Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Improving 76 Ford F150 fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 08:00 AM
SlikWillie
Cargo Master
Received 596 Likes on 349 Posts
A dentside is a giant brick on wheels, period. The money you will spend to gain, maybe, 3 mpg better you could spend on a 15 year old civic or focus and get 30mpg. These trucks are built to work and make money, not save money at the pump. You just have to deal with it like the rest of us. Sorry for the bad news.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:30 AM
djfins
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silk willie is right. Any small changes you make will not make any effect that you will see in your wallet, but small gains in the form of fractions of a percent.

the two modern things you can do to actually see a gain, which will also improve drivqbility and driver comfort are:
1) fitech or other tbi system in place of your carb ($1000-2000)
2) gear vendors overdrive ($2500-4000)

these two items will make you feel like your driving a more modern truck, reduce wear on the engine and trans incredably, and reduce fuel consumption. The first two reults imho are where its worth the money. But if you dont have the budget doing all the small things mentioned above will help keep the truck running optimally in its current configuration, ie urning as little fuel as possible

Old 03-10-2018, 09:08 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by djfins
Silk willie is right. Any small changes you make will not make any effect that you will see in your wallet, but small gains in the form of fractions of a percent.
Well no, that's not quite right either, on a percentage basis these old trucks will definitely improve with some attention, small changes can make huge percentage gains. Even a mpg or two improvement will noticeably increase the range on a tank, another factor. It is true that even when running well and tuned properly the fuel economy is not stellar in a full size pickup.

But when they get out of tune, it really drops off a cliff, when it tracks back up from 9 to 17 it will get your attention. Ignition timing and carb jetting will accomplish this. These trucks will never get Festiva mileage but that's not quite the same thing - and there's no reason to simply waste fuel. Out of tune engines dilute crankcase oil & wash out rings or cause cylinder glazing, foul electronic sensors and plug up $$ catalyst, polllute more etc

Even if the very best an engine is capable of on the hwy is 9 mpg (say a big RV) then that's what you want, because it tells you the ignition system and fuel system and everything is operating within tolerance. MPG falling off dramatically is an indication something ain't right.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:17 AM
JD Q
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dissagree, a new carb can be "mapped" using the AFR gauge for performance and mpg. However, it will be more limited to duty and elevation restrictions.
you can get a Monster AOD or a 5 speed for less than 2000 dollars. That's less than the tag title and tax a new truck!

Old 03-10-2018, 10:27 AM
djfins
Senior User
An aod to fit a 390? Didnt know they had them. Benefit to a gear vendors is that it is just as stout as the c6 he has, if not more so, and you can split each gear to optimize rpm for towing, essentially ending up with a 6 speed auto. Drag racers use the gear vendors in the same way, having a closer ratio box.

And yes if your truck is way out of tune there will be things you can do to improve. I was assuming he had done that like any good ford truck owner! 😀 and was referring to the things mentioned like tail gate headers ignition upgrades etc that were mentioned. As you are still pouring the same amount of fuel into the engine, just becomes a bit more efficient in burning that same amount. If you want to reduce fuel consumption you need to put less into the engine, efi and reducing rpms with o/d are the best way to do that and still provide performance when needed.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:30 AM
JessyJ
Senior User
I,m reading this and people are saying just spend $1000,s of $ to get better milage. Well you can buy a lot of gas with the money you save by keeping it the way it is. JMO.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:20 PM
crazy96863
Cargo Master
Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
Add HP and torque. Quit worrying about the dumb stuff.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:22 PM
SlikWillie
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by JessyJ
I,m reading this and people are saying just spend $1000,s of $ to get better milage. Well you can buy a lot of gas with the money you save by keeping it the way it is. JMO.
I'm right there with you, Jessy. If you're getting 10mpg out of a 4wd or 14mpg out of a 2wd, leave it alone and spend your money elsewhere. If you want o/d and fuel injection, go buy a truck with it from the factory. Learn how to properly tune a carb and set timing correctly and your truck will be fine. I guess it would really help if 66ford300 would post up what he is currently getting and more details on his truck (4wd or 2wd, lifted or stock, tire size, engine build, size of carb, etc).

Also, welcome to FTE!!

Old 03-10-2018, 12:22 PM
JD Q
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I apologize for missing the 390 city and only focusin on the c6.
I apologize for focusing on budget it should be based on individual requirements.
most everything mentioned above will help improve mpg. Good luck.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by djfins
And yes if your truck is way out of tune there will be things you can do to improve. I was assuming he had done that like any good ford truck owner!
Right, but experience here has shown that the folks who have their trucks tuned and maintained to a high level know already what's realistic. A smaller subset (not this guy here) seem to think that an aftermarket air cleaner and some magnets around the fuel line will turn it into hyper-miler. Usually though it's people who are aware that something is seriously wrong and want to know how to fix it.

Check for the obvious - underinflated tires, sticking brakes. Then look at the engine itself, gearing, transmission. If the engine has good compression; - you did perform a cylinder compression test, right? ... it will respond well to a tuneup. Ignition timing - the distributor curve, and carburetor tuning will pay dividends. Take the time to study up on carburetor theory and operation, rebuild, installation setup and adjustment. All of the manuals are available now for free download. A lot of people think carburetors are bolted on and that's the end of the mystery.

Very few people understand carburetors very well today, probably not very many did back even when they were common. Just a 1/16" of an inch difference in float height can make a big difference in how it runs, or the wrong power valve will waste amazing amounts of fuel, misadjusted idle mixture will completely foul spark plugs etc. Remember you are unlikely to find a shop that can do this stuff today, and even if they can you'd likely balk at what they would have to charge.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:54 PM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts
If you don't drive the truck on the interstate much, you could go for some 3.50:1 gears and maybe burn less fuel in town.
Or if most of your driving is on the interstate, then some 2.70:1s would probably pick those MPGs up a little. Make sure the carb is at least properly tuned and that the choke opens up as quickly as possible. Air up your tires to the max pressure.

But if I was driving that truck a lot, I would probably look into adapting an AOD or something, and stepping the rearend gears to at least 3.50:1.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:28 PM
niko20
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty screwed in the MPG department, I have 4:10 gears :P ouch

Old 03-10-2018, 05:32 PM
66ford300
5th Wheeling
What o2 sensors are people running for these engines

Old 03-10-2018, 07:13 PM
SlikWillie
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 66ford300
What o2 sensors are people running for these engines
Alright, you got me a little confused. We need details. Ford didn't have O2 Sensors in the 70s (if they did, that's news to me). Did a previous owner install a throttle body injection or something? Does your truck have an O2 sensor now? If so, please provide a picture. I'm not making fun of any one here. Just sometimes people buy a vehicle and don't really know what they have.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:40 PM
66ford300
5th Wheeling
Someone said to tune the carb you could put an o2 sensor in the exhaust pipe, so I was wondering what part number the sensors were.

Quick Reply: Improving 76 Ford F150 fuel economy