don
FTE Content Contributor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
COLD START + WALK AROUND

Hey guys, forgot to post this but heres a little video of a cold start in Calgary on my way to see Perry.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:42 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts

This is a friend of mine's 32 in Dryden, I was there and expecting to see you...

Old 05-19-2018, 10:43 PM
David+Don
FTE Content Contributor
Originally Posted by 56panelford

This is a friend of mine's 32 in Dryden, I was there and expecting to see you...

Oh man what a bummer ! After we saw this truck we walked across the street to where a guy has a bunch of dent sides hanging out and a really cool Bronco. I wish we had run into you...

Old 05-19-2018, 11:16 PM
David+Don
FTE Content Contributor
Originally Posted by 56panelford

Dang right after I got that pic we walked across the street and looked a a bunch of old Fords a guy had on a lot. He was really nice, had a bunch of dent sides and a sweet old Bronco!

Old 05-20-2018, 06:26 AM
rob8210
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Fellas. Have you made it home? What part of Toronto are you in? I am in Brighton , to the east a bit. I have a 1979 f250 4x4, but I would love to get my hands on something older. I may have some parts that you could use on that old girl. I know I have 2 brand new carburetors. I would like to catch up to you fellas and check that old girl out. I have had 2- 300 sixes in the past, and put well over 400k on each. The best thing to remember with the 300 is she’s no race car!

Old 05-20-2018, 08:39 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
My brother in law lives in Brighton...lol

Old 05-20-2018, 08:42 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by David+Don
Oh man what a bummer ! After we saw this truck we walked across the street to where a guy has a bunch of dent sides hanging out and a really cool Bronco. I wish we had run into you...
You must have went through town earlier than we got there, we were looking for you driving through, we were as easy to see as you were in our 56 pickup. We asked asked inside the store if they had seen you go by at all but said no..

Old 05-21-2018, 01:49 PM
RIPbiker13
Senior User
This is really cool. I just joined the site and as I'm thumbing through, I find this. I have always been a fan of, and done, long distance motorcycle rides. The stories you get are unlike traveling the same stretch in a modern vehicle. I imagine doing it in an old truck would be similar. Can't wait to see the video when it goes up, and in the mean time, I'll be reading this intently. Thank you for sharing this.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:23 PM
David+Don
FTE Content Contributor
So I’m home with the truck and I was referred to a
shop in the east end of Toronto, old school guys who worked on my friends Datsun 240z. They are going to cut and weld the rotten pannels. I’m going to paint the bottom half DIY style in recreational white probably with a roller. Farm style no clear coat, probably a few coats of flor wax on the finished product. Can’t wait to get at it.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:25 PM
David+Don
FTE Content Contributor
Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
This is really cool. I just joined the site and as I'm thumbing through, I find this. I have always been a fan of, and done, long distance motorcycle rides. The stories you get are unlike traveling the same stretch in a modern vehicle. I imagine doing it in an old truck would be similar. Can't wait to see the video when it goes up, and in the mean time, I'll be reading this intently. Thank you for sharing this.

Oh man if you ever feel like hitting Toronto come up here. Long trips are super fun. When I was younger I bought a $300 motorcycle in Vietnam and rode south to north. Old stuff rules and if you have the urge to do it, do it. Thanks for reading along.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:32 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Me no speak that language I used to be a Torontonian before the year 1979, born and raised in Mimico...lol

Old 06-05-2018, 12:11 AM
David+Don
FTE Content Contributor
Got a good deal on getting the welding done on the doors and fenders, am old hand in the west end of toronto who loved the truck. And I am in the process of painting up and installing the tailgate LMC sent me. It’s almost there. Gonna do a roller
job on the bottom white to make it match then we are all done if I can fit this tail gate. Rattle can primer seen here in this picture. Primer on the welds from the shop. One day I’ll learn to weld.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:41 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Make sure that you have 1 or 2 rattle cans of matching white paint for blending in the areas you can't roller such as the convex curves. Thin out the roller paint about 10 to 15% with the appropriate thinner, there's 2 types of thinner and the wrong one will turn your paint into a blob. Use a fine finish roller and by 2 good ones not the cheap ones. You may still get lint but tweezers, small needle nose pliers or really small scissors will pick it off the truck. Use 2 or 3 light coats and try to not paint on a hot sunny day as the sun will dry the paint to fast. A hot cloudy day is best as you can do one side then to other and keep repeating until its done. Remember to do your rattle can touch ups before changing sides. Light coats equals no runs. Good luck and don't be afraid to paint it as its actually quite easy to do. Let the paint harden for a day or 2 before waxing. The prairies are hot and dry but Ontario is humid so that may slow down your drying time which helps.

You don't want to do this with dark colored paint unless you're indoors as the sun will dry the paint to fast and the paint will blister when you recoat it.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:37 PM
David+Don
FTE Content Contributor
Thanks Perry! Ill post some pictures later. I am doing the tailgate 2 tone this evening so I'm pretty excited. Thanks for the tips its much appreciated!

Old 06-05-2018, 01:00 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
You might want to hold off on the second color on the tailgate as tremclad/ rustoleum takes about 2 days to harden up enough to tape over without leaving marks or pealing the paint. Even blue tape over sticks to new paint. I did my truck 2 years ago in April outside thanks to 2 chinooks but had to redo a door due to tape sticking . Drove some neighbors nuts as I did the paint job on the street in front of my house , some neighbors were amazed that I had the ***** to do it. Lol

Quick Reply: CROSS CANADA TRIP – BC to Ontario – 1968 Ford F100 300CID (New to me)