Intermittant wipers issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 10:29 AM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Intermittant wipers issue

Hey Folks!

I've done some searching and it seems all problems with intermittent wipers are the switch, but here's a good one.

My 98' F150 4x4-4.2 V6, the intermittent wipers quit working driving home but low and hi speed still work.

Shut off the engine, turn on the key, intermittent wipers work.
Start the engine, try the wipers, intermittent don't work, only low and hi speed.

WTF?

Besides it possibly being the wiper switch, I wondered if a relay can cause this issue? I think there is a 30a relay for this circuit.

One other reason I mention that is on 2 other vehicles I've recently had weirdness that was caused by a bad relay or a simple reseating of the relay.

Like being in a certain condition it fails, reseat the relay, condition clears kind of thing.

Right now I'm guessing, been down with a touch of the flu since this occurred, feeling better so I thought I'd ask you all for any suggestions.

Found a post about pulling the end cap off the switch and cleaning it but in my case, it works (if the engine is off) which don't make much sense to me right now.(could be the meds!).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance yall!

as soon as I'm able I'm going to reseat the relay and test but if that don't work, not sure on plan b yet.

My front end started squeaking very badly during the last snow/salt onslaught and I had a passenger top ball joint get replaced for inspection late august so I may have some expensive front end work to get done on top of the wiper issue!

When it rains it pours!

T

Old 02-07-2018, 10:58 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
The same relay is use for power to the motor whether you use low, high, or int. Your most likely culprit is the delay adjustment switch is worn on the MFS assembly.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:37 AM
Chad T. Keogh
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with alloro, that it is most likely the switch is worn. Whenever I encounter an electronic issue, I will always start with a system reset. Like anything computerized, they get glitchy.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:52 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Old 02-09-2018, 11:30 AM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
Thanks all for the reply's, I'll try to work on this when I'm feeling better.
Also, I managed to go out and re-test and they started are working again.
Could have been a fluke but at least now if it does it again I have an idea.

Hey Chad, speaking the system reset, I suppose that would wipe any trouble codes? I may check and see if it's reporting any before doing that. I think my brother has a code checker.

Thanks all!

T

Old 02-09-2018, 01:25 PM
Lime1GT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
I don't think a KAM reset is required here. You'll lose all your engines learned driving conditions. Also a P1000 code will be generated until all the drive cycles are relearned. A scanner should be used to check for codes and also to clear them without losing engine memory.

I'd probably try cleaning the switch and circuit board in the turn signal stock which may be accessed on some vehicles. Do a search for intermittent wiper switch repair for your model. There may be one on this forum or others.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:45 PM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
Hey Guys,

This job got sidelined until today, the intermittent wiper problems actually cleared up for a few weeks after my original posting, then during the deluge of rain we've received in the past week (so bad it's closed a few roads around here) it returned
while driving in the worst of it.

I was not sure how to pull my switch apart, I got it out of the truck ok, so I went and found a new one at my local advance auto, no luck it does the same thing.

IF the key is on (engine off) the intermittent wipers work, low and hi work fine.
Start the engine, intermittent only quit working, low and hi work fine.

Both MFS assembly's have the same issue.

So I started pulling/reseating the relays under the hood, there are 3 identical, I moved them around, tried it with one missing, etc.
Well that didn't fix anything, so I'm back to "I don't know what's wrong here", maybe there's another relay somewhere that's faulty?
Thought I read in another post about one under the dash on the passenger side area.

Anybody seen this issue before? Thanks in advance for any more suggestions.

T

Old 05-20-2018, 09:32 AM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
Also, after I installed the new turn signal/wiper MFS and still had my problem, I finally found a link on "how" to disassemble the (wiper intermittent/low/hi switch) end of the turn signal stalk.
http://www.fordf150.net/howto/fix-in...er-problem.php

just fyi in anyone needs it,

T

Old 05-21-2018, 07:55 AM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
Hey Guys,

New "symptom" noticed this weekend,

WITH the new MFS installed, still have no intermittent wipers, but now I noticed the low speed wipers act different when in Park and Neutral than they do when in drive.
Still no intermittent wipers, only low and hi work.
In Drive, low speed acts like the fastest intermittent setting. It wipes, hesitates, and wipes again.
In Park or Neutral, low speed acts normal, it wipes back n forth with no hesitation between wipes.

WTF?? This thing is acting haunted!
From the research I've done, it's been all parts suspect. But one thing I've noticed is the passenger side dash relay click no longer is noticed, isn't there a wiper control module under the dash over there somewhere?
Also, I've heard/read the wiper motor itself and it's contacts that control the park mode could also be suspect.

I hope someone can help me with this one, I hate to trade this truck in for a new one just because of this! (I've only got 43k on it!!)

Thanks yall!

T

Old 05-21-2018, 10:00 AM
alloro
Since the problem cleared up then reoccurred with the heavy rain it is obvious now that your windshield has the infamous leak. This leak allows water to drip down into the GEM and creates all sort of electrical gremlins. A way to test this is to run the blower motor on high, (not on recycle), and close all the windows so the cabin pressurizes. Then spray water around the edge of the windshield to see if air bubbles out. Anywhere you see bubbles come out is where water will go in. The solution is to have the windshield re-sealed at an automotive glass company.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:06 PM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by alloro
Since the problem cleared up then reoccurred with the heavy rain it is obvious now that your windshield has the infamous leak. This leak allows water to drip down into the GEM and creates all sort of electrical gremlins. A way to test this is to run the blower motor on high, (not on recycle), and close all the windows so the cabin pressurizes. Then spray water around the edge of the windshield to see if air bubbles out. Anywhere you see bubbles come out is where water will go in. The solution is to have the windshield re-sealed at an automotive glass company.
Hey alloro;
That very well could be a possibility;
I did have the windshield replaced back in august of 2017, we haven't had a rain like recently for years. I even noticed the top of my headliner (right above the driver) was wet, that's never happened before.
I either have a hi window leak or a hole in the roof (noticed the 2 body seams on the roof with the rubberized sealant).

I need a new headliner anyways (it's drooping over the driver and passenger head room) so if I can find out how to remove that I may can find my water leak, cause right now that does seem like the likely culprit.
Thank you for the information, I'll see what I can do and repost as soon as I know.

Thanks guys!

T

Last edited by doublecanister; 05-21-2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-23-2018, 10:45 AM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
hey Folks,

Update: I removed the headliner last night (actually while it was raining) I was unable to
locate any leaks from the top of the cab, top of rear window or top of front windshield.

It was dry as a bone, no notice of any water on the floor either. I felt around in the channels of the
cab frame, no notice of water or any rust either.

The headliner needed pulling anyways, all it did was droop on the top of my head, i'll look into
recovering it or getting a replacement if they are available.

Next check is going to be under the dash for water and I'll try the cabin pressurization/check for bubbles around the
window frames when I can, figure a bit of soapy water would do (like checking tires for leaks right?).

Stay tuned!

T

Old 05-23-2018, 08:18 PM
doublecanister
Mountain Pass
Hey folks, one other question regarding a water leak on the GEM module...
if that were the case....

Wouldn't I have more electrical issues that just no intermittent wipers?
From what I understand the GEM is on the rear of the main fuse box, I am making an assumption here that water on this device could cause way more troubles than I have.

Just trying to wrap my mind around that issue and what is the other relay location in the glove box area that I don't hear clicking anymore...

T

Old 05-24-2018, 06:38 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by doublecanister
I either have a hi window leak or a hole in the roof
No sunroof, correct?

Old 05-24-2018, 06:39 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by doublecanister
a bit of soapy water would do (like checking tires for leaks right?
Yes, soapy water is much better than plain water.

Quick Reply: Intermittant wipers issue