2018 vs 2016 6.7 Diesel? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2018 vs 2016 6.7 Diesel?

Old 04-19-2018, 09:01 AM
mayberry32
Junior User
mayberry32 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2018 vs 2016 6.7 Diesel?

Looking for opinions from those who tow with Ford F250 Super Duty diesels. I have a 2016 that I absolutely love and it is a pleasure to tow with. However, it has a gremlin in the EGR emissions system and has been in the shop 5 times for a grand total of 50+ days over the past year. It's in the shop again now, going on 4 weeks this time, and they aren't even certain they can fix the problem. They've already replaced warped exhaust valves and now they are replacing both head assemblies, in full, due to the issue. It keeps happening, no matter what they do. It starts with my exhaust filter not cleaning properly, overloading, and then it goes into the high heat "drive until clean" mode. When it does that, it lasts 30-45 minutes and immediately develops a violent shaking and vibration at highway speeds. after. They found out the high heat is warping the exhaust valves and causing some bad engine shaking. This is the 3rd or 4th time trying to repair this one issue. At this point, they are talking about lemon law or just putting me in a new replacement vehicle. I specifically bought the 2016 as a leftover because I really liked the older body style and the steel body versus the new aluminum body. But, over time, the new body has grown on me and I'm liking the way they look. if I get a brand new truck with 18000 less miles, new tires, brakes and 2 model years newer for no cost, I can't really argue about that. So, on to my question:.
For those that have the 2017 or 2018, what are your thoughts on the quality of the truck and the towing capability and stability versus the prior models? The new truck is lighter with the aluminum body, and it's 3 or 4 inches taller, so I worry about stability while pulling my travel trailer. This is my daily driver, and I honestly bought the diesel to pull my 32' camper through the mountains with ease. I also wanted a diesel to last, hoping to drive this thing for years. I love the 250 over the F150 I had before. I just want the problems to go away and my truck to stay out of the shop. I'm trying to decide whether to keep trying to let them repair it, or allow them to replace it with the new body style. No doubt I'd be getting a newer, fancier truck that looks more like an F-150 than a super duty. The new body style is growing on me, but just want to know what those think who have either owned both, or at least own the new version. If you had a choice of keeping your 2016 steel body truck, or going with the new 2018, money aside (because it will cost me nothing, or very little), which would you choose? Thanks in advance for any opinions and feedback.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:06 AM
Yoteman
Senior User
Yoteman has a good reputation on FTE.Yoteman has a good reputation on FTE.
Iíd be insisting on the lemon law and replacing it immediately. And i would think itíd be an easy decision to move to a brand new truck with no extra cost or very little. Thatís free money in your pocket. Personally, I see the aluminum bed as an upgrade unless youíre hauling rocks in a regular basis.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:31 AM
toymaster
Elder User
toymaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, I like the new body style over the previous so, I'd go with the new truck. However, there is a third option you could bring up. Replace the entire motor in your existing truck.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My '17 (F250, 6.7, CCSB, FX4) which I bought in September, has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. Its very nice and has bee flawless. I tow regularly with it (9k lbs 24' car hauler) and it has been nothing short of amazing towing the trailer. I traded an '07 F350 CCLB, 6.0 (2wd), that I put 240K miles on so I know the previous generation trucks too.

The 17+ SuperDutys are better in every way than the previous generation. The ride and handling is better, even with the increase in ride height, even when towing. Quality is improved. Comfort too. Get the new truck and don't look back.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:12 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
I've owned a 2016 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 diesel, a 2016 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 diesel, and a 2017 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 diesel, and also a 2017 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 diesel. All of these vehicles were used to tow my equipment hauler and box trailers pretty extensively.

I really liked all of these Super Duty trucks. No complaints on any of them. I can tell you the 2017 tows every bit as good and likely better than the 2016 trucks. You won't notice the aluminum construction whatsoever, except they won't rust out down the road and the doors shut more solidly than the 2016 trucks. I prefer the front end of the 2016 style and the rear end of the 2017 style. You sit a little lower to the floor in the new truck, but the rear crew cab is much roomier. Personally, I find the seats in the 2016 truck and the driving position to be a little better than the 2017 style trucks...but both are comfortable. Features and equipment and much better in the new trucks, and the ride quality is also a bit better.

Your diesel problem sounds like the commonly discussed "jackerhammering" problem that primarily 2015 model year diesels experienced. Various software updates may have helped but not eliminated the problem. The 2017 engine has updates compared to the 2016 engine, and the 2018 truck has further updates (and slightly more power and torque) than the 2017 engine.

If you could move to a new truck for little or no cost to you, I'd do it.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:25 AM
UGA33
Post Fiend
UGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud of
Go with the new truck. There is a noticeable difference between how my 2012 truck handled towing duties vs how my 2017 handles them. All the upgrades to the chassis/frame really shine when it comes to towing and stability. You will be moving from 440/860 to 450/935 for power figures. Slightly noticeable difference there. They are more torque managed than the older trucks though. The real reason for moving up though is all the new features. Worth the jump to an aluminum truck just for the tech.

Also, do some research on the F-250 vs 350 SRW debate to see if you think you will be upgrading trailers or your towing duties will
change in the future for the heavier. It traps a few people that don't do their research.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:31 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How heavy is the trailer? I'd be going gas, If I went through all of that heart ache.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:12 PM
mayberry32
Junior User
My current travel trailer is 32' long and 8500 lbs. We may be moving up to a similarly sized Fifth Wheel in a couple of years, which will be a little heavier. I went with the diesel because of how well they tow in the mountains, which is where we generally are with our camper, and also because of the supposed longevity of the engines. I absolutely love the truck. I think I just got a dud. I would consider gas if it has as much torque in the mountains of Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee, and if the gas mileage was similar. I get a combined 18-19 in my current F250 Diesel. I assume if I went with the 6.2 gas, my gas mileage would drop substantially, probably around 13 MPG not Towing. But, if this is a common issue and I'm going to have trouble with the next one, too, I might would consider a gas engine.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Buliwyf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The 6.2 isn't ever going to be like the diesel, but it'll be fine with that weight and east coast mountains for sure.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:07 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
LaxPlaya21 has a very good reputation on FTE.LaxPlaya21 has a very good reputation on FTE.LaxPlaya21 has a very good reputation on FTE.LaxPlaya21 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Going from a 2013 F250 Plantinum to a 2017 F350 Platinum I can tell you hands down the 17' is leaps and bounds ahead of the 13' truck. It is a completely different level of truck. And I thought the 13' was an excellent truck btw.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:37 PM
dnoel
Junior User
dnoel is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2016 diesel was lemon law'ed back to Ford due to an issue with what was believed to be in the ABS system. I think I put around 13K miles on it. I did love the truck though. I don't feel I went through near what you did. I now have a 2017 (almost 10K on it) and it's amazing! Ford was decent to deal with on this. I am in CA, if it makes a difference.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:41 PM
tony m 6.7
Senior User
tony m 6.7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2012 SD 6.7 was a great truck, I use this for comparison because it is the same platform as a 2016. I really liked the way it towed, not just power wise but also handling. Then I traded for a 2017. World of difference. Stronger frame, reworked suspension, more power, the list goes on. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing such serious problems, but for the most part there are many more 6.7's that are running just fine and like me have only experienced a few minor problems with them. The little extra height won't hurt your towing stability at all, IMO the frame and suspension improvements makes the towing feel more stable and solid. Just gotta watch some of the automatic car washes and garage doors!!!

Old 04-19-2018, 07:32 PM
mayberry32
Junior User
I went to look at the 2018's this afternoon. They are growing on me. Some really nice features. One question....with a Lariat, what options do I need to choose to NOT have the push button start or the push button tailgate release? I want a real key and a handle to open my tailgate. Are both of those just with the Lariat Ultimate Package?

Old 04-19-2018, 07:48 PM
davidpacificnw
Senior User
davidpacificnw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.davidpacificnw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Yoteman View Post
Iíd be insisting on the lemon law and replacing it immediately. And i would think itíd be an easy decision to move to a brand new truck with no extra cost or very little. Thatís free money in your pocket. Personally, I see the aluminum bed as an upgrade unless youíre hauling rocks in a regular basis.

NO NO NO NO NO> Do not do LL if the dealer is replacing at no cost. LL requires you to pay for miles on your vehicle. If dealer is going to do better than that, let them do it. If not, then do it.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:04 PM
mayberry32
Junior User
Dealer is working to see if he can do better than lemon law for me. If not, I'll proceed with Lemon Law. I'd much prefer not to deal with arbitration and months or trying to figure this out, if possible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 vs 2016 6.7 Diesel?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.