6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Stainless Works new headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 01:20 PM
Cortrox93
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stainless Works new headers

Hey guys I have a 2012 F350 SRW 4x4 love the truck just reenlisted so I'm getting a decent bonus and been looking to mod it a bit, been saving and got enough for exhaust, CAI, and tune, just saw stainless works came out with new headers just seeing if any of you guys have thrown them on yet and taken them for a run, and if so, for the 5-star tuner have they started developing tunes to incorporate the headers into the tune.
P.S. I love this damn truck, best one I ever owned,

Old 04-29-2018, 02:05 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
IMO.... save your money.. won't gain much.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:07 PM
Cortrox93
New User
Not looking to build a hot rod, but I just like improving on my truck even if it's better sound or aesthetics but if there's absolutely no benefit I'll probably pass then

Old 04-29-2018, 06:58 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Those are a really nice set of full length headers that I could see giving a little bump in power. They obviously do something from the sound clips. The 6.2 sounds good to begin with, but with the stainless works headers and exhaust, it sounds pure wicked.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:20 PM
TaterNuts
Freshman User
I gotta say I think you are wasting money. It is a 400HP engine that is made to haul. If it can't keep up with your needs then you should swap to the diesel. The power and economy of this gas engine is previously unheard of... This engine started model year 2011, compare it to anything a decade older. 5.4L V8 at 260/350. I can say for certain my mileage was no where close to as good. Best I ever saw was in my 4 door F150 at around 21MPG. My F250s, even the single cab never saw anything close to that. My buddy says his 08 are a bit lower than mine and weighs a bunch less.
All the mods I have seen are pricey and aren't giving you any power to speak of. I added exhaust to mine and after doing research wish I would have saved the money on that too.
I don't want to sound like an ******* here, but if you are having to save up and this is a large bonus it sounds like $1000 - 3000 is a lot of money to you. I don't see a dyno sheet on their website (not surprising), but $2000 for making it sound cooler seems a huge waste. I mean they say it increases power, but how much and where at? Ford is in a big shoot out with the other truck manufacturers, you are talking about less than $100 worth of metal for that whole setup. Don't you think if Ford could get some crazy numbers and still meet EPA standards (remember MPG isn't required) for under $100 they'd just go ahead and do it themselves? They could sell it as a factory add-on and make a killing.
Your money man, but you asked.

The biggest issue I have when people do mods to vehicles is there is never a baseline. No dyno, no 1/4 mile, no GPro (for whatever good they are). You get seat of the pants reactions and honestly after you spend the money you are biased.

It did sound good though.

EDIT
Probably not super important to you now, but I am never willing to pay extra for "upgrades" the owner did. In some cases it actually detracts me from buying. A simple thing like exhaust maybe makes me think you were racing it around a lot. $3000 worth of headers, exhaust and "CAI" even more so. When people jack a truck up and put big wheels on it then think it should be worth more UGH.

I am not talking about a hot rod/show car/jeep here. I mean daily drivers and work trucks.

Maybe I'm a weird guy though. If you said for $1000 I could add 100WHP to my truck. First question I'd ask would be about MPG. Second would be engine longevity. I want that power, but I need the truck for the real world.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:52 PM
giant futon
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it were me and I had already saved up enough money to cover my rainy day emergency funds...I'd re-gear it for performance then do a muffler delete and leave the resonators on. The 6.2 has already got everything it needs performance-wise on the engine side so gears is the best place to look for better performance. now when i say performance i mean in the towing department. No sense in trying to hot rod these trucks. Plus good set of gears and a muffler delete is something that most who would buy these trucks would want. I'm assuming that you have 3.73's of course, but I'd say that's a safe bet as they aren't that common. Plus, muffler delete is easily reversible and what...? $50? The 6.2 sounds great with a delete and won't annoy your neighbors.

A re-gear will definitively make your truck more capable (read: a real performance mod) if you wanted to use it to work on the side. Heavier trailers with lawn equipment or other stuff wouldn't dip into your gas mileage as much.

Lots of guys who have gone the route you're trying to go and they don't really get that much more out of this motor without REALLY going big. Forced induction is pretty much the only surefire gainer for HP.

Don't waste your money. Also, could put that money into the military Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) and let it sit for a while you think over options and it'll grow. Good luck!

GF

Old 04-30-2018, 04:16 PM
J Standard
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the flip side we all know the exhaust manifolds are going to end up leaking, could just go strit to headers and be done with it...

Stainless works **** is legit!

Old 05-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Mining Guy
Senior User
Legit vs. Wasting your money..

Okay, you are going to get another opinion....
These new engines can be tuned very accurately.
Get the headers and a dyno tune, not a hand held or mail order tune.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:02 PM
TaterNuts
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Mining Guy
Okay, you are going to get another opinion....
These new engines can be tuned very accurately.
Get the headers and a dyno tune, not a hand held or mail order tune.
Come on man, is that really good advice? $3000 for parts. $500+ labor. $500+ tuning. Best case scenario 10HP? 20 max? That's a lot of money for 5% under what I'm guessing would be best case scenario. That is literally a few hundred dollars worth of stainless. Ford is in a huge segment war. If they could do it and get huge numbers they would.

i guess devil's advocate would be they just want to push the more costly diesel, but that doesn't explain why the Raptor doesn't get them.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Cortrox93
New User

Said **** it got drunk and ordered them anyways

Old 05-10-2018, 08:38 PM
TaterNuts
Freshman User
Do you plan to dyno before and after or are you going to armchair it and just tell us it seems faster?

Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 PM
Cortrox93
New User
Honestly I'd love to do the dyno before then after as well as provide pictures and install review with both the headers and the stainless works exhaust to provide some feedback to people so I'll wait till I get all parts and try and work that angle, gotta find a dyno around here in central texas first because I do love seeing results AND feeling results so more to follow gentlemen

Old 05-10-2018, 09:24 PM
TaterNuts
Freshman User
DFW area? Hundreds there. Just make sure to dyno on the same machine. Personally this isn't something I'd even consider unless it gave me MPG. I'm fine on towing power. I'd as soon get a diesel as upgrade this truck. How deep are you into it thus far?

Old 05-10-2018, 09:28 PM
Cortrox93
New User
Nah I'm down in fort hood though I do have family in the DFW area in midlothian, Alvarado and near Arlington so I frequent that area a lot i could try on one of the weekends I go up, deep as in cash wise or progress wise

Old 05-11-2018, 04:35 AM
tibadoe
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tough looking set of headers.

Quick Reply: Stainless Works new headers