1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

The 240 Died a Violent Death Coming Home from Work Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 11:03 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by LACzar
While I was at work today, FedEx had dropped some goodies off at the house that were waiting on me when I got home from work. ....Aero Precision M5E1 .308 enhanced upper receiver and an Aero Precision Gen II 15" enhanced handguard in Flat Dark Earth Cerakote finish. I think it contrasts nicely with the black hard coat anodized M5 lower receiver. Should make for a fun build project and a nice shooting rifle after I fully assemble it. _ Steve.

Steve, Are you building that fine rifle for hunting or the range? I like it. I sold my 308 lower assembly before I went overseas so I could finance my 300BO SBR before I left. Nothing like a little black rifle action in the woods or on the range.
Both. Although, technically, I don't go to the range. I have access to land with plenty of open area to set up targets to shoot.

My (BCM) Bravo Company RECCE KMR-A AR-15 .....Although I'm a little surprised at it 'cause as of yet, it hasn't taken it upon itself to go on a mass shooting spree. I've been hearing a lot lately from the media that that is what these rifles do but, so far, nothing (???).

Old 03-23-2018, 03:44 AM
mrpotatohead
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Intake gasket

Originally Posted by ultraranger
I left work this evening and went to the parts store to pick up my new radiator as soon as I got back to Camden.

.....while in route from the parts store and out to my buddy's shop to work on my truck this evening, I swung by the sporting goods store, that was on my way, and picked up this little jewel that was waiting on me there. (Oh my gosh! It's a piece of a scary black 'assault rifle' that just indiscriminantly shoots masses of people all on its own! RUN!!

....back to our regularly scheduled program....

When I got back to my friend's shop, I compared my old radiator up against the new one. Old crusty on the left, new hotness on the right.

I got the new radiator bolted up on the core support but, I discovered I'm going to have to rerun the two sections of hardline I had fabricated, to plumb the auxiliary transmission cooler, when the old radiator was in place. The new radiator is thicker and hangs down lower than the old radiator.

(Transmission oil cooler from a 1992 Ford F150)

'Big Birtha' in the house.

I had to make an on-vehicle tweak to this pressure line so it would line up with the fitting on the new radiator (I had originally fabricated this line to go from the transmission to the old radiator).

As a fellow "OCDer", did you ever consider trimming the excess intake manifold gasket off?

Old 03-23-2018, 07:10 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by mrpotatohead
As a fellow "OCDer", did you ever consider trimming the excess intake manifold gasket off?
I don't like the way the top of the gasket sticks out either but, If I cut that portion off, there'll be virtually nothing left to keep the gasket bridged together. I figure it best to just leave it alone and accept it for the way it is.

The one-piece intake/exhaust gasket that was in the set would have stuck out more than this gasket.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:49 AM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Truck and gun ****!

Old 03-24-2018, 10:03 AM
Thipdar
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ultraranger
Since the new replacement radiator is larger than my old one, I'm having to redo the hard lines I had previously run between the old radiator to tie into the aux. transmission oil cooler several years back. I got the 1st of the two new lines made up last night, after I had left work.
Looks like you're doing an awesome job.

Don't work yourself so hard that you start making mistakes.....

We can do without your typing up one-handed posts from the E.R., ok?

Old 03-24-2018, 10:06 AM
Thipdar
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
Truck and gun ****!
Yup! Now that just leaves the Sex, Drugs and Rock 'N Roll!

Old 03-24-2018, 07:01 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
....why's that dude happy?

....'cause he had just heard this.

Now, I just have to take it next week to get the exhaust system run on it and the '69 Ranger will be back on the road again.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:26 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Yesterday evening (Friday) when I got off work, I had to bend a couple of new 5/16" hard lines to fit around the bigger radiator to plumb to the aux. transmission oil cooler.

Uprgrades that have come with this engine build/swap, since the demise of the former 240:

1. Fresh .030" over inline 300 for an increase of around 66 cubic inches over the old 240.

2. Duraspark II ignition system that replaced the old points distributor.

3. '94 4.9L EFI exhaust manifolds (with some of the intermediate pipes attached) that replaced the much more restrictive (and in my case, severely cracked) single log exhaust manifold. --exhaust system still has to be run but will be true dual exhaust. Former exhaust system was single.

4. Very large new 3-row radiator over the smaller, former 2-row radiator.

5. One-piece rear main seal, as opposed to the old, janky two-piece style rope seal.

6. ....but, probably the best upgrade of all is the installation of the afterburner kit I put on. --for times when extreme, instant acceleration is needed.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:53 PM
Alex from GA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
At first I thought you meant nitrous until I saw the picture. Very funny.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:04 AM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Congratulations! It'll be interesting to see how that 300 does seat-of-the-pants and MPG-wise. I wonder how the duals will sound. On the youtube they seem to come off as somewhat cackle-y with loud mufflers. I'm a fan of the 300's smooth sound, so I like a long single run to mellow it out some - like an old UPS truck.

This and Trozei's build are making me envious. I think my engine is a 240, and I've got the pistons (forged, I believe) from my Mustang's original engine in the basement...

Think I'm still wanting to do the '87-'96 EFI in my dent.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:13 AM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It looks and sounds great Steve!
Will you have to upgrade your muffler bearings too?

Old 03-25-2018, 10:57 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
It looks and sounds great Steve!
Will you have to upgrade your muffler bearings too?
Thanks. It's been a long, tiring journey of long hours and lots of labor put into it over the past month to finally get to this point but, it's almost complete --Just needs the exhaust system run now. However, all the effort put into it has been worth it with the payoff of a freshly rebuilt engine that not only runs smooth but one that looks good doing it --along with a few factory performance upgrades thrown in to boot.

I have a set of mufflers picked out to address this problem. They function on the principle of unilateral phase detractors, consisting of a base plate of prefamulated ammulite surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two Sperving bearings are in direct line with the panometric FAM, which consists of six hydrocoptic Marsal vanes attached to the lunar wane shaft to prevent any side-fumbling. Techical in theory but very simple in application.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:04 AM
Alex from GA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Will it sound like the Chevy 6s with glasspacks of yesteryear?

Old 03-25-2018, 11:46 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Alex from GA
Will it sound like the Chevy 6s with glasspacks of yesteryear?
Currently, I just have the short length of the intermediate pipes, from the '94 4.9L donor engine, attached to the 4.9L EFI exhaust manifolds --open exhaust. I don't like obnoxiously loud exhaust on a street vehicle. I like a deep rumble but to me, there's only one thing that sounds good with a deep rumble and that's a V-8, not a six cylinder.

Just prior to starting the newly rebuilt engine for the first time, I took one of the old spark plugs from my deceased 240, to plug the O2 sensor bung in the pipes, so that hot exhaust gases and soot wouldn't be blasting onto my beautiful and freshly painted oil pan. While I was looking at the spark plug sticking out of the hole, I had to throw a spark plug wire on it and snap a picture of it just for giggles sake.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:13 PM
skipmiester
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reminds me of high school.
We would uncap our headers on Thursday night and drive our cars to school on Friday. We would then skip first period pep rally and drag race in the back parking lot!
Wonderful "Politically Incorrect" days of fun! No way kids could get away with that today!

Quick Reply: The 240 Died a Violent Death Coming Home from Work Today