Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric fan conversation questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 01:04 AM
Aj-
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric fan conversation questions

I know it's been discussed a lot about the pros and cons . I was pro mechanical fan before but I'd like to try and electric one for a bit. And if it continuously lets me down I'll just put the mechanicl one back on.
I've got the fan ,all the wiring,and a fan shroud made up. But it don't know what I'm going to do with the thermostat switch. I'm looking for ideas of good spots to put it. I really don't like the idea of putting it in line on the upper rad hose or splicing it in the a heater hose. All the spots on the intake manifold look pretty tight. The only spot I really like is the thermostat housing but there's no holes in there.
Soo.....your thoughts?

Old 04-14-2017, 04:37 AM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They make thermostat housings with threaded ports for this very reason for just about every old V8.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:27 AM
Aj-
Mountain Pass
Do you know where to get them ? I can't find them on summits web sight

Old 04-14-2017, 07:27 AM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
I put my switch in a T-fitting in the heater core line. It works, but I think I need a different, higher temperature switch. The one I'm using now closes the circuit perhaps a bit too soon and then never reaches the shut-off temp to open the circuit and shut the fan off.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:31 AM
Aj-
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti
I put my switch in a T-fitting in the heater core line. It works, but I think I need a different, higher temperature switch. The one I'm using now closes the circuit perhaps a bit too soon and then never reaches the shut-off temp to open the circuit and shut the fan off.
Is it close to the water pump? And did you see any performance or millage gains ?

Old 04-14-2017, 07:53 AM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Aj-
Is it close to the water pump? And did you see any performance or millage gains ?
It's about mid-length of the heater core hose. I forget now if it's the upper or lower hose.

No performance/efficiency changes noted, not that I expected any. I mostly did it just to make the front-end of the engine easier to work on.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:05 AM
Aj-
Mountain Pass
Ya that's part of the reason I'm doing it to. Way more room

Old 04-14-2017, 08:17 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
This is my E-Fan conversion done with just about 90% Ford Junk yard parts for under $150 or so (Fan motor new OEM from NAPA)

I used a Hayden adjustable thermostatic switch that used a surface probe which I inserted at the very top of my radiator. It is secured with a small blob of tar next to where the hose meets the tank & fins. I bought it at Advance Auto (their brand, same part #) for about half of what it was priced at Summit. This is it "mocked up" on kitchen table:

This is the enclosure (Radio Shack) That houses all the above :

Taurus 2-speed fan & shroud mounted inside stock F fan shroud:

By removing air pump & doing a mech to elec fan conversion, my 5.8 was MUCH more rev happy & had a much greater throttle response. Better mileage? I can only surmise since I still have tank cross-flow and no accurate way to check. I firmly believe I have greater horsepower availability since there was much less rotational mass spinning although there are plenty here who argue that the alternator makes up for that even though I don't RUN the fan most of the time.

One of the greatest benefits to me besides the above is that with proper soldered push connectors is that I can pull the whole thing in about 5 minuets to do any sort of engine/front dress service, including NOT having to drain the radiator or disconnect hoses.

None of this is 100% permanent & could be changed back easily with the exception of how I suspended the Taurus shroud:

Interior switch control:

Old 04-14-2017, 08:24 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

The thermostat housing has a "boss" cut into it left over from the 70s' that was used for a thermostatic vacuum control valve. You can drill & tap it like below. I use it for a mechanical temp gauge sender.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:43 AM
Aj-
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Scndsin
The thermostat housing has a "boss" cat into it left over from the 70s' that was used for a thermostatic vacuum control valve. You can drill & tap it like below. I use it for a mechanical temp gauge sender.

That was done to a stock housing?

Old 04-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Aj-
That was done to a stock housing?
Yep.......

Old 04-14-2017, 09:43 AM
Aj-
Mountain Pass
Perfect. That's what I'm going to do then

Old 04-14-2017, 08:00 PM
Willigaf
Senior User
Scndsin, your first pic, that's all a foreign language to me. I would like to do this myself though. I'm actually not a complete fool with electronics but all that seems like a bird's nest. Is there a version of that, that just comes ready to plug in? Haha

Also, is the dial in the engine bay to set the temp for "auto on/off"?

Old 04-14-2017, 09:05 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

I build electrical stuff from scratch mostly. There is a term called "bread-boarding" & I have no idea why...

What you're looking at is 2 bulbs on the left standing for a separate speed of the two speed fan. The other bulb on upper right stands for the AC clutch. When it comes on, the fan goes automatically to "Hi" & back to low when it disengages. All done though the diode that came in that 3 relay box as was done from the factory.

Yeah, the **** on the box adjusts the temp that the fan "auto" runs. I dropped the probe in the oven with the whole shootin'-match sitting on top & with a quality oven gauge scribed temp numbers on the "dial" to ball-park initial adjustment & fine tune with the mechanical gauge.

Whole thing is protected by a 40 amp fuse. The rotary switch had a smaller 20 amp that protects the relay power.

Been working fine for years.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:41 PM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Follow the below link for thermostat housings.

It would make things a lot easier if you would tell us what you are working on, so that I don't have to go searching through your posts.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...rder=Ascending

Quick Reply: Electric fan conversation questions