1987 Fleetwood Lynx and 2015 F250

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 09:23 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 48 Posts
Jim,
Funny no alcohol was consumed! Just my normal look
Will have to do some more research on the genny. Good suggestions!
We do not have any new electronics in the old camper.
Regards,
Chris

Old 06-13-2018, 09:35 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,718 Likes on 2,755 Posts
Solar might be an option also. Here in Colorado I can get by with minimal use of my generator except for the A/C and the microwave. A less than sunny day will have me running the generator to top off the batteries. I have a single 165 watt panel.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:56 AM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Jim,
Folks,
Our son had a small Honda 650 generator that he let me borrow. It seemed to run the lights good. but will not work for air conditioner. So if we travel some more, this one may go with us.
Hope things are good out there towing things!
Regards,
Chris

Old 07-01-2018, 08:33 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Folks,
Just a shot of the LYNX in the back yard:
Not a bad place to camp!
Name:  tp36Ukg.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  105.7 KB

Good place to relax with a cool beverage!

Regards,
Chris

Old 07-03-2018, 12:01 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 1,001 Posts
Nice...now if it wasn't 95 degrees.......

Old 07-04-2018, 07:40 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Bud,
Yes it is toasty! Stayed busy outside all day and the air-conditioning feels real good tonight!
Regards,
Chris

Old 07-06-2018, 01:31 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,502 Likes on 1,307 Posts
That looks like the perfect mobile hunting camp for deer/ elk season and just picture sitting at the roaring campfire and a cold beverage at the end of the day.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:01 AM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Scraprat,Folks,
This little camper is our first attempt at this. We stayed overnight at local tractor show last weekend. Not roughing it like you! Love your pictures and the dogs too. While at the last camping event our water pump would not prime. When I got home I took the small water filter apart water started to flow, and the pump then primed. So not sure what is up with that?
Regards,
​​​​​​​ Chris

Old 07-24-2018, 09:06 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
For the water pump that screw on see through bowl with the screen in it is always the first thing to look at, it doesn't take much to block the fine mesh. Depending on your pump there are rebuild kits for the seals/ diaprams inside. Fairly simple to rebuild getting the pump out can be the hardest part sometimes.

I'm not roughing it there are all the conveniences of home just with better views and little to no neighbors.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:37 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Scraprat,
Yea I know your not 'roughing it'! And the pictures you post are awesome. Your posts helped me a lot last fall when I was up most of the night with sciatic leg pain!
I have our little grand dog, Sunny Boy, a mini Austrailian Shepard setting/laying next to me. They are very smart, and cute too.
Thanks for the tip on the water system. Yes there was some small particials in the screen. There should be a shut off between the tank and that screen. Might try to find one and install. That way you could clean the filter with minimal water to clean up.
Regards,
Chris

Old 07-24-2018, 04:05 PM
backtrack2015
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Effies 56
Backtrack2015, Folks,
Hadn't thought about the aerodynamics of this little 5th wheel, till you mentioned it. But that low profile front is not for claustrophobic sleepers! I thought maybe I should get a little better mileage than that? Just havent pulled it much. Tractor show this weekend so the truck will get a chance to pull the Allis D17 to the event.
Regards,
Chris
Claustrophobia is one major downside to the low profile. Every form of refuge has its price.

With respect to the fuel economy, I thought I'd share that I recently did a pretty decent trip (3000 miles) towing my little Intech Pursue. It's just a little box with wheels... basically a 5x10 utility trailer converted to serve as a camper (weighs about 1600 lbs loaded). It's roof is lower than the truck. Anyway, I got 14.6-mpg on average ripping down the road at 65- to 75-mph. I think you're doing quite well at 14-mpg overall given that your camper is wider/taller/heavier than mine.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:37 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Chris, depending on your fresh tank here might be an idea. The shut off valve is also my winterizing valve depending on which way it's turned. The hose on the other side of the valve just gets put in a jug of rv antifreeze and sucked through the system.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:35 PM
Shawn.54
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That is a small 5er but I have camped in a smaller one that was a gooseneck hitch was a factory made one but it was actually a 12’ in the bed model put on a single axle trailer frame.
The previous owner had an extension made for the gooseneck so he could pull it with a bumper hitch.
My dad pull it with a 95 f350 dualley looked quite funny the truck was way longer than the trailer.
If it keeps you warm/cool and dry it’s camping and that’s all that counts.
it’s great to see the older campers being restored and back on the road good job
shawn

Old 07-27-2018, 05:03 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Bactrack, scraprat, shawn,
Thanks for the words and support. I do have some of those shut offs on my hot water tank for winterizing. I was in Erie today and forgot to pick one up. I think my shut off for winterizing is after a tee in the line from the potable tank.
Claustrophobia, yea the wife has it bad, but I don't mention it when we are in the small camper. If I roll over I usually whack my elbows on the ceiling! We camped in the LYNX at a local tractor show last weekend and it rained all night, we were very happy to be 'high and dry' vs in a tent! Most of my toys are old anyway. I am pretty much stuck in the 50's with cars, and tractors, So I guess the step up to a late 80's camper is not uncomfortable for me. Wife would like one a little bigger. I would like to use this one a little more first and see if we like to travel.
Regards,
Chris

Old 07-28-2018, 05:20 AM
kgburns
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started out years ago with a pop-up - wife hated it (tight quarters, no bath, very little storage space, etc) but she went camping with me just because I love camping. Then I moved up to a Class C on a GM chassis - had a small bath, a bit more storage, but pretty short on living space and she hated the overhead bed, but she went camping with me. The next one up was a little bigger Class C on a Ford chassis, with a real bed down low, but that cost some storage space and it was still a bit cramped in there, especially during rainy days, but she went camping with me.

I made another stab at it with a 27 foot fifth wheel, decent size bath, quite a bit more storage area but still kinda/sorta cramped, tight for two people to pass each other in the main walkway, but she went camping with me.

Upgraded to a 30 foot rear kitchen fifth wheel, one super slide - large bath, tons of storage and counter space, plenty of room for visitors, much larger refrigerator, tons of storage space in the basement - all of a sudden, she loves camping!

Currently we have a 32 foot rear kitchen, one super slide, one master bedroom slide, walk in shower, a real king size bed. Now she's always asking me when we can take our next trip. She has also gotten pretty adept at researching campgrounds near areas that she would like to see. We're at the point where I have to slow her down at times and remind her that while I am retired, there are things that have to be done around the farm and I need to be here at least part of the time.

We rarely take weekend trips, the majority of our trips are at least 8 days and we take two or three 15 day trips through the year.

Quick Reply: 1987 Fleetwood Lynx and 2015 F250