1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

First Ford Truck (and Project)! Need Expert Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 08:36 AM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
You talking about me
Haha, yes, I was. Also, the truck in this link below was way beyond what most people would consider repairing. I understand why he did...but still. That's what real northern rust looks like...lol.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...1-09-15-a.html

When I go through a spell of thinking my project truck is an old rusty beater, I think of those others that have tackled much worse projects.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:52 AM
RedFive_R5
Mountain Pass
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Rembrant
Rust is a big problem for us here, same as it is for you. I'm always amazed at the vehicles I see on the road where inspections aren't required. I travel to upstate NY with work once in a while, and I've seen rusty vehicles there that would never be allowed on the road where I live.

Anyway, regarding your frame. It's not the end of the world, and you're certainly not the first guy to buy a rusty F150. I've seen pictures and threads on here of rust repairs that 99% of people would never even bother with.
Just do it one step at a time, and start with that frame.
I'm glad we don't have inspections here, although I can see how that could make the roads safer. There's gotta be a material or sealant that doesn't react or rust out there. I'm sure it's expensive or the manufacturers want people to buy new cars every 5-10 years...

I'm inspired by all the threads here of people restoring rust. Gotta keep in mind these guys know what they're doing much more than I do (yet?). Like you said, just gotta take this on one step at a time.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by RedFive_R5
I'm glad we don't have inspections here, although I can see how that could make the roads safer. There's gotta be a material or sealant that doesn't react or rust out there. I'm sure it's expensive or the manufacturers want people to buy new cars every 5-10 years...

I'm inspired by all the threads here of people restoring rust. Gotta keep in mind these guys know what they're doing much more than I do (yet?). Like you said, just gotta take this on one step at a time.
Some of us do the rustproofing spray here every year. I have our cars done every fall, and it makes a HUGE difference in longevity and resale. However, it can make them very messy to work on. I'm in Canada, but pretty far south as longitude goes...I'd be about the same as being in the middle of Michigan. Do you call that the "middle of the mitt"?...lol.

My coworker has a 2012 Dodge Ram that the oil pan rusted out on last year. He just had it replaced about 6 months ago. Pretty common stuff around here.

There are a lot of very experienced guys on here, and they're very helpful. Take your time, search for info, and ask the questions on the stuff you can't find, and you'll motor right along.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:49 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Franklin2 - The frames up here are all rusty, no getting around that. But most of the ones I saw today are at least solid... compared to mine which can be punched through if I push very hard with a screwdriver. I'm all for repairing, but in this case I think it'd be a lot of work for a temporary increase in strength.

Rembrant - I have to agree with you that this frame should be replaced rather than repaired. There are lots of broken mounts and crossmembers. It might be worth it for one-of-a-kind vehicles, not so sure about this one.

matthewq4b - I don't need to pass any sort of inspection. My plans for this truck are to get the engine tuned up while looking for a frame to swap. Thanks for the caution.

Thanks for all your responses. If there's any specific pictures or angles I can take so you guys can tell better, let me know. It's pretty clear the frame is a goner though lol.

I'm not joking about no driving this truck. If you are in the states there is an expected " duty of care" when driving a vehicle on public roads. In short you are responsible to have your vehicle in safe operating and structural condition. If you knowingly operate a that is not structurally sound or safe mechanical condition It's even part of the fine print of your insurance policy, you are leaving your self wide open to be sued if you get in a wreck even if not your fault. The insurance company will wash their hands of the matter or sue you after the fact for the damages plug legal costs.

This vehicle is NOT road worthy not by any stretch of the imagination and all reality is pretty much just good for parts. Look to the west or south for a truck that is in better shape, You may be able to find one with a good body but is clapped out mechanically for not much money.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:02 PM
RedFive_R5
Mountain Pass
I'll be doing some tune up work in the garage and driveway until I get a better frame here in a month or two. No worries.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:50 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Get a few cans of PB Blaster and start spraying all the nuts & bolts of the parts you will be removing this way it will start working its way in and hope (fingers crossed) they come apart some what easy when the time comes.

Before you start to pulling the truck apart get a box or 2 of Ziploc plastic bags in qt & gal sizes to put nuts/bolts and small parts in. Use a marker to mark the baggies what they go to and maybe how many bolts or screws go to that part.

A roll of masking tape and a pen is great for marking wires where they go. Also the tape can be used to hold screws/bolts to parts so you don't have to go digging thru baggies for them.
Dave ----

Old 02-19-2018, 04:14 AM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
Get a few cans of PB Blaster and start spraying all the nuts & bolts of the parts you will be removing this way it will start working its way in and hope (fingers crossed) they come apart some what easy when the time comes.
Dave, I may be heavily jaded from years of being around rust, but I always joke that "penetrating" oils are a far bigger scam than weight loss diet pills ever were...lol. I do use the stuff every now and then, but the one can I do have will last me my entire lifetime.

Before you start to pulling the truck apart get a box or 2 of Ziploc plastic bags in qt & gal sizes to put nuts/bolts and small parts in. Use a marker to mark the baggies what they go to and maybe how many bolts or screws go to that part.

A roll of masking tape and a pen is great for marking wires where they go. Also the tape can be used to hold screws/bolts to parts so you don't have to go digging thru baggies for them.
Dave ----
I do the Ziplock baggie thing, and use tape and Sharpie pen to label everything. It sure does help. I know guys that take stuff apart and throw every nut and bolt into a 5 gallon bucket, and then dig through that bucket during reassembly and mysteriously find all the correct bolts. Maybe it's a sign of mild OCD?, but I have to keep that stuff organized...lol.

Another huge help that I find myself using more and more these days are mobile phone pictures.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:53 AM
RedFive_R5
Mountain Pass

I plan to be very organized. The rust is so bad though, I see myself hammering out all the fasteners or torching them out. Then re-ordering the nuts and bolts as I need to.

Originally Posted by Rembrant
Another huge help that I find myself using more and more these days are mobile phone pictures.
My idea is to use the digital camera I have. It automatically gives each image a numeric label. I think what I'll do is take images and label the bags according to the image numbers...

Old 02-19-2018, 08:14 PM
RedFive_R5
Mountain Pass
Mod question

I'm about to start the many sub-projects within the rebuild of this 1980. Should I just post them all within this thread, or start a new one for each category? For example, Engine tune-up, frame swap, body work, electrical, etc.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:36 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,360 Posts
I would break it up. I personally do not like 100 page threads. But whatever you want to do, it's personal preference.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:34 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
I'm about to start the many sub-projects within the rebuild of this 1980. Should I just post them all within this thread, or start a new one for each category? For example, Engine tune-up, frame swap, body work, electrical, etc.
Easier for most us to track if it is one thread and you can see the progress with out jumping all over the forum. But ultimately it is up to you.