Cold howl on accel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Cold howl on accel

Old 03-28-2018, 10:27 AM
turbohunter
Postmaster
turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.
Cold howl on accel

Hi guys
I could use a little diagnostic help. Have recently started hearing what sounds to me like turbo howl during cold accel.
At first I thought it may be belt squeal. Checked the belts and tensioners and indeed had a bad accessory tensioner. Replaced that and hoped for the best. Still have the cold howl. It only happens when dead cold and only on initial accel. Sounds to me like I'm starting to lose the turbo but I'll defer to you guys that are more familiar.
Included a vid link, sorry it's upside down but you only need to listen.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:31 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.
Ok have crawled all over the truck from engine compartment top to underneath while wifey hit the accelerator.
First I’ve ruled out turbo whine. I couldn’t hear the noise from the top of the engine but could hear it underneath. I think not only did I have a bad tensioner but I think it’s the routing/idler pulley that’s bad on the main belt. Also as I watch the tensioner while running it’s kinda dancing a bit.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:48 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Wrong cemosabie.
Replaced idler pulleys. Still there.
Well at 200k itís time to replace Ďem anyway. Thatís the way Iím spinning it.
Guess Iíll be crawling all over it some more while wifey guns it.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:46 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.
It's very tough to find these things. Your approach is exactly what I would do. Take out the known wear items. (not throwing money away as they need it anyway)

I study my *** off and from what your description is, I'm leaning into power steering pump.

Your mileage and my research point right at it. They start failing at your mileage. How is your steering and do you have a note when cold when it's acting up with steering input??

Denny (big shot in the dark)

Old 04-15-2018, 07:01 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
You may have it right. I donít drive it everyday but last time I got in it I thought the steering was a bit, uh, how do I describe it, tougher to turn but that may be overstating it.
Anyway thank you for your thoughts. As I think about it I couldnít hear the noise up top much and it might be more driver side oriented and down. Iíll look at the pump next.
Thanks again.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:25 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
FOUND IT
I canít tell you guys how much Iíve been crawling all over this truck. It wasnít the front of the engine at all. Was checking all the down pipes and up pipes for cracks because it was very boost related. You could play with the pedal and tell it wasnít a pulley. No cracks in any pipes but in following the boost and exhaust patterns, boom, there it was. One of the passenger side bolt holes was empty and there was soot around it where the rest of the engine was spic and span. The rear exhaust manifold bolt broke and because there are two steel gaskets it is making a whistling sound when it gets boost.
So now my only problem is getting some time to make the repair. In saying what the dealer would charge and taking a couple days off against it, I think Iíll be taking a couple days off (though this is going to be an epic pain in my keester).

Old 06-04-2018, 12:44 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Hah, just found this thread.
This is exactly the problem I have.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...bo-squeal.html

Old 06-12-2018, 05:00 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
2 days in and itís out.
Now to drill the bolts out.
This thread has helped a bunch.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...old-bolts.html
If you ever have to do this job just know itís a weeks worth of work (at least for us old guys).

Old 06-12-2018, 10:14 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Good work. Thanks for the threads. I hope I never have to worry about this.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:44 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
I did it.
Today was bolt drilling day.
The first one would not take a straight bit into it. Kept shoving it over to the side. It came out in pieces and one side of it was pretty much welded to the threads. It pushed the bit away from the somewhat welded area. But With the help of a dremel and some new cool bits I could chew away at the welded part and finally cleaned it out with a tap and thread chaser. And that was the easy to reach hole, thank goodness. If it were the hard to reach hole it would not be good.
The second hole took a very nice center punch and I could get an almost perfect center on it. Had to go very slowly though. I had ordered some McMaster Carr reverse drill bits which weren’t cheap and had to cut down the length of the two larger sizes in order to fit behind the frame. At 3:05p I finally got the second bolt to break free.
3 days and counting. But it’s all downhill from here. Tomorrow I’ll get the manifold back on then a slow rebuild should be done Friday.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:50 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Congrats. Had you got them out. Had to do this on my wife’s 5.4 in her expedition. While not even close to as tight as our 6.4’s it still wasn’t even remotely fun.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:58 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Thanks man Iím feeling pretty good right now but itís a bitch of a job.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:18 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
I will take your word for it for sure.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:40 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Good day on the truck today. As expected the manifold took all morning to get in and torqued down. Got the rest of the bottom end back together in the afternoon (starter reconnect, a/c back tight, alternator back in and belt on).
Just amazes me that there are only a few easy bolts to get in. Gotta get your attitude straight to get Ďer done.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:09 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
It runs and itís freaking quite.
Took it out and drove around for a while. All is well.
I guess this is the end of the thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: