1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help with Altman Latches

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 05:09 PM
jakevidrine
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Help with Altman Latches

I installed altman latches in my 54 f100 and I am having problems getting them to work properly. The latch moves freely and seems to work perfectly, the door is properly aligned and the **** on the door pillar is lined up with the center of the door latch but when I close the door it jams very tight. I have to press the button on the handle and jerk as hard as I can several times to get the latch to release...

I welded in the altman panels so there isn't much adjustment on that side... I'm thinking that possible the ***** aren't sticking out far enough but I don't know where to start trouble shooting this....

has anyone had any similar issues?

Old 02-06-2018, 05:39 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Check the striker stud it maybe to far out or not far enough out. I did not use the washer supplied with the kit I used fender washers

Old 02-06-2018, 05:44 PM
jakevidrine
Mountain Pass
That's what I'm thinking, I think its not sticking out far enough. I'll see if I can put a washer behind it and move it another 1/16" out.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:02 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Here is a good photo of what the latch and striker pin should look like when properly setup. On some installations I have had to shim the striker pin to move it out a bit. To do that I used a stainless steel washer that I sanded down to make it the same diameter as the beveled washer on the striker pin. The pin on the green truck has been shimmed...as you can see, the shim is not noticeable.

Attached Images   
Old 02-06-2018, 07:16 PM
jakevidrine
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the pictures! That’s exactly what the problem is, mine is hitting almost on the head of the pin. I’ll pickup some washer at fastenal tomorrow and do this.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:22 AM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Jake,

Mine was in the same boat. I used washers to mock up. Then I ordered some Autoloc Stainless Strikers. They were a little longer and gave me enough to clear.

I ordered them through amazon for 9.00 2 months ago. I don't know why the price is jacked up now...

Amazon Amazon
=

I also had to order them because the striker bolt seized up in the plate, and snapped off. I guess when my door binded shut, the force from me pushing it open bent the striker. I had to cut open the door frame to fix it, what a pain.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:31 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Not to but a few months back some one was talking about striker bolts with rounded heads used in conjunction with Altman latches. Anyone know where the thread is or where they can be acquired.
Sorry

Old 02-07-2018, 09:27 AM
jakevidrine
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by clintonvillian
Jake,

Mine was in the same boat. I used washers to mock up. Then I ordered some Autoloc Stainless Strikers. They were a little longer and gave me enough to clear.

I ordered them through amazon for 9.00 2 months ago. I don't know why the price is jacked up now...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TVN7IO...coding=UTF8&me=

I also had to order them because the striker bolt seized up in the plate, and snapped off. I guess when my door binded shut, the force from me pushing it open bent the striker. I had to cut open the door frame to fix it, what a pain.
thanks, I’ll try these and see if they help out the situation. I thought about machining some new ones but I’m out of stainless and I don’t have the need for a 20’ joint at the moment...

Old 02-07-2018, 09:31 AM
jakevidrine
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Not to but a few months back some one was talking about striker bolts with rounded heads used in conjunction with Altman latches. Anyone know where the thread is or where they can be acquired.
Sorry
these?

https://watsons-streetworks.com/product/s24b/

Old 02-07-2018, 10:54 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Also make sure that in the end that you do not use the striker to position the door correctly (up and down). Otherwise cracks will develop over time in the B pillar around the striker.

And if you also have a more powerful engine or heavier engine (diesel) that your frame has been strengthened (boxing, etc) to reduce flex or the same thing can happen.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:16 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Jake,

Let me measure mine when I get off work.

That way you know for sure.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:40 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Been a few months since I worked on mine.

The Autoloc's overall length is longer. But it is in the threaded portion. The striker portion is the same length as the altmans.

Sorry...........

Old 02-07-2018, 06:44 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
Here is a good photo of what the latch and striker pin should look like when properly setup. On some installations I have had to shim the striker pin to move it out a bit. To do that I used a stainless steel washer that I sanded down to make it the same diameter as the beveled washer on the striker pin. The pin on the green truck has been shimmed...as you can see, the shim is not noticeable.
Charlie,

What di you use to fill over the outer skin seam?

Old 02-07-2018, 06:49 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jakevidrine

thanks, I’ll try these and see if they help out the situation. I thought about machining some new ones but I’m out of stainless and I don’t have the need for a 20’ joint at the moment...
I was debating ordering some long stainless allen head bolts and turning the ends down and threading them on my lathe....

Here ae some from Fastenal:

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/74115?r=~%7Ccategoryl1:"600000 Fasteners"%7C~ ~%7Ccategoryl2:"600039 Sockets"%7C~ ~%7Ccategoryl3:"602314 Socket Shoulder Bolts"%7C~ ~%7Csattr03:%5E"Stainless Steel"$%7C~

Old 02-07-2018, 07:39 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by clintonvillian
Charlie,

What did you use to fill over the outer skin seam?
I use Evercoat Metal-2-Metal for these recessed areas. Very high adhesion, high strength aluminum filled filler...at around $40 a quart I use it sparingly. Feathers nicely when sanded too.

Quick Reply: Help with Altman Latches