2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Coming Sync 3 update

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 07:45 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Seems a shame Ford charges for updates. A cheap Garmin often gives you lifetime updates. But unlike others on this site, I do find the factory GPS quite usable and functional.
I agree with you.
The factory navigation works very well for me and I have no complaints.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:17 AM
fleming23
Tuned
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by beefrob
I am having to do a soft reset every so often since the version 3 update. I had zero issues with version 2.3. To do the soft reset hold the power button and the button with the arrow pointing to the driver side next to the M. Sorry I don't know the exact name of that button, but it beats doing a master reset or turning off the truck. Its still a pain in the hind end to have to do this after the update. Had to do it this morning to get my truck to run android auto. Either my install didn't go well, or this update wasn't ready for prime time. Does anyone know if the dealer has the ability to reinstall the update? I don't think we can from the usb.
Me as well, I've had issue with the auto brightness not responding and being full, or nearly full, bright while dark out. This actually makes it somewhat difficult to see as the screen is so bright in a dark cab. When I go to settings and try to adjust the brightness manually, the slider does not change anything from full bright to full dim. Only a soft reset seems to do the trick and is incredibly annoying. I'm thinking the 3.0 update has some minor glitches they need to correct rather quickly.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:28 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GABAR
I agree with you.
The factory navigation works very well for me and I have no complaints.
Same. I really like the Ford navigation system. It's solid, clean, and always works w/o having to mess around with anything.

Originally Posted by fleming23
Me as well, I've had issue with the auto brightness not responding and being full, or nearly full, bright while dark out. This actually makes it somewhat difficult to see as the screen is so bright in a dark cab. When I go to settings and try to adjust the brightness manually, the slider does not change anything from full bright to full dim. Only a soft reset seems to do the trick and is incredibly annoying. I'm thinking the 3.0 update has some minor glitches they need to correct rather quickly.
I appreciate all of the feedback you guys are providing about this update. Based on your experiences, I'm not going to update yet. I'd be extremely disappointed to upgrade software and then have a bunch of issues.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:59 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird
Same. I really like the Ford navigation system. It's solid, clean, and always works w/o having to mess around with anything.

I appreciate all of the feedback you guys are providing about this update. Based on your experiences, I'm not going to update yet. I'd be extremely disappointed to upgrade software and then have a bunch of issues.
Me too...not going to update at this time.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:11 AM
hinsong
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SoylentSaxgod
Good news for anyone who was stuck on the unofficial Sync 3 3.0 version.

I figured out how to get the official 3.0 to install!
Nice job figuring out the package that checks version, SoylentSaxgod. My OCD was going to get the better of me if I couldn't get current, lol. Thanks for putting in the effort and sharing-worked perfectly!

Old 03-26-2018, 12:29 PM
jaxf250
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm staying on the pre-release 3.0 for now too. Works pretty well for me. Voice is responsive and I can run Waze on the large screen from my Android phone, while having google maps running on the phone if needed. I added the heated SW icon on the main screen already with Forscan. My only real issue with pre-release 3.0 has been that once in about 20-25 key cycles, the radio will revert to FM from whatever I had it on last (XM or Spotify, typically). Minor annoyance really, so IMHO it just runs like it should most days. I appreciate all the feedback from those who took the plunge already - seems like Ford will need to send out another patch soon to remedy the issues.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:48 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by wharrell

The issue with thus release is that no Applinks Apps work at all using USB

They. Sometimes may run for a minute or so then the system reverts to FM with all controls locked up reqiuiring a vehicle stop and restart or a master.reset

All of my Applink apps are working just fine after the update to 3.0 and they were working the same on 2.3 via USB which is required for iOS and CarPlay.

Are you using AA or CP.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:42 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Lightbulb Initial Sync 3 v3.0 Update Observations

Originally Posted by fleming23
So, I've been playing around with the Sync 3 v3.0 update:

1) Ford seems to be making progress on the AppLink Feature. For example, I can use the touch screen or voice to access the Accuweather app on my iPhone (an old 5S)
2) As noted above, there seems to be something amiss with the touchscreen's "Auto" dimming function. It's way too bright at night, even after selecting the lowest brightness setting. However, when selecting Night instead of Auto for the dimmer, the manual dimmer seems to work quite well, as I was able to achieve a comfortable brightness level. In fact, it was possible to dim the screen too much.. Hopefully we'll see a fix soon...
3) Perhaps it's just me, but the nighttime image from the tailgate camera is GREATLY improved.

I'm looking forward to the iPhone-compatible AppLink update to the Waze app.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 03-27-2018, 05:08 PM
SD_STIGG
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that Spotify is no longer available after the update? Also Pandora still seems to crash (only tested 10 min after the update might need a master reset). I will say that the AppLink seems to detect programs better than before that was a major issue for me and my iPhoneX.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:37 PM
1956Fatfenders
Elder User
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SD_STIGG
Has anyone else noticed that Spotify is no longer available after the update?

Found this online as I have the same issue:

The Spotify integration with Ford SYNC was discontinued January 16, 2018.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:42 PM
SD_STIGG
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1956Fatfenders
Well that sucks... but it also never worked grate to start with

Has anyone else updated via USB then noticed if you check for updates it tries to download JR3T-14G423-CA_103602.tar.gz? Found this odd since I just pulled the update from Ford.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:47 PM
1956Fatfenders
Elder User
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Well that sucks... but it also never worked grate to start with

Has anyone else updated via USB then noticed if you check for updates it tries to download JR3T-14G423-CA_103602.tar.gz? Found this odd since I just pulled the update from Ford.
Did you go back to owner.ford.com after the update, with your thumb drive inserted in your PC? A small xml file is placed on your thumb drive after a successful update, and owner.ford automatically updates your SYNC download history to include this most recent. Works slick and you don't need to do anything to make it happen.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:32 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1956Fatfenders

jeezus! they break one thing (spotify) and (maybe) fix another (waze)?
the only two f'ing apps that i wanna use and they screw it up! this pisses me off....

between the ford engineers dumbing down the cameras and crippling the sync I swear!

Old 03-28-2018, 07:26 AM
brock961
5th Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by beefrob
My head unit wants to go back to AM at startup after the version 3.0 install. Anyone else have this issue. I turn the truck off with sirius playing and radio comes up on AM when I start the truck.
Mine is doing the same thing. Very annoying. Sometimes it will remain on Sirius after turning off and back on, sometimes it will switch to AM, and sometimes to FM. I cannot find any real pattern to this. I did try a Master Reset, but that has not helped.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:49 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Has anyone else noticed that Spotify is no longer available after the update? Also Pandora still seems to crash (only tested 10 min after the update might need a master reset). I will say that the AppLink seems to detect programs better than before that was a major issue for me and my iPhoneX.
If you`re talking about Spotify being one of the AppLink apps for the SYNC system, it was removed when version 2.3 came out.
One could still get it through the phone via Bluetooth or USB.

Quick Reply: Coming Sync 3 update