2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 5.4 3v Rough idle, Stalls and Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 11:48 AM
Sidney471
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for my own personal knowledge, are the expedition engines from 04-08 interchangeable? I'm honestly thinking I'll just see if I can pull an engine at one of the ATL pull-a-parts.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:53 AM
shaggyb00m
Freshman User
I know my wifes 06 5.4 3v engine and my 04 f150 5.43v are the same from what my dealer told me but after looking at her engine and comparing it with mine they didnt look the exact same. I may be wrong

Old 02-19-2018, 11:58 AM
07F150Lariat5.4
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sidney471
Just for my own personal knowledge, are the expedition engines from 04-08 interchangeable? I'm honestly thinking I'll just see if I can pull an engine at one of the ATL pull-a-parts.
Not completely sure, but I believe they are all the same. I have to leave a little room here for error, however. Hopefully someone else with some extra knowledge on that particular aspect will chime in.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Sidney471
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 07F150Lariat5.4

Not completely sure, but I believe they are all the same. I have to leave a little room here for error, however. Hopefully someone else with some extra knowledge on that particular aspect will chime in.
Here's another question for you.. if my engine was indeed replaced with a newer 11th gen motor.. Shouldn't there be less bolts on the valve cover gasket? If I'm not mistaken I read where they revamped that in the 06 and in years?

Old 02-19-2018, 12:59 PM
07F150Lariat5.4
Tuned

Here's another question for you.. if my engine was indeed replaced with a newer 11th gen motor.. Shouldn't there be less bolts on the valve cover gasket? If I'm not mistaken I read where they revamped that in the 06 and in years?
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure on that either. However, the fact that the VCT opening is smaller as you said and I believe you also said the valve cover has no sticker with a bar code on them, correct? Every truck with its original engine should have a bar code sticker on the valve cover with the DOM for the engine. That leads me to believe it has in fact been replaced. Engines built in 2007 and later went to the smaller VCT opening. The larger VCT opening where you could remove the VCT solenoid without removal of the valve covers was exclusive from the 2004-2006 model years. Unless, for some reason, they replaced the valve covers, but is unlikely that is the case here.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:04 PM
TiresnTracks
New User
Not sure what phase you are in with getting ur 5.4 3v back together? but in my own similar problem...I just physically unplugged the VCT's and my problem disappeared for months.. Drove it to and from work on the highway until I could o the entire system. Its a dead give away that My vcts were not working and oil pressure was too low. It gave me service engine soon light on but was very drivable and good power till I got round to it. Changed my plugs later which were misfiring a bit...dont use the Champions if You do. Use the ford motorcraft...the champions misfired right offf the bat and I have one here where the porcelian insulator was deformed out of the package...it ws loose actully slipped down causing a buck and miss again!

Old 02-20-2018, 10:55 AM
TiresnTracks
New User
As far as engine identification this may help...my truck is 2006 with a 2008 engine and I noticed that the cop insulators are TAN in color in the 2008. I found out that Ford changed them half way through 2008 to help with sealing the dirt out of there and they also made the cylinder they go down into a bit more Conical to help the seal also. Part of my misfire issue with the original 2006 engine was somebody installed two TAN ones in on cylinders 1 and 6 along with the original black ones on that 5.4 3v. Did not think much of it till I saw them in my 2008 engine.
Not the best indicator you have a replacement engine but may help.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:42 PM
Sidney471
Freshman User
Update

So after determining that the engine wasn't as old as the truck and there wasn't a decent priced used enginen within 200 miles of me, we dug in.

Replaced VCT's, timing chains, tensioners, guides, cam phasers, crankshaft sprocket, seals, etc. You get the idea, we went big, not home. Mind you, the original parts were all still very well intact. No slop, not a single broken guide, not even a chip. Camshaft components checked out fine. Double, triple checked timing and everything before reassembling.

Engine still misses seems to have even become more violent. Getting codes P0022 (reckon I'll have to sell my soul to rid my life of that one) P0171 and P2198. I've read there's some missing issues with the MAF and other components. What would y'all recommend tackling first? Preferebaly in the order of cheapest to not cheap process of eliminations. Clean the MAS, TB? Sticky injectors? How to fix these? You guys have helped me a ton and hoping you guys can dig me out of one more hole 😅

All responses are highly appreciated. Whether right or wrong.

Sidney

Old 04-16-2018, 10:33 AM
07F150Lariat5.4
Tuned
So after determining that the engine wasn't as old as the truck and there wasn't a decent priced used enginen within 200 miles of me, we dug in.

Replaced VCT's, timing chains, tensioners, guides, cam phasers, crankshaft sprocket, seals, etc. You get the idea, we went big, not home. Mind you, the original parts were all still very well intact. No slop, not a single broken guide, not even a chip. Camshaft components checked out fine. Double, triple checked timing and everything before reassembling.

Engine still misses seems to have even become more violent. Getting codes P0022 (reckon I'll have to sell my soul to rid my life of that one) P0171 and P2198. I've read there's some missing issues with the MAF and other components. What would y'all recommend tackling first? Preferebaly in the order of cheapest to not cheap process of eliminations. Clean the MAS, TB? Sticky injectors? How to fix these? You guys have helped me a ton and hoping you guys can dig me out of one more hole 😅

All responses are highly appreciated. Whether right or wrong.

Sidney
Sorry to hear about the continuation of your troubles. Did you double check the timing on both sides? You may have the chain off a tooth on the drivers side. I’ve heard before an issue like this can cause a wide variety of other codes.

Since you have a lean code, I would first get a can of starting fluid and spray it all around the intake manifold and throttle body and see if the idle speed increases.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:48 AM
Sidney471
Freshman User
The markings were checked multiple times before reinstalling. All Colored links and their correlating markings were as instructed before the front cover was reinstalled. It cranks fine and this issue seems to only become an issue at operating temps.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:04 PM
07F150Lariat5.4
Tuned
The markings were checked multiple times before reinstalling. All Colored links and their correlating markings were as instructed before the front cover was reinstalled. It cranks fine and this issue seems to only become an issue at operating temps.
Did you replace the oil pump while you were in there? Not saying that’s the problem, but it’s a good idea since some of the OEM pumps get weak.

Have you checked all connections? Vct’s, cam sensors, the whole 9 yards? I would go over it once more and heavily scrutinize every aspect of the engine.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:19 PM
Sidney471
Freshman User
Yes, I replaced the oil pump with the Mellins brand I believe is how it's spelled.

We went over the engine again as we reinstalled and then and then realized the problem persisted. All connections are as they should be. But will apply some extra scrutiny to it. Aside from those obvious factors.. We're are some alternative issues? FPDM? Vacuum leak? Clogged O2 sensors/cats? Injectors?

There are no misfire on engine bank codes P03+ codes usually related to Plugs. I'm at a loss and now verstaying my welcome with the car I have borrowed for this exploration I've been on with the truck.

Thank you!

Old 04-16-2018, 12:36 PM
07F150Lariat5.4
Tuned
What arouses suspicion to me is the P0171 code. That is a lean code for bank 1. Take a can of carb cleaner and spray around the edges of the intake manifold and throttle body and just see if you get any increases in engine RPMs indicating a vacuum leak there.

Second thing I would do would be unplug the injector plugs and examine the lock mechanism to make sure none are broke and the prongs are indeed in good shape.

Third: Double check MAF and make sure it is clean.

The thing that boggles my mind as well is how you say it's still (seemingly) acting up only at hot idle. If it were the fuel pump or FPDM, it should be running rough, regardless of cold or hot engine temps.

One last question I have: Did you pull the oil pan off and inspect the sump screen? I doubt it would be clogged, but still good to be double sure.

Another option would be to have a code reader with the ability to read live data from the O2 sensors. That may be causing the whole problem. If user F150Torqued stops in, he should be able to provide in exact detail what to look for when using a live data reader as I am not good with that particular aspect of diagnostic troubleshooting.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Sidney471
Freshman User
Since yesterday my dad was able to check for Vacuum leaks and visually inspect the FPDM. No visual signs/sounds of vacuum leaks. FDPM operating as normal. Ran the engine again and got codes P2195 (bank 1 stuck lean) P2198 (02 stuck rich) and P0171 (bank 1 lean). This truck idles as normal in park/neutral at around 675 and will only act once the engine is placed under a load. Hopefully this will help draw some suggestions!
Thanks again!

Old 04-19-2018, 11:00 AM
Sidney471
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 07F150Lariat5.4
What arouses suspicion to me is the P0171 code. That is a lean code for bank 1. Take a can of carb cleaner and spray around the edges of the intake manifold and throttle body and just see if you get any increases in engine RPMs indicating a vacuum leak there.

Second thing I would do would be unplug the injector plugs and examine the lock mechanism to make sure none are broke and the prongs are indeed in good shape.

Third: Double check MAF and make sure it is clean.

The thing that boggles my mind as well is how you say it's still (seemingly) acting up only at hot idle. If it were the fuel pump or FPDM, it should be running rough, regardless of cold or hot engine temps.

One last question I have: Did you pull the oil pan off and inspect the sump screen? I doubt it would be clogged, but still good to be double sure.

Another option would be to have a code reader with the ability to read live data from the O2 sensors. That may be causing the whole problem. If user F150Torqued stops in, he should be able to provide in exact detail what to look for when using a live data reader as I am not good with that particular aspect of diagnostic troubleshooting.
So my dad was able to get out and just try a few more thing on the truck to hely give you guys some information and here is what he found...

When unplugging the coils one at a time as well as the injectors, the engine function does not change at all. Seems this side of the engine is dead. Could this be the cause of injectors being stuck closed? Plugs gone bad (aside from the fact they aren't kicking the normal codes?) Sorry if this i becoming redundant, just looking for advise.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to respond!

Quick Reply: 2004 5.4 3v Rough idle, Stalls and Misfire