1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

The 240 Died a Violent Death Coming Home from Work Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 01:33 AM
Thipdar
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraranger
6. ....but, probably the best upgrade of all is the installation of the afterburner kit I put on. --for times when extreme, instant acceleration is needed.

Now we're gonna have to send you to Top Gun school... so you can learn to control your afterburner... and maybe do a victory fly-by on NumberDummy's home office... just to see if you can make him spill his coffee...

Old 03-26-2018, 01:03 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Frame mounted coil?

Congrats on the 1st fire up Steve. Sounds real smooth.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:19 PM
pchelp
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
....why's that dude happy? ....'cause he had just heard this.

https://youtu.be/kv8yDip-m9U

Now, I just have to take it next week to get the exhaust system run on it and the '69 Ranger will be back on the road again.

Sounds fantastic ! What does that aluminum block under the intake manifold do? I saw how you built it but don't understand how it works.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:08 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Frame mounted coil?

Congrats on the 1st fire up Steve. Sounds real smooth.
Thanks, Jeff. I'm glad all the long hours and work put into it are behind me now. --couldn't pass up an opportunity for a little silliness to lighten some of the stress.

Originally Posted by pchelp
Sounds fantastic ! What does that aluminum block under the intake manifold do? I saw how you built it but don't understand how it works.
Thanks. Currently, the block doesn't do anything other than just sit there. I'll have to take it off, drill and tap the holes for some NPT threads to screw some fittings into that the heater hose will connect to. This will circulate warm water around that portion of the intake, directly under the carburetor, for more ease of driveability during the cold months.

The heater hose, with the heater control valve in it, will connect to the plate, in series. When the heater selector on the dash is not selected (off), the valve in the hose will be closed and that hose will be dead headed --no flow going through it or through the plate.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:01 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Thanks, Jeff. I'm glad all the long hours and work put into it are behind me now. --couldn't pass up an opportunity for a little silliness to lighten some of the stress.

Oh agreed! I would have done the same thing.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:09 PM
pchelp
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. Currently, the block doesn't do anything other than just sit there. I'll have to take it off, drill and tap the holes for some NPT threads to screw some fittings into that the heater hose will connect to. This will circulate warm water around that portion of the intake, directly under the carburetor, for more ease of driveability during the cold months.

The heater hose, with the heater control valve in it, will connect to the plate, in series. When the heater selector on the dash is not selected (off), the valve in the hose will be closed and that hose will be dead headed --no flow going through it or through the plate.
Ahhhh ok, similar to this on my 390

Old 03-27-2018, 07:04 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by pchelp
Ahhhh ok, similar to this on my 390

Something like that.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:22 AM
Alex from GA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with the v8 sound. The straight 6s of yesteryear, with duals, had a higher pitched rap. You're probably too young to remember them. Chevy 216 and 235 cu " engines.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:11 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Alex from GA
I agree with the v8 sound. The straight 6s of yesteryear, with duals, had a higher pitched rap. You're probably too young to remember them. Chevy 216 and 235 cu " engines.
I'm not familiar with all the Chevrolet engines but, I'll be 5 decades (plus two years) older come the last day of September.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:03 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
I'm not familiar with all the Chevrolet engines but, I'll be 5 decades (plus two years) older come the last day of September.
You don't look it at all. Wife version 2.0 is doing a good job of taking care of you.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:38 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
You don't look it at all. Wife version 2.0 is doing a good job of taking care of you.
Thanks. I suppose, for the most part, I've always looked younger than I really am.

This was just from a few years ago when I was in my late 40s. I don't look too significantly different now.

....This was a photo of me from just a few weeks ago, the moment after I heard the loud bang and then the immediate clattering from my 240, while I was on my way home from work. ...."HUH? What was THAT!?"

....aaand, this was a photo of me when I opened up the 240 to see the large hole in the #5 cylinder bore, a hole through the left side of the block and bits and pieces of the crunched up cylinder bore, piston and piston rings lying in the bottom of the oil pan.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:42 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
And this one right after the 300 started.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:01 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
And this one right after the 300 started.

....or, with more animated excitement, like this....

Old 03-27-2018, 03:08 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Yep. And I can just picture if your Buddy would have noticed a leak, You'd be sayin'.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

Old 03-30-2018, 11:47 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
I drove the Ranger up on my friend's trailer this evening to take it and drop it off at the exhaust shop. Tomorrow (Saturday), it'll have a new dual exhaust system on it and soon the Ranger will ride again.

In the 6 weeks it's been down, it's collected a nice layer of dust and pollen on it. For all it has been through recently, it's due a good clean up on the outside to more match the new prettiness on the inside.

Quick Reply: The 240 Died a Violent Death Coming Home from Work Today