Sponsored by:

Warn winch: best price

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 02:27 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Warn winch: best price

Does anyone on here know of a retailer that sales below min advertising price? I know warn has a minimum advertising price policy but you used to could find different prices when you added them to your cart.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:40 PM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The term "Best Price" is very subjective. What are you willing to pay as a minimum? I shopped for a 16.5 for 8-12 months before I closed a deal for $1000. The retail is $1750ish. I shopped Flea-Bay twice daily when aperson had two 16.5's he wanted to get rid of. They were both NIB. Love it. Shop, Shop, Shop is all I can say. Early bird gets the deals.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:06 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
At $1K that was a steal. I'd jump all over that. Right now everyone is at $1750 for the 16.5ti. I did find one place that was $1775 for the 16.5ti-s which is a great deal but I do not want or need the syn rope on my F350. (I run syn rope on both of my winches on my jeep but every ounce counts on a 1/4 ton jeep.) So, below $1750 delivered and no tax is what I'm looking for.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:42 PM
HouseMouse
Elder User
The he deals are out there.... I'm still being nosey and look at the 16.5 on Flea Bay still. Haven't seen anything worthwhile in the past 3 months or so. Even the used ones are BIG money. Most probably will need a new Cable, some testing etc. All that should be factored in if you shop for a used winch. I started shopping or snooping when I knew a new F350 was on the horizon. Just a tip I have learned.... Buy all the Recovery Rigging separately rather than the "Kit". You can save "Some" money that way. Rugged Ridge makes a good product..... Sometimes the Warn or Rugged Ridge kits come up on Flea Bay because they sold their winch and they are liquidating.... It happens. Oh,and the Warn 16.5 I got was Free Shipping.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:18 PM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by toymaster
At $1K that was a steal. I'd jump all over that. Right now everyone is at $1750 for the 16.5ti. I did find one place that was $1775 for the 16.5ti-s which is a great deal but I do not want or need the syn rope on my F350. (I run syn rope on both of my winches on my jeep but every ounce counts on a 1/4 ton jeep.) So, below $1750 delivered and no tax is what I'm looking for.
I'm curious what sort of winching you're planning that you need a 16.5 ton on an F-350. In 99% of cases that's likely way overkill and in the other 1% a bit of rigging will cover it.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:30 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
^^^^^ Well, your winch is suppose to be rated 2x the weight of your vehicle, my one tons weigh +8,000 curb weight. I've been running a warn 12K since 2000 on my F350 and it has done the job, I do carry a pulley just in case. The main reason is the new tech is put in the biggest winch versus the M12. Of course, you always have the Tim Taylor behavior and I want the biggest and baddest just because what else do you put on an $80,000 truck? I'm sure it will come down to which model I find the best price for.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:54 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
My position is.... I would rather have more capability and not use it, rather than, not having enough. Over the years, the same held true, I would rather have a Winch and not need it, rather than need a winch and not have it. As far as the 16.5 goes.... pulling the 5th wheel and getting stuck on a hunt is problematic compounded. Even if you don't use it, you got to admit it looks darn Boss out front.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:28 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by toymaster
^^^^^ Well, your winch is suppose to be rated 2x the weight of your vehicle...
I'm pretty sure that rule of thumb was started by people who assume only ever doing a single line pull.

Originally Posted by HouseMouse
My position is.... I would rather have more capability and not use it, rather than, not having enough. Over the years, the same held true, I would rather have a Winch and not need it, rather than need a winch and not have it. As far as the 16.5 goes.... pulling the 5th wheel and getting stuck on a hunt is problematic compounded. Even if you don't use it, you got to admit it looks darn Boss out front.
Well, winching a 5th wheel might be a case where you need it, though I've never been that stuck anywhere I would even contemplate going with a 5th wheel, Though I did take my duece and a half some crazy places. LOL

On the looks reason, buying things for looks has always been lost on me.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:20 AM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Rovernut
I'm pretty sure that rule of thumb was started by people who assume only ever doing a single line pull..
A few things you may not be aware of. The "rating" on a recreational winch is the absolute maximum with unlimited battery power at the first layer on the drum. Forgive the pun, but the rating is a stretch, by all meaning of the word. When you are stuck fighting your equipment is the last thing you want to do. When in a situation it seems like nothing goes right so having a margin for error is a good thing.