2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2018 vs 2016 6.7 Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 08:18 AM
mayberry32
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maximus216
I special ordered my 2018 250 diesel with the push start and will never go back. Very nice. I wish the heavy duties would have the dial shifter like i had in my dodge ram. I miss it. I also miss the front park assist. I can't believe the 250's don't have this. They sit so damn high and i can't see squat when pulling into a parking space. Yes, i can use the 360 camera but its not the same. I also got the extended running boards so i can get into my toolbox.
So, you never worry about the button breaking and having no other way to crank your truck? I just don't understand the technology. You upgrade or replace things to make them more usable and reliable....not to create potential problems on something that has never, ever failed. The key fob with the flip out key is a great tool, and is very small in your pocket. If there were a keyhole as a backup emergency to crank your truck if the button failed, I'd be more receptive to it. I know I sound like I'm 80. I'm only 40 and I love technology. But, creating more things that can break on a truck just seems like a poor idea to me.

Either way, I'm going to end up with the stupid push button start, it appears. I can't find a Lariat Value Package with the sunroof and all my other wants within a 700 mile radius.

And, what is the Snow Plow Package, and why do all the dealers in South Georgia order their trucks with it? There is no snow in Georgia, and no need for a front end attachment. Doesn't that just increase the stiffness of the front springs, and make the ride worse when unloaded?

Old 04-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Yoteman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A snowplow package adds lots of good things. iIRC it adds larger alternator, heavier springs, and better cooling features.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:54 AM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by mayberry32
So, you never worry about the button breaking and having no other way to crank your truck? I just don't understand the technology. You upgrade or replace things to make them more usable and reliable....not to create potential problems on something that has never, ever failed. The key fob with the flip out key is a great tool, and is very small in your pocket. If there were a keyhole as a backup emergency to crank your truck if the button failed, I'd be more receptive to it. I know I sound like I'm 80. I'm only 40 and I love technology. But, creating more things that can break on a truck just seems like a poor idea to me.

Either way, I'm going to end up with the stupid push button start, it appears. I can't find a Lariat Value Package with the sunroof and all my other wants within a 700 mile radius.

And, what is the Snow Plow Package, and why do all the dealers in South Georgia order their trucks with it? There is no snow in Georgia, and no need for a front end attachment. Doesn't that just increase the stiffness of the front springs, and make the ride worse when unloaded?
LOL. I foresee you posting how much you love keyless at some point in the future. I have one car that is key start and another that is push button. No comparison. As for reliability, it's probably the simplest thing in your car. They've been around since forever. I believe they used them all the way back to the 1930s. The push button mechanism is a simple switch for all intents and purposes. The part of starting a car that you'd worry about is the Passive Start and Entry System PASE which most cars have now regardless of push button start.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:10 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,716 Likes on 2,754 Posts
A nice benefit of the push button start is that I no longer have keys or fobs dangling down from the dash making noise at every bump in the road.

Remember the problem GM had with their keyed ignition that failed when there was too much weight on the key?

Old 04-21-2018, 11:18 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Why are we arguing for and against two items that basically use the same idea to send power to the starter to start the truck? One is a simple button and the other is a mechanical device with a bunch of moving parts.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:50 PM
Hydrocarbon302
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong but the key switch in modern vehicles don’t send power directly to the starter anymore. The switch in the colum has a dry contact that when closed sends a signal to a computer to start the truck. You can tell this because if you just bump the switch to the start position and let it go the engine will crank until it starts even though you released the key a 1/2sec prior.

A keyless start button would in theory be more reliable because there’s no moving parts or mechanical contacts.

edit:
come to think of it a dry contact is old school...it’s probably a CANBUS signal. Lol

The keyless button or you old fashioned key says “start truck” to the trucks computer.
that computer talks to a security module and it says “ hey! Key transponder! Are you there?” Your key or fob responds “yea I’m here, I’m legit”.
The security module tells the truck computer it’s ok to engage the starter until the truck starts or until the starter times out.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:36 PM
mayberry32
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon302
Correct me if I’m wrong but the key switch in modern vehicles don’t send power directly to the starter anymore. The switch in the colum has a dry contact that when closed sends a signal to a computer to start the truck. You can tell this because if you just bump the switch to the start position and let it go the engine will crank until it starts even though you released the key a 1/2sec prior.

A keyless start button would in theory be more reliable because there’s no moving parts or mechanical contacts.

edit:
come to think of it a dry contact is old school...it’s probably a CANBUS signal. Lol

The keyless button or you old fashioned key says “start truck” to the trucks computer.
that computer talks to a security module and it says “ hey! Key transponder! Are you there?” Your key or fob responds “yea I’m here, I’m legit”.
The security module tells the truck computer it’s ok to engage the starter until the truck starts or until the starter times out.

Well, right or wrong, I guess you made me feel better about it. The newer keys do have a chip in them, so there has to be a computer involved with that mechanism, too, I guess. So, there is probably very little difference. Sorry for acting like a crotchety old man. I just get sick of simple things being complicated when they don't need to be. Sometimes, a handle is just as good as a button, and it's much simpler to repair if it breaks. These trucks are getting way too complicated.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:48 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Get a Lariat ultimate with the LED lighting and never look back. Don’t forget about all the options like fifth wheel and gooseneck prep, dual alternators, extra HD, 360cameras, Cab high mount camera at least. Whichever year you get really look closely at these options because adding them after the fact while can be done, should be written into your deal. Get the dealer to do it and it’s warranty covered.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:40 PM
mayberry32
Mountain Pass
I have everything I want picked out....except the color. Can't decide between the two tone white platinum, or the Magnetic. I'm thinking white, because my last 3 trucks have been charcoal grey. Never had a white truck before. And the white looks the cleanest and best on the lot with all the pollen on it.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:15 AM
dnoel
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mayberry32
I have everything I want picked out....except the color. Can't decide between the two tone white platinum, or the Magnetic. I'm thinking white, because my last 3 trucks have been charcoal grey. Never had a white truck before. And the white looks the cleanest and best on the lot with all the pollen on it.
My truck is white with magnetic on the bottom. I really like it. Don't have a pic to post but, a search should find you one.
Trying to add a link. Scroll to bottom of this thread to see my truck. I really like the retractable power steps.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-two-tone.html

Last edited by dnoel; 04-29-2018 at 05:20 AM. Reason: add link
Old 04-29-2018, 08:48 AM
mayberry32
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by dnoel
My truck is white with magnetic on the bottom. I really like it. Don't have a pic to post but, a search should find you one.
Trying to add a link. Scroll to bottom of this thread to see my truck. I really like the retractable power steps.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-two-tone.html
Yeah, that two tone is what I want. I don't care if it's the stone gray or the magnetic... I like them both. I found one with the magnetic bottom exactly like I wanted about 30 miles away. Then, I realized it didn't have a sunroof. I want a sunroof in any truck I get...especially with the full panoramic moonroof the new one's have in them.