2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Optional Packages... Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:29 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Optional Packages... Please Help!

So I’m online building a F350 and question several of the options if I will find benefit in them or not. Some adders have negative effects to so am curious as to your guys thoughts. Please see below list and money not being a issue would you buy again. Thank you,

Ford F-350
11400 gvwr package
Camper pkg
FX4 pkg
Tow Technology pkg
5th wheel/Gooseneck prep pkg
Spray in Bed liner
Blis
Hitch kit Gooseneck
Individual TPMS /Trailer Prep kit
Quad-Beam LED Headlamps
Wheel well liners

Old 03-13-2018, 06:39 PM
Tunaahelper
Mountain Pass

[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=sawtooth;17860714]
So I’m online building a F350 and question several of the options if I will find benefit in them or not. Some adders have negative effects to so am curious as to your guys thoughts. Please see below list and money not being a issue would you buy again. Thank you,

Ford F-350
11400 gvwr package
Camper pkg Honestly don't remember this as an option on my '18 Limited.
FX4 pkg Yes.
Tow Technology pkg Yes.
5th wheel/Gooseneck prep pkg I didn't.
Spray in Bed liner Yes. Regardless of the price, I figured that you want the beds sprayed as close to "untouched" as possible.
Blis Might as well.
Hitch kit Gooseneck Didn't do. Have no aspirations of doing anything 5th wheel related.
Individual TPMS /Trailer Prep kit I didn't that I can recall. Will check and get back.
Quad-Beam LED Headlamps Came with the truck. Best truck headlights I've seen. Done many aftermarket LED bulbs on rigs in the past, so you can do better if you don't order the truck with it.
Wheel well liners Yes. Stupid that these aren't standard.

Only thing that comes to mind that you might be missing is the alternator add and locking diff. I did both.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:48 PM
sawtooth
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tunaahelper

Originally Posted by sawtooth

Ford F-350
11400 gvwr package
Camper pkg Honestly don't remember this as an option on my '18 Limited.
FX4 pkg Yes.
Tow Technology pkg Yes.
5th wheel/Gooseneck prep pkg I didn't.
Spray in Bed liner Yes. Regardless of the price, I figured that you want the beds sprayed as close to "untouched" as possible.
Blis Might as well.
Hitch kit Gooseneck Didn't do. Have no aspirations of doing anything 5th wheel related.
Individual TPMS /Trailer Prep kit I didn't that I can recall. Will check and get back.
Quad-Beam LED Headlamps Came with the truck. Best truck headlights I've seen. Done many aftermarket LED bulbs on rigs in the past, so you can do better if you don't order the truck with it.
Wheel well liners Yes. Stupid that these aren't standard.

Only thing that comes to mind that you might be missing is the alternator add and locking diff. I did both.

yep I'm only including stuff I'm not sure of. I plan to order the 3.55 locking diff and heavy duty dual alternator pkg. so are you saying the LED lights are good or that I can do just as good while saving some cash with the standard lights and upgrading them later? Thank you

Old 03-13-2018, 06:55 PM
cdk888
Junior User
I just went through all of this and ordered a 350... primarily for a slide in camper and may pull a trailer

Ford F-350
11400 gvwr package
  • I am in Calif, the threshold for some of the Motor Carrier Permit laws is 11500 which is the GVWR if you do not take this package. There are exception to needing MCP but just to keep things simple i took this option.
Camper pkg
  • I took this as it certifies you for a camper and gives you a loading sheet in the glove box. If you do not take this you get a note in the glove box stating your vehicle is not certified for slide in campers. I took this option
FX4 pkg
  • I took it
Tow Technology pkg
  • definately for all the cameras and other inclussions
5th wheel/Gooseneck prep pkg
  • did not take as i do not plan on 5th wheeling
Spray in Bed liner
  • i took it, i like the spray bed liners
Blis
  • This comes with either the ultimate package or the tow tech, I like it
Hitch kit Gooseneck
  • not 5th wheeling so did not take it
Individual TPMS /Trailer Prep kit
  • did not take, i will do after market if i decide i want it
Quad-Beam LED Headlamps
  • comes with ultimate package
Wheel well liners
  • did not take them

Last edited by cdk888; 03-13-2018 at 06:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-13-2018, 07:14 PM
Robb81
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11400 gvwr package - Limits you to a 14,600 pound trailer without a CDL vs the 10,000 pound GVWR which limits your payload on paper anyway. Also it may be more to register in your state

Camper pkg - prevents you from ordering 20" wheels if that bothers you.

FX4 pkg - Gives you skid plate, rancho shocks and hill descent control, I like the 'FX4' decal better than the 4x4 decal. Rancho shocks are not great, but hill descent is nice.

Tow Technology pkg - Worth every penny

5th wheel/Gooseneck prep pkg - It's a nice set up, personally I like B&W turnover ball better.

Spray in Bed liner - Unless you really need the Ford logo on your bed, get a Line X. WAY better product.

Blis - Required for Quad beam LED. I could live without it.

Hitch kit Gooseneck - If you get the factory hitch and pull or plan to pull a gooseneck you should get it.

Individual TPMS /Trailer Prep kit - Nice but overpriced imo

Quad-Beam LED Headlamps - I like them

Wheel well liners - Keeps things looking clean, not a must have.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:34 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,718 Likes on 2,755 Posts
Ford F-350 - Yes get this. Very good option to have.
11400 gvwr package - Only do this if you are worried about getting nailed on registration costs in your state. It's just a paper de-rate from 11,500.
Camper pkg - Gives you the sway bar and a +1 on the front springs. I wouldn't have a pickup without a sway bar.
FX4 pkg - Nah.
Tow Technology pkg - Yes, if you tow.
5th wheel/Gooseneck prep pkg - Yes, if you ever get a trailer that can use it. Would help resale also.
Spray in Bed liner - Absolutely. OEM works well for me.
Blis - Handy to have
Hitch kit Gooseneck - Don't get this from Ford unless you feel like rolling the cost into the over purchase price. Easily found in the aftermarket.
Individual TPMS /Trailer Prep kit - I find this invaluable for managing my trailer's tires.
Quad-Beam LED Headlamps - Expensive but looks great from the front and from the cab.
Wheel well liners - I got these because I didn't want to have to do any install of an aftermarket liner.

Keep in mind that every option you add deducts from your cargo capacity. If you're going to pull a heavy 5th wheel trailer you need to be real careful about adding options that you may not need.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:56 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
Ford F-350 Definitely
11400 gvwr package Get the 11,500 ( standard if you don't select a lower payload) unless you are in state that penalizes your for that extra 100 lbs.
Camper pkg I wanted the 20" wheels, So I skipped this. And I have no intention of carrying a camper, But I do tow
FX4 pkg I wanted the skid plates
Tow Technology pkg Yes, Love all the cameras
5th wheel/Gooseneck prep pkg I do like the Ford GN prep and GN hitch.
Spray in Bed liner I prefer some of the After market spray in Bed Liners. My dealer uses the Reflex product and it not as slick as the Ford OEM. I hate having a table saw slide across the bed when I hit the brakes.

Blis My Platinum included it, Probably would not have ordered it, But it's OK
Hitch kit Gooseneck But you can probably purchase the Ball online cheaper than the $250 Ford wants for it. Check Etrailer.com they have it for $151
Individual TPMS /Trailer Prep kit Have not bought yet, But am considering., It can be added after
Quad-Beam LED Headlamps Love the LED lights But it forces you to purchase the Ultimate, KR and Platinum upgrades
Wheel well liners I have not had these on my 2011 or 2015. My current truck came with the Liners and mud guards and I like them

Your budget will dictate what you can afford. I tell my home buyers, "You can have anything you want, But you may not be able to afford everything you desire"
Both my 2011 and 2015 trucks were pretty basic Lariats. They had exactly what I wanted and served me well. This 2017 is a Platinumand has more than I would have ordered. But I wanted a Ruby Red Long Bed with retractable Steps and LED lights. and this truck had those options and the dealer worked a great price for me. So I bought more than I would have ordered.

Good luck

Old 03-13-2018, 07:57 PM
Tunaahelper
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by sawtooth
yep I'm only including stuff I'm not sure of. I plan to order the 3.55 locking diff and heavy duty dual alternator pkg. so are you saying the LED lights are good or that I can do just as good while saving some cash with the standard lights and upgrading them later? Thank you

I didn't see what trim level you were getting. The "halo" trim is cool and stands out, but didn't look at the other trim levels to see if the halogen can have the "halo"... I really like the factory headlights on my truck. So, if pressed, I'd say f'it, order them. ;-)

Old 03-13-2018, 08:05 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,718 Likes on 2,755 Posts
One option I won't be without on any future vehicle if it is available is the Adaptive Cruise Control. I really like it.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:10 PM
Tunaahelper
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
Ford F-350 Definitely
11400 gvwr package Get the 11,500 ( standard if you don't select a lower payload) unless you are in state that penalizes your for that extra 100 lbs. I went for max. Didn't really think about it.
Camper pkg I wanted the 20" wheels, So I skipped this. And I have no intention of carrying a camper, But I do tow
FX4 pkg I wanted the skid plates x2
Tow Technology pkg Yes, Love all the cameras x2
5th wheel/Gooseneck prep pkg I do like the Ford GN prep and GN hitch.
Spray in Bed liner I prefer some of the After market spray in Bed Liners. My dealer uses the Reflex product and it not as slick as the Ford OEM. I hate having a table saw slide across the bed when I hit the brakes. If I had to pick at the factory, I'd admit it is a little 'slicker' than I would like to see. However, I always toss a rubber stall mat in my trucks.

Blis My Platinum included it, Probably would not have ordered it, But it's OK
Hitch kit Gooseneck But you can probably purchase the Ball online cheaper than the $250 Ford wants for it. Check Etrailer.com they have it for $151
Individual TPMS /Trailer Prep kit Have not bought yet, But am considering., It can be added after I checked, didn't order it. Same reason..
Quad-Beam LED Headlamps Love the LED lights But it forces you to purchase the Ultimate, KR and Platinum upgrades
Wheel well liners I have not had these on my 2011 or 2015. My current truck came with the Liners and mud guards and I like them Factory mud flaps- I ordered mine with. My truck is black, so liners in the rear aren't as visible as the other colors. Always been a peeve of mine to see a nice truck and stare at the frame VS a clean black liner.

Your budget will dictate what you can afford. I tell my home buyers, "You can have anything you want, But you may not be able to afford everything you desire"
Both my 2011 and 2015 trucks were pretty basic Lariats. They had exactly what I wanted and served me well. This 2017 is a Platinumand has more than I would have ordered. But I wanted a Ruby Red Long Bed with retractable Steps and LED lights. and this truck had those options and the dealer worked a great price for me. So I bought more than I would have ordered. Ha! True. I work the finance side of RE. I have something kinda similar that I say- for the "right house" (after looking at 50) don't let 5k get in the way during negotiations- it's $25.00 in a monthly payment... Personally wrestled with Platinum or Limited and fell in love with the interior on the LImited. For the price difference, the long term value was in it for me when it's my butt in the seat. ;-)

Good luck
Above.....

Old 03-13-2018, 09:43 PM
bitNine
Senior User
Originally Posted by Robb81
Spray in Bed liner - Unless you really need the Ford logo on your bed, get a Line X. WAY better product.
OMG, that video seals the deal against the factory liner. It's as if they did no prep to the bed at all. I was already on the fence, but not anymore.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:28 PM
Tunaahelper
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by bitNine
OMG, that video seals the deal against the factory liner. It's as if they did no prep to the bed at all. I was already on the fence, but not anymore.
Holy Sh''''t. Say wha??? Well, I guess I have a perfectly preserved factory paint job under my "ford shrink wrap" bed-liner. That's BS. Grrrrrrr Kinda like fancy jeans on chics only to find out the truth that it doesn't look that good w/o them AND YOU MARRIED ONE!

Old 03-13-2018, 11:35 PM
12Farmer
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
Ford F-350 Definitely
11400 gvwr package Get the 11,500 ( standard if you don't select a lower payload) unless you are in state that penalizes your for that extra 100 lbs.
So Painted Horse, are you saying that if you do nothing to specify otherwise, you should get 11,500# standard as the GVWR on a F350 SCSB 4x2 SRW 6.2L? The reason I ask is because on my order sheet it shows 10,500# GVWR package as a $0 listing, which I've been assuming is standard since I didn't specify a lower payload. Is your 11,500 perhaps a typo?

Old 03-14-2018, 05:18 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
If you get a the snow plow prep, it will come with heavier springs in the front and the heavy duty alternator.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:27 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
Originally Posted by 12Farmer
So Painted Horse, are you saying that if you do nothing to specify otherwise, you should get 11,500# standard as the GVWR on a F350 SCSB 4x2 SRW 6.2L? The reason I ask is because on my order sheet it shows 10,500# GVWR package as a $0 listing, which I've been assuming is standard since I didn't specify a lower payload. Is your 11,500 perhaps a typo?
I don't know on the Gasser. But on the F350 Diesel, 4x4 11,500 the default
Check the buyers guide. But usually any of the 10,000 or 11,400 options are Downgrades.

Quick Reply: Optional Packages... Please Help!