Front down and forward Front Leaf kit - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Front down and forward Front Leaf kit

Old 04-17-2018, 12:58 AM
NewClimber
New User
NewClimber is starting off with a positive reputation.
Front down and forward Front Leaf kit

I am getting my front suspension back together and had a question about which way the spring alignment shim is suppose to go. Does the thick part of the shim go towards the front?

In other words, the axle will be level when the shim is installed? I was told that I needed the correct caster setup which is what has me confused. It is the kit form Mid fifty.

The fact that my axle is moving forward on the spring then adding the shim so the thick part is in the rear just seems like a big addition to tilt the axle back.

Thx for the help.,

Old 04-17-2018, 06:17 AM
Guntown
Craig
Guntown is starting off with a positive reputation.
Craig

Hello, As I was researching for stock axle options on my 50 F I came across the info on Nostalgia Sid's web site. In the Tech articles a pictorial was shown for an drop axle replacemant and it shows the thick side of your shim or block to the rear of the truck and any shims you add will also have the thick part to the rear of the truck. Hope this helps.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:22 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
I get confused on this too. This diagram may help. The thick part should go in the rear. If you have not made any major changes to the axle, springs, frame or tires you may be able to use the same shims. If the truck wanders or the steering wheel doen't return fast enough you may need a thicker shim. Does it say on the shim what degree it is. I hate to guess just from a picture.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:07 PM
Fordfivethree
New User
Fordfivethree is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mid-Fifty catalog states that the thick part of the shim goes to the rear. The Down and Forward kit ships with 4 degree shims as they state this is what most trucks need. I have this kit and many other parts arriving tomorrow. I already purchased their rear short and smooth kit for a 3 1/2" drop in the rear (and flipped the front rear spring hangers)

Old 04-17-2018, 08:29 PM
NewClimber
New User
NewClimber is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thx for the information. Sorry, I looked though all the documentation on-line from Mid-Fifty and didn't see where the shims should be installed with the thick part to the rear. (I guess I might need to get the catalog) Either way, after do much reading and the replies here, that is how I will install them.

These are the 4 deg shims also...

Thx again for the help

Old 04-18-2018, 11:18 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NewClimber View Post
These are the 4 deg shims also...
I don't know how much caster is built into your axle but if you run radial tires I have seen info where up to 8 deg total (axle, shims, etc,) might be requires. 4 should be a good place to start.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:07 PM
artscott61
Elder User
artscott61 has a good reputation on FTE.artscott61 has a good reputation on FTE.
I have the 4 degree shims and thick end to the rear as that will give it the caster you need to have the wheels come back straight after turning. I also put on the series 400 power steering. My steering returns to center a lot easier than it did before but nothing like a newer car or truck. I also had to put a spacer on my left front wheel as putting in the forward springs it moves the fat part of the tire up also and on a sharp left turn the inside of the tire will hit the drag link. Good Luck you will like the set up.