My 78 F150 Custom 4x4 SWB

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 12:29 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
awesome work, seems that your into everything
Thanks, I've spent most of my time on classic Fords and Jeeps, but have owned 2 AMC Rambler Classic Convertibles (1st project car when I was 12), done basic repairs on various imports, and started a build of a 93 Nissan 240 until my brother lost time, and sold it. We were working on a LS1 and T56 swap for the 240. Within the next 5 years I plan to start cosmetic restoration on my 1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer, my parents' bought it new in Jan 96, and I've been driving it since I was able. It's currently my daily driver, after living through my brothers and I growing up in it, and now my 2 boys, it's in need of some love for the front seats and carpet.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:47 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That Renegade sure looks nice. Very nice colours and paint.

Can't wait to see where this dentside build goes

Old 04-13-2018, 11:26 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
That Renegade sure looks nice. Very nice colours and paint.

Can't wait to see where this dentside build goes
Thanks, that's the original paint and decals. Sadly, to preserve the nearly rust/rot free body I'll have to repaint it within the next 12mo as paint has several areas wore down to metal starting to rust. Only rot is less than 1" in diameter under the driver's seat belt lower mount, common area, that I have a section out of a donor tub to graft in. She still has all the original decals for emissions, etc... original owner's manual w/ blank warranty card. I lucked out on it, got it on even trade for a built 97 Cherokee. Cherokee was worth maybe 4500 cash, as they don't hold value regardless of upgrades. Jeep as it sits now is triple that. I also have a super rare original Whitco Soft top for it, in Nutmeg to match my interior, along with a nutmeg Bestop Bikini Top... All obsolete colors/choices. Last soft top like mine sold for nearly 1700 on ebay a few years ago, with a minor tear in the rear window.

As for the dent... it'll be a couple week's were spending time/energy to get my CJ out of my buddy's shop, where it's been stored since July of last year during the rebuild of all the drivetrain. Once it's done, we're fixing another buddy's Super Duty build, adding in traction bars, and regearing the rear axle. Then I can install the new suspension on the 78 using his 2post Lift. I will post updates between then on the 460.

Feel free to check out the link in my signature to my site, I've got a lot of details on my past builds there if interested.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:40 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Put the Ol Truck to work over the weekend, 2 loads of mulch then moving some stone around on our property...

Started noticing some fairly major driveline vibrations under load/acceleration, found one of the u-joint caps coming apart at the rear pinion yoke. So it’ll be parked until i get 3 new u-joints & double cardan joint & rebuild the rear driveshaft. Just glad I caught it before it spit the shaft.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:34 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
Originally Posted by skyhawc
Put the Ol Truck to work over the weekend, 2 loads of mulch then moving some stone around on our property...

Started noticing some fairly major driveline vibrations under load/acceleration, found one of the u-joint caps coming apart at the rear pinion yoke. So it’ll be parked until i get 3 new u-joints & double cardan joint & rebuild the rear driveshaft. Just glad I caught it before it spit the shaft.
my back hurts looking at that. Glad you caught the u-joint. truck still running good?

Old 04-16-2018, 08:21 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
my back hurts looking at that. Glad you caught the u-joint. truck still running good?
Runs great for a stock 351M with longtube headers. Especially since it sat for 5-6yrs before April of last year.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:38 AM
skyhawc
Senior User
Just got the call from the machine shop, Bores are tight @ .028 over vs .030, now we’re going to Mic. all the pistons, then hone to size. Line bore was good.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:06 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Block was finished up Friday Morning. The wife and I were in Kentucky for our anniversary/my bday, so I'll be picking it up tomorrow. They've got a set of rings for it also. Reassembly starts soon.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:18 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That means more pics coming! Nice

Old 04-23-2018, 08:42 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
That means more pics coming! Nice
A few... haha, found reason of U-joint failure, After my surgery last summer, I forgot to retorque the ubolts after a few miles on them.

Block with quick coat of engine enamel, still need to scrub cylinders with hoat soapy water & abrush to get last bit of machining residue out before I start assembly. Before that I need to focus on getting interior back in the Galaxie & cleaning my shop space.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:38 PM
skyhawc
Senior User

Looking for quick recommendations/solutions...

pulled suspension apart to install lift & had the 4 total lower coil retainer/cup bolts snap off. My buddy & I with combined 50+yrs experience threw every trick we know at it. Welded nuts to bolt remnants, heating bolt in process til cherry red, while also heating the radius arms/csps. Just ended up snapping the last nub of the bolt off nearly flush with the arms...

Old 06-30-2018, 11:58 PM
75BigBlock
Elder User
I'm not experienced with this, but...

Dry ice? I work with cultures and they're kept with dry ice when they're delivered, so it's always the first thing I think of.
Heat cycle it? Like get it super hot and then super cold and see if it loosens anything?
If it's more than just a rusty grip on things, I'd have no clue other than a tap and die/drill, if that's even an option.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:08 AM
skyhawc
Senior User
Not sure that would yield any different result thsn the welded nut & heat cycle with map -gas torch. Hardened steel bolts in cast steel radius arms, have essentially fuse-welded theselves together via corrosion

Old 07-02-2018, 06:32 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
Need drill press or mill. Id say at this point your only option is to drill and retap or buy some good used caps. Maybe hit this guy up see if he has more
https://www.ebay.com/itm/73-79-Ford-...EAAOSwi3tbFLpf

Old 07-03-2018, 10:15 PM
skyhawc
Senior User
Dropped them off at local machinr shop, drilled out & tapped up a size to 1/2x13. Cost $100 well worth not having to hang onto the drill press for 2-3hrs.

Quick Reply: My 78 F150 Custom 4x4 SWB